Royal Wedding...street parties...WTF?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've got Radio 2 on and Zoe Ball has just mentioned the Royal Wedding in April. She's asked if anyone is planning a street party or anything social on the day. I literally can't think of a single person I know who would do something like this. If the weather's nice, my wife and I will probably go out somewhere but that'll be because of a day off, not because of a poxy wedding between two people I have never met.

Anyone going to do anything like the Queen's Jubliee in 1977 or are we in a different world now?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Street party in England in April? Lord luvaduck! Think about the weather!

I might take a wander down to the local hostelry on the day - but only because they have Aspalls on draught.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The broadcast media loves these kind of events.

If you watched some national televisions programs in the US you would think that every American was going to be crying as they watch the wedding. In real life, I have not heard a single person express the slightest interest in the thing. I'm sure a lot of people here will watch it on TV (it's kind of a fairy tale thing), but it will be as over-hyped as the Super Bowl.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard much in Australia about a holiday or street parties. I mean, seriously? if we're considered a colony, shouldn't we get the same hols? Ripped off, otherwise!

i'm not planning on doing anything at all, although i will probably catch the highlights. Generally these things go on for hours and are utterly boring, so I'm not uber bothered to watch the whole thing from whoa to go, as it were

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'll totally be hosting a party for the Royal Wedding.

Mmhmm.

Okay, not so much a party, as a group channelling of the dark energies involved in such an event, attempting to bring about the Apocalypse, or at least make it rain a little.

:)

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I will be enjoying the unexpected day off :) I don't think people do street parties any more, do they? i don't know most of my neighbours.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I know 2 of my neighbours. 1 is a nice enough guy from England, and we chat a little when we see each other. The other is in a different house, still a guy who likes to chat, but I think he's mildly demented or something. He's very off-putting when I'm just trying to have a smoke or walk down the street or both.

Their wives I've never met, even though I've lived here for about 2 years. I know they have wives, but I've never met them...

And anyone else living in my general vicinity is completely off my radar. A street party isn't going to happen here...

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard on the news how there's going to be a special straight-to-TV movie released in America about the dream romance. Not a documentary, you understand, but a movie with actors and stuff.

I haven't heard much in Australia about a holiday or street parties. I mean, seriously? if we're considered a colony, shouldn't we get the same hols? Ripped off, otherwise!

There's very little point in us having colonies unless we force you all to work over the holidays, to subsidise our merrymaking.

Get to it!

I will be enjoying the unexpected day off :) I don't think people do street parties any more, do they? i don't know most of my neighbours.

I know my neighbours in the way that you know people who spend all night screaming and shouting and keeping you awake. I'd consider a street party if it involved burning their house down.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard on the news how there's going to be a special straight-to-TV movie released in America about the dream romance. Not a documentary, you understand, but a movie with actors and stuff.
I'm sure.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
lol, Rob.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some scheme in place to have extended store trading hours on that day or something... *grumble*

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing that says dream romance like extended store trading hours...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

Oh, God. Who's playing Kate? Lindsay Lohan?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I'll see you there.

Maybe we should have an East Anglian booze up. er meet up on the day?! I'll get the first round in!

Can you have cyber street partays?

Reaction score
I wonder why it's okay to be so vocally anti about a young couple none of us have ever met, when if, for instance, it was a couple of AWers, we would most likely be modspanked for it.

I'm not saying we need to arselick them or tug our forelocks, but I don't get the mockery in this thread, nor the outright venom on other sites I've visited.

They deserve congratulations, and I for my part will probably watch it on the tellybox, if only to see The Dress.

SP, being surprisingly mature. For once.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think most of the mockery has been aimed at the events surrounding the wedding, not the wedding itself.

But, irregardless, I hope you enjoy watching the wedding.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Just to clarify if it's needed, I'm not mocking them. (Well, maybe a bit. At least we'll finally have an attractive queen). I'm interested in how things have changed since, say, 1977 when the idea of not having a street party was probably as odd as the idea of having one now.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The idea of people throwing street parties is no weirder than way back when Survivor first premiered here and people threw Survivor parties. The wedding is (supposedly) a once in a lifetime event - Survivor is on every week. :)

That said, I may pop the wedding on - I'm a little curious about the dress. Other than that, I really don't hold a lot of interest in it - no more than I would any other 'celebrity' wedding.

Reaction score
Ever since the royal family became more accessible, they've appeared more 'ordinary', with all the faults and foibles of the common man. I reckon it's the invasive media which has brought them to this - holding them up and instead of saying, "Let us imitate their fine example. God save the Queen!" it's closer to "They're just the same as us; why the hell should we pay them any attention?"

They were once leaders both on the battlefield and at home, then became figureheads and now they're nothing more than a collective soap opera, but more worthy of mockery for being real people. Like a reality show with rich folks.

I've never been a forelock-tugger but I do think it's a shame we no longer have an institution or figurehead to look up to. Then again, the example set by royals of days gone by was hiding a shady underbelly; just look at Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence. Queen Victoria's grandson and a right sleazy piece of work.