PDA

View Full Version : Royal Wedding...street parties...WTF?

seun
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I've got Radio 2 on and Zoe Ball has just mentioned the Royal Wedding in April. She's asked if anyone is planning a street party or anything social on the day. I literally can't think of a single person I know who would do something like this. If the weather's nice, my wife and I will probably go out somewhere but that'll be because of a day off, not because of a poxy wedding between two people I have never met.

Anyone going to do anything like the Queen's Jubliee in 1977 or are we in a different world now?

Shakesbear
02-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Street party in England in April? Lord luvaduck! Think about the weather!

I might take a wander down to the local hostelry on the day - but only because they have Aspalls on draught.

seun
02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I might take a wander down to the local hostelry on the day - but only because they have Aspalls on draught.

I'll see you there.

alleycat
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
The broadcast media loves these kind of events.

If you watched some national televisions programs in the US you would think that every American was going to be crying as they watch the wedding. In real life, I have not heard a single person express the slightest interest in the thing. I'm sure a lot of people here will watch it on TV (it's kind of a fairy tale thing), but it will be as over-hyped as the Super Bowl.

MissMacchiato
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I haven't heard much in Australia about a holiday or street parties. I mean, seriously? if we're considered a colony, shouldn't we get the same hols? Ripped off, otherwise!

i'm not planning on doing anything at all, although i will probably catch the highlights. Generally these things go on for hours and are utterly boring, so I'm not uber bothered to watch the whole thing from whoa to go, as it were

Cliff Face
02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I'll totally be hosting a party for the Royal Wedding.

Mmhmm.

Okay, not so much a party, as a group channelling of the dark energies involved in such an event, attempting to bring about the Apocalypse, or at least make it rain a little.

:)

Charlee
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I will be enjoying the unexpected day off :) I don't think people do street parties any more, do they? i don't know most of my neighbours.

Cliff Face
02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I know 2 of my neighbours. 1 is a nice enough guy from England, and we chat a little when we see each other. The other is in a different house, still a guy who likes to chat, but I think he's mildly demented or something. He's very off-putting when I'm just trying to have a smoke or walk down the street or both.

Their wives I've never met, even though I've lived here for about 2 years. I know they have wives, but I've never met them...

And anyone else living in my general vicinity is completely off my radar. A street party isn't going to happen here...

Silent Rob
02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I heard on the news how there's going to be a special straight-to-TV movie released in America about the dream romance. Not a documentary, you understand, but a movie with actors and stuff.

I haven't heard much in Australia about a holiday or street parties. I mean, seriously? if we're considered a colony, shouldn't we get the same hols? Ripped off, otherwise!

There's very little point in us having colonies unless we force you all to work over the holidays, to subsidise our merrymaking.

Get to it!

I will be enjoying the unexpected day off :) I don't think people do street parties any more, do they? i don't know most of my neighbours.

I know my neighbours in the way that you know people who spend all night screaming and shouting and keeping you awake. I'd consider a street party if it involved burning their house down.

alleycat
02-25-2011, 04:11 PM
I heard on the news how there's going to be a special straight-to-TV movie released in America about the dream romance. Not a documentary, you understand, but a movie with actors and stuff.
I'm sure.

MissMacchiato
02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
lol, Rob.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some scheme in place to have extended store trading hours on that day or something... *grumble*

Silent Rob
02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
There's nothing that says dream romance like extended store trading hours...

alleycat
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Ah, Camelot . . .

seun
02-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Oh, God. Who's playing Kate? Lindsay Lohan?

Shakesbear
02-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I'll see you there.

Maybe we should have an East Anglian booze up. er meet up on the day?! I'll get the first round in!

Can you have cyber street partays?

alleycat
02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh, God. Who's playing Kate? Lindsay Lohan?
I think Katy Perry would be a better choice.

With Justin Bieber as the young William.

Cliff Face
02-25-2011, 04:39 PM
William and Cate?

