PDA

View Full Version : Two And A Half Men Cancelled

rugcat
02-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Two And A Half Men has been canceled, apparently due to the ongoing creepiness of Charlie Sheen. It's about time; it was a very funny show for a number of seasons, but like many sitcoms, it's run way past its sell-by date.

Mr. Sheen's comments about the show's creator, Chuck Lorre, always classy as usual:

I gracefully ignored this folly for 177 shows ... I fire back once and this contaminated little maggot can't handle my power and can't handle the truth."

"I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words - imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists."

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-generic-blog/two-and-a-half-men-cancelled/20110225-1b7ys.html

Calla Lily
02-25-2011, 07:34 AM
I liked Sheen in Major League, but his entitled crackhead pr0n star addiction has now thrown--what?--50 people out of work? He should be forced to pay them all severance for a year.

Kitty Pryde
02-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Classy! The article implied they canceled it cause the show's on hiatus due to his drug/alcohol problems and he stated that he was not interested in changing his substance-abusing ways. Seems terribly reasonable. The other Lorre shows are way more interesting anyway.

Guardian
02-25-2011, 07:50 AM
IS THIS FOR REAL?

YESSSSSSSSSSSS
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
OH THERE IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD :D

shadowwalker
02-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Too bad all the way around. One of the few sitcoms I actually enjoyed...

Don Allen
02-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Charlie Charlie Charlie,,, you finally got caught a disease and surprisingly, it wasn't from banging a trollop, it was from believing your own legend and now you will rot in eternal re-run hell, cause you're a dumb ass.... Oh well, take solace in the fact that you're not the first dumb ass in hollywood, and certainly won't be the last.... The shame is that you fucked up a truly entertaining show, but we'll live....

Amadan
02-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Charlie Sheen is one of the most loathsome people in Hollywood (and that's saying a lot).

Shadow_Ferret
02-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Meh. The show stopped being funny when the kid stopped being cute.

robeiae
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I want to hear from Jon Cryer. I stopped watching last season, but up to that point, I think Cryer was the catalyst in about 75% of the shows. Well, Cryer and Charlie's women...

Dandroid
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
sheen is indestructable...no one can fuck up so much and be worshipped for it...he's freaking caligula...

blacbird
02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Time out. From the MSN article on this matter:

"Based on the totality of Charlie Sheen's statements, conduct and condition, CBS and Warner Bros. Television have decided to discontinue production of "Two and a Half Men" for the remainder of the season," the companies said in a joint statement.

That's not exactly "cancellation." They've just stopped production of new episodes for the remainder of this season. The show will doubtless stay on the air in reruns for the time being, and a decision on continuation will be made down the road, I'd bet. This show (mystifyingly to me) is a money cow for the network, and they have lots of reasons to want it to continue, with or without Sheen.

I've never understood the appeal of Charlie Sheen to viewers. To me he always comes off as a one-dimensional smarmy smartass as a character, which is about all he's capable of as a person, too. I won't lose any sleep if the show is actually cancelled.

But I could also say that about any sitcom currently running on TV. The entire genre has fallen into the toilet in the past twenty years or so. Sitcoms used to be funny. Not any more.

STKlingaman
02-25-2011, 11:49 AM
The only question is;
Is Charlie Sheen or the character he
plays on the show is a bigger scum bug.

Switch-Phase
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I kind of liked that show.. Last year.

Kweei
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I feel bad for the crew.

regdog
02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
The only time I ever found the show remotely funny was when the entire cast was interacting especially with Jake and his grandmother.

Unfortunately the majority of the show was little more than what brainless woman is Charlie doing.

Few shows have been so misogynistic and demeaning of women.

And perhaps Sheen's tirade was little more than a way for him to move to a more lucrative deal, say with HBO (http://gossip.whyfame.com/charlie-sheen-gets-his-own-show-on-hbo-9801)

Grrarrgh
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I can't open the original link from work, but I think blacbird's right. I think they're just stopping this season. They haven't made a decision on the future yet.

I feel really bad for the rest of the cast and crew. I don't think the show's nearly as funny as it used to be, but they don't deserve this.

Pistol Whipped Bee
02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
His psychological equilibrium is completely shot.

Alcohol and our relationship with it and drinking alters an alcoholic - permanently. Stopping drinking doesn't lead us back to being "good ole so and so" - and the longer we drank the longer it takes for our mental balance to right itself.

The guy is not at peace. He's in the midst of a major internal war. Some people call what he's going through Denial. I think it's more than that. I think it's a mental and spiritual illness that makes us blind/unaware.

Wanting our health isn't enough. We need to be in the right environment to get well. Someplace quiet.

rhymegirl
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
"Sheen went even further, attacking Lorre, suggesting this is a battle and claiming the fans will support him." Yahoo article

This is where Charlie may be surprised.

I think fans will support an actor if he has been wronged, not if HE is in the wrong. Blasting your bosses publicly, acting like you're superior, and acting like a jerk--these things don't make you look good.

I feel sorry for the other people on the show.

brainstorm77
02-25-2011, 06:20 PM
The guys an ass.

pangalactic
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't think it's any big loss. The people that were good about that show (and IMHO there was very little that was worthwhile about it) will find new work. Hopefully Charlie Sheen's career will take a nosedive after this. He hasn't produced a performance worth watching in decades.

