• Cover two: Holding hands

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

Smaddux

Registered
Reaction score
Website
stephaniemaddux.blogspot.com
I am deciding between two covers. Can you guys please vote or make suggestions.

A2cover.png

Or

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I like the concept of the first one (a children's playground bridge), but I don't like the red bars in the foreground, and the title doesn't show up that well.

For that reason, if I had to pick one, I'd pick number two. It has a classy look to it, and "says" a lot with the hand-in-hand photo. I might consider making the text of "A Child's Love" a bit bigger than the subtitle.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You need to add a voting option.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must be a idiot or still half asleep cuz I can't find it. Thank you for the link to help, but still can't find it! Sorry
There may be a time limit for adding a poll.

Go to your original post, then go to edit, then go to Advanced, and see if you can see an option for adding a poll at the bottom of the page.

Crossroad Press

Registered
Reaction score
I think - particularly if you consider that they might show up as small thumbnails on the web, that you need to make the text a lot more prominent. I like the concept of the second cover.

pixiejuice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraraeamos.com
I like the concept of the first, though I agree that the close-up of the red bars are distracting. Though I really like the red/yellow/blue - it actually reminds me of the autism awareness logo (which is a good thing, in your case), while the playground evokes the feeling of childhood. Can you find a different playground picture to use?

I also think you should work with your wording - it's very hard to read.

So overall, I really like the idea of the first, but with some tweaking.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The first if you could get rid of the red bars, and make the title more prominent.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Like others, I also like the concept of the first one. But the red bars are distracting and the white of "A Family Journey" fades in with the background.

The second one is endearing. It's easy on the eyes, and as Alleycat said, "A Child's Love" would be better if it was bigger then the subtitle.

If you are looking into other options. I found this one, http://www.fotosearch.com/IGS526/is670-051/ it's a family sitting on (well, tecnically it's a pier)

If they had to be left as they appear here, I would go with the second one, but work on the first one would be a hit. Unless you have other pictures of it, without the bars, I find it would be hard to remove them. but perhaps if the bars were blurred or something. I dunno. :)

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I throw in my two cents for the second one. Nothing wrong with the first that some Photoshopping wouldn't cure, but the B&W looks classy and the image is very simple and easy to read in the second. Just get that title text looking less digital and I think you'd be good to go.

Three Fish

Registered
Reaction score
For the first: the title needs to be all on one line, with the subtitle on the next in a smaller font. Use the drop-shadow effect in Photoshop to make it actually stand out. Choose a different font as well.

The second looks nice, but the image appears to be slightly warped (squished horizontally). Same issue with making title larger than subt.

Three Fish

Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie, here's my shot at redoing the playground cover with a bit more contrast with the text. Just doodling, but it might give you some ideas with dropshadowing and transparency:

27359275.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:

Smaddux

Registered
Reaction score
Website
@JaxyMack, I really like your idea, I might use it, if that is alright. I was looking for a page for you, but you link at the bottom shows no page found when clicked. Just to let you know. I have seen some of the other posts that you have made in here and they all seem helpful.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I like the second.

I've never had to deal with autism but understand it's a very difficult situation to deal with. The hold hands/dependence theme seems to fit the subject.
Also, the b/w shows the dark side of it.

http://[email protected]

Smaddux

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like the second on and the one that jaxymack made so those would be the two I would chose between. Everyone seems to dislike the first one. It was the first attempt cover I made, then I got the hand idea. So, we will see. And I thank everyone for their input.

Three Fish

Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie, my site is under a bit of construction right now, sorry! You're more than welcome to use or modify anything I post. If you'd like the project files or anything, my email is jacksonmackenzie at gmail dot com. This is the other one I threw together that didn't want to post earlier (same stock image) :)

57837042.jpg

Your book really sounds amazing, and I wish you all the best with it!!

January

Registered
Reaction score
I truly enjoy the first one. Perhaps ghost-out a text box for the title?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I added the poll for you. :) And I like number two. The first is harder to read. We lose some of the text. Also, the image of an empty playground is sort of bleak. The second image of clasped hands is a more hopeful thought.

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I like the second one but agree that the text is too hard to read. I had the same issues when designing my cover. I think I ended up with 11 different ones before I finally settled on the one I am using.