I thought the 2 Royals getting hitched were Nikolaus and Anastazjia.

*shrug*

scarletpeaches
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
I wonder why it's okay to be so vocally anti about a young couple none of us have ever met, when if, for instance, it was a couple of AWers, we would most likely be modspanked for it.

I'm not saying we need to arselick them or tug our forelocks, but I don't get the mockery in this thread, nor the outright venom on other sites I've visited.

They deserve congratulations, and I for my part will probably watch it on the tellybox, if only to see The Dress.

SP, being surprisingly mature. For once.

alleycat
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I think most of the mockery has been aimed at the events surrounding the wedding, not the wedding itself.

But, irregardless, I hope you enjoy watching the wedding.

scarletpeaches
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I hate you.

alleycat
02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I hate you.
Someone needs a hug.

seun
02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Just to clarify if it's needed, I'm not mocking them. (Well, maybe a bit. At least we'll finally have an attractive queen). I'm interested in how things have changed since, say, 1977 when the idea of not having a street party was probably as odd as the idea of having one now.

Jersey Chick
02-25-2011, 05:06 PM
The idea of people throwing street parties is no weirder than way back when Survivor first premiered here and people threw Survivor parties. The wedding is (supposedly) a once in a lifetime event - Survivor is on every week. :)

That said, I may pop the wedding on - I'm a little curious about the dress. Other than that, I really don't hold a lot of interest in it - no more than I would any other 'celebrity' wedding.

scarletpeaches
02-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Ever since the royal family became more accessible, they've appeared more 'ordinary', with all the faults and foibles of the common man. I reckon it's the invasive media which has brought them to this - holding them up and instead of saying, "Let us imitate their fine example. God save the Queen!" it's closer to "They're just the same as us; why the hell should we pay them any attention?"

They were once leaders both on the battlefield and at home, then became figureheads and now they're nothing more than a collective soap opera, but more worthy of mockery for being real people. Like a reality show with rich folks.

I've never been a forelock-tugger but I do think it's a shame we no longer have an institution or figurehead to look up to. Then again, the example set by royals of days gone by was hiding a shady underbelly; just look at Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence. Queen Victoria's grandson and a right sleazy piece of work.

alleycat
02-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Ever since the royal family became more accessible, they've appeared more 'ordinary', with all the faults and foibles of the common man.
Unlike Edward VIII . . .

scarletpeaches
02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
As it happens I'm reading The Heart Has Its Reasons at the moment, and I believe that was round about the time the royals did start to become more accessible, in the 1930s.

Mr Flibble
02-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I think it's very sweet of Wills and Kate to make my birthday a national holiday :D

cray
02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
when i got quickwit's 'princess party' invitation i thought it was very strange,...

:e2smack:

it all makes sense now!
still not going but, yeah, now i understand.

Priene
02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I believe that was round about the time the royals did start to become more accessible, in the 1930s.

The Windsors, accessible? Christ on a bike, what circles do you move in?

scarletpeaches
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Publicised, then. Less mysterious. That damned wireless started it off, what what.

Silent Rob
02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Just to clarify if it's needed, I'm not mocking them. (Well, maybe a bit. At least we'll finally have an attractive queen). I'm interested in how things have changed since, say, 1977 when the idea of not having a street party was probably as odd as the idea of having one now.

To be fair, the Queen actually was pretty fine back in 1952.

scarletpeaches
02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Margaret was always prettier. Less horsey.

Silent Rob
02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
I think that qualifies as treason.

Snowstorm
02-25-2011, 07:54 PM
As far a street parties: Any reason for a partay will do ...

(And I do wish them the betrothed the best; I think it's pretty cool.)

dpaterso
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
My &deity; this is the future King and Queen of the Dark Empire of Granbretan we're talking about, let us show some respect, please! I shall be getting my part-ay on!

-Derek

Priene
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Margaret was always prettier. Less horsey.

She was a stuck-up hag in the tenth degree. Possibly the most revolting of a horrible family.

