• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Guaranteed pick-up line!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I know I shouldn't, but...

Sexy monkeys wash with own urine from BBC Earth News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9404000/9404757.stm

Capuchin monkeys have what at first glance appears to be an odd habit: they urinate onto their hands then rub their urine over their bodies into their fur.

Now scientists think they know why the monkeys "urine wash" in this way.
Hold the presses! Get this! Adult male monkey urine attracts female monkeys!*

Research included MRI scanning female monkeys' brains to discover a significant increase in activity when they smelled urine.

Someone is funding this. People are actually getting paid to watch monkeys pee, and then scan other monkeys, and finally conclude this is a great way to get money allocated for scientific research.

* I'm a-gonna try this over the weekend, I'll let y'all know how I get on.

-Derek

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who has had a lifelong crush on David Attenborough, I'd probably be impressed by a pick-up line informing me of these fascinating facts. Actually testing out the theory? Not so impressive, but good luck anyway. *grin*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone is funding this. People are actually getting paid to watch monkeys pee, and then scan other monkeys, and finally conclude this is a great way to get money allocated for scientific research.
Here in the US all sorts of weird studies are funded.

"A two-year study at the University of Southern California has found that drivers stuck in traffic jams often get frustrated and angry."

"A recent study funded by the Wheat Growers Association has determined that people who eat more bread, cereals, and cakes are happier than those who don't."

"A research study at Harvard Medical School has found that people who don't jam pencils into their eyeballs are 64% less likely to experience vision problems later in life. More research is needed, cautions those involved in the study."

Last edited:

SaraFMC

Persisting.
Registered
Reaction score
Even better - Naked Mole Rats have a special toilet room, and they always roll around in it all after using it. Apparently it builds community spirit (or recognition, anyway).

Grant money though, no kidding. There's a lot of dumb studies out there. However, I would guess that this one is a side-effect of more general monkey behavior studies...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Its all bullshit, I piss myself every friday night and always end up alone....

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Looks for an AW poster in next week's Police Blotter.
Here in the US all sorts of weird studies are funded.
"A recent study funded by the Wheat Growers Association has determined that people who eat more bread, cereals, and cakes are happier than those who don't."
They didn't mention the parts of the study where such people are more often fat and have more health problems, but considering who funded it you wouldn't expect it to say that anyway.