No agent or anything, but at least I'm writing again.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Wish I had an agent announcement like so many others here . . . I don't. I HAVE, though, received 139 rejections to date for my novel. I'm this close to giving up and trunking it, but I still think it's a good story and I don't want to give it up just yet.

Meanwhile, after a seven month dry spell, I'm finally writing again. I've recently begun a YA thriller (no vampires, no ghosts, no supernatural anything whatsoever) about a girl who does a youtube webshow and starts getting stalked online by someone who threatens to reveal a dark secret from her past.

I posted once about this idea in the Sandbox forum and received encouraging feedback, so it's moving forward. Two chapters in, 2,500 words so far. The goal is 60K words, no more.

I've only been lurking on AW, not posting except for rare occasions. You'll see me popping up more frequently now. My daughter's almost two now, and she's at the age now where she can play by herself for an hour while daddy writes after work and daycare.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Your newest WIP sounds really interesting, keep at it! and good luck also on your completed novel, hope you connect!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say I love the sound of your idea. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
No quitting until you've exhausted every applicable agent on the planet, and even then you have to lie in wait for new agents. However, if either that Mayan end of the world thingie or the zombie apocalypse occurs, you may stop subbing. :D

The new premise sounds great! Onward!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks for all the encouraging words, and I'm glad you guys like the premise. Obviously there's a lot more to it (she's a cheerleader, she finds out she has diabetes at 16), but I'm hoping that agents will (eventually) appreciate a YA thriller that doesn't contain any supernatural elements.

And Phaeal, I've been querying about two or three agents every weekend. Those that respond give me a standard form rejection. The query letter's been through QLH already, several different times, actually.

Another chapter down today. 21 pages, 4,200 words.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a YA reader but I like the premise!
Glad to see you are going to be haunting these parts again Allen, we all missed you;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, after a seven month dry spell, I'm finally writing again. I've recently begun a YA thriller (no vampires, no ghosts, no supernatural anything whatsoever) about a girl who does a youtube webshow and starts getting stalked online by someone who threatens to reveal a dark secret from her past.

I posted once about this idea in the Sandbox forum and received encouraging feedback, so it's moving forward. Two chapters in, 2,500 words so far. The goal is 60K words, no more.

Never give up, underthecity. This sounds like a very intriguing (and unique) premise. The Sandbox posters were right to encourage you. We're all behind you. :)

ETA: Just read your other post. A work colleague of mine has type I diabetes and one of his three daughters found out she had it at 14. It was rough and she's still angry and rebels. So that's another interesting angle. A cheerleader--the girl who everyone usually admires because she has everything--not only has a stalker but must deal with an autoimmune disease.

Last edited:

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks again for all the encouragement! I have been writing almost every day, the daily minimum goal is two pages. Doesn't sound like much, but I'm writing in between the hours of real life. I can write more on weekends. Weekend goal is two chapters.

So far, I've written 13K words and 60 pages, nine chapters.

Off and running.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you. Keep it up.:)

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
That's great, utc!! I've been where you are, I have those same rejection numbers, I've felt that same "what's the point" despair. Writing again is a great accomplishment. Tops, in fact.

So, go! Write write write!

oshun55

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on query #168, just received yet another rejection on my full yesterday and wish I could get my head back into writing my next book like you have Allen. You're an inspiration!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Great to hear you're writing again. Just keep on grinding it out and submitting the completed work. Every day puts you one day closer to success.

Sass2379

One Big Goof
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, because of work and family, I sometimes have to stop writing for a while. I'm really glad to hear that you are moving ahead. Your premise sounds awesome. Good luck!

poppyseed

Registered
Reaction score
Just getting back into the swing of things is an accomplishment in and off itself. Many people never even get word one on the page, so it's a big step forward. Congrats :)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Since posting on February 26, shortly after I started writing the current WIP, I have passed the mid point of the manuscript. I'm currently at 35,000 words and 158 pages. The plan is to finish the first draft by the end of April. Should be easier now; I've lost my job.