Duchessmary
02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
I will be having a solo party at God knows what hour because I can unashamedly say that I love these things. Corny-check. Romantic-check. Splendor-check. My family couldn't care less. So I will raise a glass of whatever and wallow in it with delight. :D

Shakesbear
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
She was a stuck-up hag in the tenth degree. Possibly the most revolting of a horrible family.

Totally OTT. She was, maybe, a spoilt young woman. She also had her life damaged by the expectations of the Establishment. She was given a choice - the man you love or your family and the status it has - and I think she realized when it was too late that she made the wrong choice. I really hope that Kate and Wills have a happy life - as I would hope for any couple who get married (not an institution I believe in).

Frankly, though, I blame all the faults of the modern Royals on Henry VII.

Priene
02-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Totally OTT. She was, maybe, a spoilt young woman.

She was the one who called the Irish 'pigs'? Spoilt doesn't cover it.

Frankly, though, I blame all the faults of the modern Royals on Henry VII.

I blame that dolt Richard the Third. Thank God the Tudors were able to repair some of his damage.

MaryMumsy
02-26-2011, 12:27 AM
I hope they have a lovely wedding and are very happy. With additional age and exposure at least Kate should have more of an idea what she's in for than Diana did. I felt bad that Kate didn't get her own engagement ring, but maybe she's happy with it. And any dress will be an improvement on that thing Diana wore.

MM

mirandashell
02-26-2011, 01:42 AM
To go back to the OP...

We had a street party for the Silver Jubilee. I doubt very much we'll have one for the wedding. And not because of a change of attitude to the royals, so much as a change in community.

I was a kid in 1977 and played outside every day. So I knew all the other kids in my area. And a lot of their parents. And they knew my parents.

But these days... kids don't play out. Neighbours don't know each other. So a street party? nah.

veinglory
02-26-2011, 02:03 AM
I may not be throwing a party but I would certainly go to one.

Shakesbear
02-26-2011, 02:37 AM
I blame that dolt Richard the Third. Thank God the Tudors were able to repair some of his damage.

So you won't be coming to the Hard Core Ricardian Meet later this year?
Shame...

scarletpeaches
02-26-2011, 02:38 AM
We could stick the treasonous leper on a whirlygig!

writerterri
02-26-2011, 02:42 AM
I just wish I could hear all your accents during this funny chatter.

Pip, pip!

Xelebes
02-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Nothing planned here in Canada save for the honeymoon that they are going to take here.

Belle_91
02-26-2011, 04:01 AM
I wonder why it's okay to be so vocally anti about a young couple none of us have ever met, when if, for instance, it was a couple of AWers, we would most likely be modspanked for it.

I'm not saying we need to arselick them or tug our forelocks, but I don't get the mockery in this thread, nor the outright venom on other sites I've visited.

They deserve congratulations, and I for my part will probably watch it on the tellybox, if only to see The Dress.

Agreed! They both seem like lovely people, and a lot of people who have so much hate for them have never met them and/or are just jealous.

They are a young couple who truly seems to love one another. This is a happy day. I'm not sure you need to throw a street party, but for God's sake you don't have to wish them ill. What do you hate about them? You have never met them

bettielee
02-26-2011, 05:37 AM
There's very little point in us having colonies unless we force you all to work over the holidays, to subsidise our merrymaking.

Get to it!

I'm in a land that is no longer a colony! :) but of course, we don't get the day off as an ex-colony either... :(

I shan't tug my forelock, but I shall be watching. I wish she wasn't a peasant... but at least she seems to have some poise and fashion sense if not a title... sigh. I guess we can't all be a member of the peerage. And the royal babies will be better looking from now on...

BigWords
02-26-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm going to miss the festivities... I've already made plans to not give a damn on that date.

