Publisher's Promotion Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent

learned my lesson well
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve made very few posts on this forum because I really don’t have the knowledge or experience to help other writers. However, I’ve been lurking around for nearly two years now, reading and learning. And I want to thank all those who manage and contribute to AW. You have been a great help to me in practically every facet of writing and getting published. I’m 60 years old and have written a book of my unique experiences. Recently, after following advice offered to others on this forum, I signed a publishing contract. I don’t want to mention the book’s title or publisher (it’s not a POD) because I don’t want anyone to think I’m trying to pre-sell copies. But I would like some more advice. I don’t have an agent, so I asked the publisher directly what his plans were regarding the promotion of my book which is due to be released in May. Below is his answer. Previously I had asked him if he would submit my book for reviews. He answered that it would be submitted to Kirkus, PW and a couple of others. My question is this: Is the publisher’s plan typical? Good or bad? Adequate or inadequate? The publisher is fairly small and I have no doubt its resources are limited. …..the reply below....

First and foremost, we issue a press release to all the major news outlets. We also send the book to newspapers for review. For your book, we will send a copy each to the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun, New York Times, Houston Chronicle and the Dallas Morning News. That covers our homebase, your hometown and two other cities that are relevant to the book.
As far as marketing, we have advertising campaigns on FOX News Website, Facebook and sometimes CNN Website (FOX gets the word out better, more of our target audience than CNN – for your book, CNN will be probably be a little better). We also create a trailer for the book. We also contact the author’s local broadcast stations. As far as a press kit goes, we do not put together any sort of kit, but we will provide you with flyers and bookmarks (and a copy of our press release). As you have probably read, there is no one ‘right" way to prepare a press kit. Different authors have different views on what should go in it and how it should look. I have my own personal preferences and I am sure you have your own. That being said, we will provide you with certain items, but how you put all together is up to you.
For the book itself, we will include a short author bio on one of the flaps and a short synopsis on the other flap (book usually goes on the front flap, with author on the back, though we’ll work with your preferences). The back cover will be mostly blank on the copies we send for reviews. Once they come in, we will put quotes from the various papers on the back cover and that will be the released version.
We can create a facebook page for your book, or if you prefer to do that on your own, that will be fine.
Once the book is officially released and picked up by Barnes & Noble and Booksamillion, we will set up book signings and work with you to make them a success. This is where your press kit comes in handy…people love free stuff and if you hand them a bookmark, even if they don’t buy your book, it helps get the word out to their friends.
That is pretty much our "stock" answer. That being said, it is not written in stone. Between you and me, I am happy to go with any suggestions you have, in addition to the above. Our goal is to make your book a success

Again, I sincerely thank all of you for the selfless help you’ve given to total strangers.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to chime in and say that what to expect out of promotion really depends on the publisher you went with. Is this a micro or small press, a university, a Random House? I'd think it was quite good for a micro or small press, perhaps not a barn burner for a larger NY house.

So I'm going to answer, it depends.
If you want to give us your publisher then we can probably assess how this promotion is better/worse.

Kent

learned my lesson well
Registered
Reaction score
It's a small publisher - so I guess the promo plan is pretty decent. Thanks for the input.

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Ask them how you can confirm that X was sent to Y. Then actually confirm it; if you find they are keeping their word, you can trust more of what they say in the future. They're in it for money, too, so chances are they are doing what they say they are doing. All those big names look impressive, but do you know how many hundreds of books per day are sent to them for review?

No matter how good you are as a writer, you are your own best promoter. I would treat it like nothing good was going to happen without your hard work in the promoting area. After they have sent out the local stuff and you have verified, follow up if nobody contacts you. Offer interviews to local radio and tv stations. Set up book signings at smaller local places... libraries, coffee shops, fairs...your publisher won't.

Very best of luck and congratulations!

Kent

learned my lesson well
Registered
Reaction score
Splendad...sounds like good advice. As much as I will hate to "put myself out there" I had a feeling I would have to. You confirmed my feeling - and my fear. Thank you for your help.

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Well, keep in mind, Kent: you got published by a "real" press. I'm self-published, meaning that I knew, going into it, that I would be responsible for 95% of all promoting. My message to you was not to imply that your publisher won't help you--they will, because they need to survive, too, and selling books is how they do it--it's just that if you want to get "big," and get distributed... have your name floating about in as many areas and markets as possible, then you will be a big part of that. If the business is mail, consider them the post office while you are a carrier.

I hate selling, and won't do it. I write well, then promote as best I can; the story sells itself, and with some hard work, your name will begin to sell for you. That's all I was saying; sorry if I induced some kind of dread because you are in a good position right now, even before you begin promoting!

Status
Not open for further replies.