PDA

View Full Version : Which cover is better? Lets Vote!

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I am deciding between two covers. Can you guys please vote or make suggestions.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VnTM1P2Vt8g/TWc_CLtgRsI/AAAAAAAAABk/ACOI_wGccOY/s1600/A2cover.png

Or

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5JTi8nKC-TM/TWc_IexVDgI/AAAAAAAAABo/u0i_fG9JtZw/s1600/Acover.jpg

alleycat
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, I like the concept of the first one (a children's playground bridge), but I don't like the red bars in the foreground, and the title doesn't show up that well.

For that reason, if I had to pick one, I'd pick number two. It has a classy look to it, and "says" a lot with the hand-in-hand photo. I might consider making the text of "A Child's Love" a bit bigger than the subtitle.

brainstorm77
02-25-2011, 05:13 PM
You need to add a voting option.

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 05:36 PM
What is a voting option and how do I do that?

alleycat
02-25-2011, 05:41 PM
What is a voting option and how do I do that?
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_polls

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I must be a idiot or still half asleep cuz I can't find it. Thank you for the link to help, but still can't find it! Sorry

alleycat
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
I must be a idiot or still half asleep cuz I can't find it. Thank you for the link to help, but still can't find it! Sorry
There may be a time limit for adding a poll.

Go to your original post, then go to edit, then go to Advanced, and see if you can see an option for adding a poll at the bottom of the page.

Crossroad Press
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
I think - particularly if you consider that they might show up as small thumbnails on the web, that you need to make the text a lot more prominent. I like the concept of the second cover.

pixiejuice
02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
I like the concept of the first, though I agree that the close-up of the red bars are distracting. Though I really like the red/yellow/blue - it actually reminds me of the autism awareness logo (which is a good thing, in your case), while the playground evokes the feeling of childhood. Can you find a different playground picture to use?

I also think you should work with your wording - it's very hard to read.

So overall, I really like the idea of the first, but with some tweaking.

shadowwalker
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
The first if you could get rid of the red bars, and make the title more prominent.

Sheryl Nantus
02-25-2011, 06:34 PM
the first one with the bridge - change the font.

it's ugly as sin and sore on the eyes, imo - not user-friendly.

Greenify13
02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Like others, I also like the concept of the first one. But the red bars are distracting and the white of "A Family Journey" fades in with the background.

The second one is endearing. It's easy on the eyes, and as Alleycat said, "A Child's Love" would be better if it was bigger then the subtitle.

If you are looking into other options. I found this one, http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS526/is670-051/ it's a family sitting on (well, tecnically it's a pier)

If they had to be left as they appear here, I would go with the second one, but work on the first one would be a hit. Unless you have other pictures of it, without the bars, I find it would be hard to remove them. but perhaps if the bars were blurred or something. I dunno. :)

GradyHendrix
02-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I throw in my two cents for the second one. Nothing wrong with the first that some Photoshopping wouldn't cure, but the B&W looks classy and the image is very simple and easy to read in the second. Just get that title text looking less digital and I think you'd be good to go.

Three Fish
02-25-2011, 08:10 PM
For the first: the title needs to be all on one line, with the subtitle on the next in a smaller font. Use the drop-shadow effect in Photoshop to make it actually stand out. Choose a different font as well.

The second looks nice, but the image appears to be slightly warped (squished horizontally). Same issue with making title larger than subt.

veinglory
02-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Make sure the text is large and clear enough to be read at thumbnail size.

Three Fish
02-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Stephanie, here's my shot at redoing the playground cover with a bit more contrast with the text. Just doodling, but it might give you some ideas with dropshadowing and transparency:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3740/27359275.jpg

Good luck!

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
@JaxyMack, I really like your idea, I might use it, if that is alright. I was looking for a page for you, but you link at the bottom shows no page found when clicked. Just to let you know. I have seen some of the other posts that you have made in here and they all seem helpful.

Sargentodiaz
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I like the second.

I've never had to deal with autism but understand it's a very difficult situation to deal with. The hold hands/dependence theme seems to fit the subject.
Also, the b/w shows the dark side of it.

http://lvcabbie@blogspot.com

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I like the second on and the one that jaxymack made so those would be the two I would chose between. Everyone seems to dislike the first one. It was the first attempt cover I made, then I got the hand idea. So, we will see. And I thank everyone for their input.

Three Fish
02-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Stephanie, my site is under a bit of construction right now, sorry! You're more than welcome to use or modify anything I post. If you'd like the project files or anything, my email is jacksonmackenzie at gmail dot com. This is the other one I threw together that didn't want to post earlier (same stock image) :)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9215/57837042.jpg

Your book really sounds amazing, and I wish you all the best with it!!

Smaddux
02-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanx so much! :)

January
02-26-2011, 12:43 AM
I truly enjoy the first one. Perhaps ghost-out a text box for the title?

Soccer Mom
02-26-2011, 06:12 AM
I added the poll for you. :) And I like number two. The first is harder to read. We lose some of the text. Also, the image of an empty playground is sort of bleak. The second image of clasped hands is a more hopeful thought.

BySharonNelson
02-26-2011, 06:18 AM
I like the second one but agree that the text is too hard to read. I had the same issues when designing my cover. I think I ended up with 11 different ones before I finally settled on the one I am using.

Sydewinder
02-26-2011, 07:47 AM
I liked jaxymax's take on option one. Good luck with your book!

Smaddux
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I think that is the one me and husband like best! @Sydewinder. Thanks

Sydneyd
02-28-2011, 07:54 AM
I chose 1 only because if I were in a bookstore, and those two books were sitting side by side on a shelf, I would pick one up before two.

zpeteman
02-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you need to go back to the drawing board with both of them. Do you know someone with a design background that might be able to help and provide some direction?

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I have nothing against either image but I don't like the text in either. The playground image offers much better space for text placement on the ground where there is the monotone surface of the metal.

Also I don't think the font on the bridge picture is a font made for book covers. A dry clear-cut regular serif or sans serif is usually your best choice. An exception is when a special font adds to the quality of the cover, the message of the title or the feel of a cover image. For example, I think jaxymack's suggestion of the bridge image is wonderful. Other than that, text should be easy on the reader, in straight lines on a calm background. Even when the topic of a book suggest a certain "feel" of text, it isn't always a good idea to do that. For example, hardly any murder or slasher stories nowadays have "bleeding/dripping" fonts on the cover, and a romance novel doesn't need a calligraphic font on its cover to be appealing, either. The reason why I like jaxymack's shaky mouse-writing version despite that is, that that shaky writing is genuine, unlike that italic font that tries to evoke emotion or the "warm fuzzy feeling" of handwriting but, imho, fails. It's actually one of the least popular font with graphic and cover designers, right up there with Comic Sans.

For the subtitle I would use just one straight line near the bottom or right under the main title.

Whatever font you use, I suggest a calm background. So the holding hands picture for example, may do good with a black or dark bar somewhere to put the text on.