Different way to write 'Suddenly,'?

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I use suddenly and other variations too much. I think.

I'm constantly writing actions like this:

Suddenly, he wrapped his hands around my waist.

or

Instantly, Immediately, In that moment, All of a sudden, ect...

I notice I'm using it too much. Such in one in every other sentence almost. Is there another way to write out a fast happening action without using 'suddenly' or other variations?

As you can see, I write in 1st person POV.

Thanks

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Without noticing, my breath escaped me as he put his arms around me.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would stay far away from suddenly. I love the word. Like, I would marry it. But I have heard so much hate for that word from editor and agent blogs. I know, it is sad. But thats the word on the street.

Also, I like what bysharonnelson said, try making it clear without the suddenly.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of suddenly or any of its derivatives. Reason, its passive. IMHO...much better to just show the sudden action, though, whatever, as it occurs.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever possible, use a verb that implies suddenness. I can't think of one for the example sentence you provided, but in many cases, this works well.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

I see what you mean by using a verb to show the action. It will be tough to break, it's sort of habit for me.

I didn't know that editors didn't like that word much. Does that include all variations of it too?

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I think they dislike the over-use of any word. I have a few words that I do the same thing with so when I am editing I do cntrl-f in Word and find the word and replace it with something else. :)

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
think about what your trying to say

Suddenly technically means unexpectedly, so you can use that word, or imply that word, in your sentence. Many people use suddenly to mean quickly or abruptly, so you can use those as well.

Suddenly is kind of a vague word - do you mean unexpected, quickly, fast, unanticipated or not predicted?

A lot of the time you can simply leave "suddenly" off, we only use it because we're used to it. Very few things actually happen "suddenly."

She had absolutely no clue or hint that he was going to put his hands around her waist? A complete shock? Then he'll probably be hit up with a sexual harassment lawsuit soon :)

In your case, "unexpectedly" might have a lot more power because it's unambiguous.

Suddenly, he wrapped his hands around my waist.

Thanks

http://thesaurus.com/browse/sudden

abrupt, accelerated, acute, expeditious, fast, flash, fleet, hasty, headlong, hurried, immediate, impetuous, impromptu, impulsive, out of the blue, precipitant, precipitate, precipitous, quick, quickened, rapid, rash, rushing, spasmodic, speeded, subito, swift, unforeseen, unusual

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Much of the time it's implied and doesn't need stating explicitly. If an action is obviously fast or sudden, you don't need to spoonfeed the reader by saying so. If you're using suddenly too much, consider whether you need it at all in many cases, rather than keep looking for alternatives.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes. I have noticed after going through my last chapter and taking out all instances of suddenly and other variances, it sounds better :)
Thanks so much!

Spiteful_Taco

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
In Elmore Leonard's 10 rules of writing, one of them is never use the phrase 'all hell broke loose,' or the word 'suddenly,' when writing a novel.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you simply never use "suddenly" or "instantly", etc., you'll find the better way of saying it out of necessity.

cutecontinent

Registered
Reaction score
But can't suddenly and all of its brethren be useful every now and again?

Sometimes, it just seems to break up the rhythm in a good way, and make an action stand out, does it not? I'm talking once every couple thousand words or so. At any rate, definitely limit the use, as repetition is bad.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Another suggestion: His eager hands circled my waist.

...which puts oomph into the action, focusing on the hands, without having to underline the fact it's happening suddenly.

Or not, shrug.

-Derek

devilgate

Registered
Reaction score
More than the use of "suddenly", what I find distracting is how narrow her waist -- or how big his hands -- must be.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
How about....

With passion that took my breath away, he squeezed by teeny eeny waist.

Just kidding. :D

Suddenly is one of those words I add because I don't think my sentences are flowing well. However, once I remove the suddenly and rewrite it with active phrasing, my sentences flow just fine (and much better than they did with suddenly).