Priene
02-26-2011, 06:52 AM
What do you hate about them? You have never met them

After his grandmother dies and his father dies, he's going to be head of state, without the hassle of an election or possibility of removing him. That's my beef with William Windsor. I couldn't give a stuff about her, but awarding a public holiday for their wedding makes them my business. Especially after the obscene blowout of his parents' nuptials and subsequent grisly soap opera of infidelity and deception.

BigWords
02-26-2011, 06:56 AM
You forgot to mention the obscene amount of taxpayer monies being squandered on keeping them in the living conditions to which they have become accustomed, protecting them, and ferrying them around the planet every so often. :)

seun
02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
They are a young couple who truly seems to love one another. This is a happy day. I'm not sure you need to throw a street party, but for God's sake you don't have to wish them ill. What do you hate about them? You have never met them

To reverse that, you don't know them and I imagine you've never met them so how can you like them? Why is it a happy day when two people who don't know you exist are getting married? I'm not being arsey. It's an honest question.

For what it's worth, I'm not wishing them ill. I couldn't really care less about them other than thinking the idea of having a royal family should have died out centuries ago.

scarletpeaches
02-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Why is it a happy day when two people you don't know get married?

Simply because it's romantic. Bleurgh. I can't believe I said that. Me. Anyhoo...a couple I know are getting married either the day before or after, I can't remember which. Obviously paying attention. But even though I won't be attending (despite my invite) I still wish them well. Yes, I know them personally, so it's different, but I see no reason for some of the bile that's been levelled at Wills (why the hell isn't he called 'Will'?) and Kate/Catherine. Oh, it's a royal wedding, they're sponging off the taxpayer, we're paying for their life of privilege...yeah. I'm sure it's Wills' personal fault. Even if he removed himself from the line of succession and tried to live an ordinary life there would still be a need for bodyguards and security so he can't win whatever he does. Yes, they're a bunch of rich poshos, well, to resurrect one of my favourite Abe Lincoln quotes, "You don't rid the world of poverty by becoming one of the poor." A lot of it, in my opinion, is just reverse snobbery.

Am I kissing up to the royal family? Good God, no. I see no reason for the institution to even exist any more. I take a historical interest in them (Henry II up to the early Tudors being my area of 'expertise') but beyond that they pretty much have no effect on my daily life.

Still, I see no reason to hate or even dislike this couple. The wedding being linked to patriotism and the like, to me, is a load of old wank, but getting right down to it, this is still a young couple of human beings with feelings like the rest of us.

Unless you're David Icke, in which case they're lizards.

Priene
02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
All he has to do is say, "The idea of monarchy is abhorrent, and I'll have no truck with it", and he'll have my respect. As it is, the taxpayer is bunging him and his bride a fortune to get married that, according to our government, we don't have. He's part of a problem, not a solution. I don't wish his marriage good or bad, given that he's given me no reason to respect or admire him and plenty not to. Colonial parties ring any bells? Calling his helpers the "little people"?

Given the Windsors' pathetic level of marital success, I don't suppose it matters much. Divorce looms in ten years or so.

Belle_91
02-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Why is it a happy day when two people you don't know get married?

Simply because it's romantic. Bleurgh. I can't believe I said that. Me. Anyhoo...a couple I know are getting married either the day before or after, I can't remember which. Obviously paying attention. But even though I won't be attending (despite my invite) I still wish them well. Yes, I know them personally, so it's different, but I see no reason for some of the bile that's been levelled at Wills (why the hell isn't he called 'Will'?) and Kate/Catherine. Oh, it's a royal wedding, they're sponging off the taxpayer, we're paying for their life of privilege...yeah. I'm sure it's Wills' personal fault. Even if he removed himself from the line of succession and tried to live an ordinary life there would still be a need for bodyguards and security so he can't win whatever he does. Yes, they're a bunch of rich poshos, well, to resurrect one of my favourite Abe Lincoln quotes, "You don't rid the world of poverty by becoming one of the poor." A lot of it, in my opinion, is just reverse snobbery.

