Eliminate the query letter in this case??

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I came across an agent listing that looked promising for my particular manuscript. Under "Submission Guidelines" the words said the agent wanted 3 things: 1) a synopsis (didn't say how long); 2) the first 50 pages; and 3) a SASE. I'm thinking that perhaps a typical query letter isn't necessary in this case. It seems to me that the sole purpose of a query letter is to entice the agent to read a synopsis and part of your work. If they state up front that they already want your synopsis and part of your work, I would think one could just forward a perfunctory cover letter basically saying "enclosed is the synopsis and first 50 pages per your guidelines." . . . . Something like that. Am I wrong, or should I make the cover letter into some kind of query letter?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I would still use the pitch paragraph in your query also. It shows you know what you have written and can save them work in making up the pitch themselves.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
they didn't say they'd read the 1st 50

Put in a short query, a hook, something to get them interested. Just because they ask for it doesn't mean they're going to read it.

I suspect they want the 1st 50 just in case the query is interesting.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Follow instructions. Give an agent exactly what she asks for, and nothing else. What can you possibly say in the query that a normal cover letter and synopsis won't cover?

Raquel

Registered
Reaction score
I think a query should still be included. If they don't like the query they aren't likely to read further, but if it's a good query definitely include it.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Umgowa, on second thought, both you and James are correct. If the agent asks for those three specific things, then that is what you send.There is probably a reason for their request.

Good luck!

kangolNcurlz

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just send what they want, too. A query is supposed to entice them to read pages without going into detail about the novel. They're already requesting the pages and a synopsis. The synopsis goes into detail about the ms, covering everything in the query, plus more. In a sense, a query would be redundant if they're already requesting the synopsis. But this agent isn't requesting both, so I'd just send what s/he wants.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I read somewhere to give them exactly what they ask for so I think you should skip the query. What is really important is to make sure the submission guidelines are the latest. You can go wrong with third party websites because information can change and not be updated but if you stick to what's on the agent's website, you can't go wrong. Good luck!!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think a query should still be included. If they don't like the query they aren't likely to read further, but if it's a good query definitely include it.

Why would you want to include something they didn't ask for, and that might make them decide to read nothing else?

There's simply nothing you can say in a query that won't be in the cover letter or the synopsis.

A query doesn't even serve a purpose in this case. The entire point of a query is to convince an agent to read some of your writing. Here we have an agent who already wants to read more of your writing, and you're going to risk talking her out of it?

You're also risking having the agent think, "Can't this dummy even follow simple guidelines?"

This is never a good idea.