PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed pick-up line!

dpaterso
02-26-2011, 12:41 AM
I know I shouldn't, but...

Sexy monkeys wash with own urine from BBC Earth News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9404000/9404757.stm

Capuchin monkeys have what at first glance appears to be an odd habit: they urinate onto their hands then rub their urine over their bodies into their fur.

Now scientists think they know why the monkeys "urine wash" in this way.
Hold the presses! Get this! Adult male monkey urine attracts female monkeys!*

Research included MRI scanning female monkeys' brains to discover a significant increase in activity when they smelled urine.

Someone is funding this. People are actually getting paid to watch monkeys pee, and then scan other monkeys, and finally conclude this is a great way to get money allocated for scientific research.

* I'm a-gonna try this over the weekend, I'll let y'all know how I get on.

-Derek

dolores haze
02-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Speaking as someone who has had a lifelong crush on David Attenborough, I'd probably be impressed by a pick-up line informing me of these fascinating facts. Actually testing out the theory? Not so impressive, but good luck anyway. *grin*

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-26-2011, 07:27 PM
I saw a male goat piss into his own eye for that reason once.

alleycat
02-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Someone is funding this. People are actually getting paid to watch monkeys pee, and then scan other monkeys, and finally conclude this is a great way to get money allocated for scientific research.
Here in the US all sorts of weird studies are funded.

"A two-year study at the University of Southern California has found that drivers stuck in traffic jams often get frustrated and angry."

"A recent study funded by the Wheat Growers Association has determined that people who eat more bread, cereals, and cakes are happier than those who don't."

"A research study at Harvard Medical School has found that people who don't jam pencils into their eyeballs are 64% less likely to experience vision problems later in life. More research is needed, cautions those involved in the study."

SaraFMC
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Even better - Naked Mole Rats have a special toilet room, and they always roll around in it all after using it. Apparently it builds community spirit (or recognition, anyway).

Grant money though, no kidding. There's a lot of dumb studies out there. However, I would guess that this one is a side-effect of more general monkey behavior studies...

Don Allen
Its all bullshit, I piss myself every friday night and always end up alone....

Sad Soup-eating Girl
By the way, my response to such a pickup line could just be:

So you don't marinate yourself in piss. Sure, I guess your herpes really is the better option.

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Naked Mole Rats' life isn't all bad. The males die of sexual exhaustion rather than crippling, senile old age.

Mutive
07-02-2011, 04:14 AM
I know I shouldn't, but...

Sexy monkeys wash with own urine from BBC Earth News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9404000/9404757.stm

Hold the presses! Get this! Adult male monkey urine attracts female monkeys!*

There's no accounting for taste. ;)

And I'm eager to hear the results of your experiments.

(I'd totally consider trying it with different dietary influences too. You never know...)

benbradley
07-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Looks for an AW poster in next week's Police Blotter.

Here in the US all sorts of weird studies are funded.
"A recent study funded by the Wheat Growers Association has determined that people who eat more bread, cereals, and cakes are happier than those who don't."
They didn't mention the parts of the study where such people are more often fat and have more health problems, but considering who funded it you wouldn't expect it to say that anyway.