Am I kissing up to the royal family? Good God, no. I see no reason for the institution to even exist any more. I take a historical interest in them (Henry II up to the early Tudors being my area of 'expertise') but beyond that they pretty much have no effect on my daily life.

Still, I see no reason to hate or even dislike this couple. The wedding being linked to patriotism and the like, to me, is a load of old wank, but getting right down to it, this is still a young couple of human beings with feelings like the rest of us.

Unless you're David Icke, in which case they're lizards.

Exactly. No, I have never met them, but its just down right mean and nasty to wish them ill when YOU have never met them either. They're in love and are going to get married...so what. Other couples do it every day. I know there's some politics involved, but I still think its harsh to wish them ill. They seem like they are genuinly inlove, and I really would like to think this marriage has more of a chance than Diana and Charles's.

Plus, it's a wedding. It's supposed to be a happy occasion NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!!! and like SP said, they are still people with feelings. This is a happy occasion. It's really not William's fault that a. The monarchy is still around B. he was born into the still existing monarchy. Like SP said, even if he did go out and try to live a normal life, taxpayers would still be paying for it. He would still need security and what not.

Priene
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Like SP said, even if he did go out and try to live a normal life, taxpayers would still be paying for it.

Why? His dad owns half of Cornwall.

BenPanced
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I know a lot of people in the US were enthralled with Charles and Diana's wedding but not so many when Andrew and Sarah got hitched. Now that it's Diana's Son and...her...you know...his girlfriend...what's her name...

Yeah.

Shakesbear
02-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Taxpayers do NOT pay for the royal family. George III (yes he who was not right in the head) made the crown estates over to the government and in exchange the royals got the civil list. There are various sites that give info on this - I just happen, because of research - to have these bookmarked:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Civil%20List%20expenditure%202006.pdf there are later annual reports...

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Sourcesoffunding/TheCivilList.aspx
and from the above site:

In 2006-2007 the revenue surplus received by the Treasury from the Crown Estates was 200 million. Since 2001, The Queen receives a set amount of 7.9 million per annum.
Which is why government is very hesitant, imo, about ending the civil list. 'cos if they do end it the crown estates will revert to the queen and so will the surplus revenue, which will make us poorer and herself much much richer. Again imo, all the bosh about the tax payer paying for the royals has been spread by the republicans (who are not necessarily British) who own some of the newspapers that so many enjoy reading.

Of course as the figures are from a site set up by the Monarchy you don't have to believe them but I don't see the point of them obfuscating.

BeatrixKiddo
02-28-2011, 12:59 AM
You forgot to mention the obscene amount of taxpayer monies being squandered on keeping them in the living conditions to which they have become accustomed, protecting them, and ferrying them around the planet every so often. :)

They're also too busy getting pictures taken with celebrities.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/409/200940670910478775246.jpg

Ah, yes. Nice to see those tax dollars at work.

Sophia
03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Armed troops to ensure enjoyment of royal wedding (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/armed-troops-to-ensure-enjoyment-of-royal-wedding-201103143620/). :D

Satori1977
03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I wish them only the best, but I don't understand the fascination with it. If you live in England, yes, it is a big deal. But I am in the states. And just yesterday I saw a commericial for the LMN movie about William and Kate. Sorry, but I don't get it. I don't really follow celebrity romances either.

I would hate being in the spotlight like that all the time. I say just leave them alone and let them be happy.

Priene
03-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I say just leave them alone and let them be happy.

I agree. A simple announcement that he won't take the throne and I'll be happy never to mention the man again.

zahra
03-17-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm indifferent.

I would be so if they were Katie Price and whoever-the-hell she's going to marry next; they're nothing to do with me.

Let's face it, though, we are made to pay attention to their impending nuptials, and that's what makes a lot of people grouchy about them. It's like, we're told how happy we must be for them and how excited and how interested. I'm not interested, I'm not excited. I really don't care, any more than I imagine William or Kate would be throwing their hats in the air and calling for a public holiday if I got married.