Smileycat
02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
The Alex Jones radio show is where he started his rant. Go to Alex Jones' site here: http://www.infowars.com/ and look at the right side of the page. Pick your poison (media) from the list.

On the one hand Alex Jones rants like a looney bin. I can barely listen to him. He rants about stupid sports and stupid TV and entertainers like Lady Gaga, etc, yet he fauns all over Charlie Sheen. Granted, Sheen is no idiot, but there is a way to convey your opinions without being malicious, without showing disdain, etc. He doesn't make that cut. But he does make some good points, even though his delivery is off.

I'd like to know what you think.

katiemac
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Blacbird's right - production shut down permanently for the season but not canceled. A lot of the headlines have been really misleading.

maestrowork
02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
It's about time. I hated the show, especially Charlie Sheen. And this shows me the asshole he really is. Never badmouth the hands that feed you, douchebag. He's an abusive, arrogant, awful person. I hope they replace him. The cast and crew will be better for it.

maxmordon
02-25-2011, 07:56 PM
The show has passed its prime for a mile, tell me, how many jokes of Charlie is an oversexed drunk, Alan is a pathetic loser can be?

Jcomp
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
sheen is indestructable...no one can fuck up so much and be worshipped for it...he's freaking caligula...

That's exactly what I was going to say. Now I'll have to settle for saying that he's like the jerk Bruce Wayne persona, only it isn't an act. It's... it's a saga... many people clearly dislike him, but damn if they aren't paying attention.

As for the rest of the cast... don't all of the principle players on this (pretty lousy, yet oddly watchable) all pull down some pretty hefty salaries? Now the crew, that's unfortunate, though it's the nature of the business anyway, but the main cast... somewhat hard to feel too sorry for them when they'll be eating off of the syndication money for the rest of their lives.

maestrowork
02-25-2011, 08:04 PM
The crew will find something else... lots of productions in Hollywood right now. They'll probably be better off and happier anyway.

Jcomp
02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
The crew will find something else... lots of productions in Hollywood right now. They'll probably be better off and happier anyway.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I mean really, given the number of channels and shows out there, there are far more opportunities for crew people than there ever have been in the past, I'd imagine, and it doesn't seem that would decline any time soon. I'd still say losing the gig is unfortunate, but you're right, they'll find other work. God's sake, they have a mega-hit sitcom on the résumé.

Even with Charlie, it's hard for me to see this as some sort of "punishment" given the money he's made and the money still to come for years and years. There's barely enough blow and hookers in the world to go through all that kablingy...

Sheryl Nantus
02-25-2011, 08:32 PM

I always felt bad for these guys - when a show goes on "break" for this sort of stuff I don't think they get paid. Which means that while Sheen and the other stars keep eating steak, the crew gets Ramen, if that, until production starts up again.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Alpha Echo
02-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Agreed.

I want to hear from Jon Cryer. I stopped watching last season, but up to that point, I think Cryer was the catalyst in about 75% of the shows. Well, Cryer and Charlie's women...

Yeah, he was my favorite. He, IMO, always got the best one-liners.

I think it's a shame. Not that they're putting a (temporary or not) stop to the show, but that Sheen's such an ass. I've tried to ignore it, but he makes it impossible.

My ex-husband loved him.

Huh. Maybe that should have been a sign...

maestrowork
02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
My ex-husband loved him.

Huh. Maybe that should have been a sign...

Yeah... I can't imagine anyone loving that douchebag.

maestrowork
02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Even with Charlie, it's hard for me to see this as some sort of "punishment" given the money he's made and the money still to come for years and years. There's barely enough blow and hookers in the world to go through all that kablingy...

He was making like $1 million an episode or something like that. I can't feel bad for him.

Also, with the success of Big Bang Theory (with a much more talented and amiable cast -- I met some of them last time I was in LA... lovely people), Chuck Lorre doesn't really need 2 1/2 Men anymore. Good riddance. Perhaps the crew could move to BBT or other Lorre's shows.

regdog
02-25-2011, 10:56 PM
I think Sheen was at $ 2 million an episode. Out of the entire series I only thought 3 episodes were funny.

The episode when Alan and Charlie have Jake for the week when Judith goes to Hawaii.

The episode when they send Jake to their mother's for the night and he wants spaghetti with ketchup.

And the Christmas episode Santa's Village of the Damned, when Alan has the girlfriend who is obsessed with having the perfect Christmas.

The rest, hate them.

maestrowork
02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
$2 million an episode for a sagging sitcom is obscene. Good riddance.

Smileycat
02-26-2011, 12:53 AM
I have to admit, I never, ever saw even one episode.

robeiae
02-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I think Sheen was at $ 2 million an episode. Out of the entire series I only thought 3 episodes were funny.

The episode when Alan and Charlie have Jake for the week when Judith goes to Hawaii.

The episode when they send Jake to their mother's for the night and he wants spaghetti with ketchup.

And the Christmas episode Santa's Village of the Damned, when Alan has the girlfriend who is obsessed with having the perfect Christmas.
Those are three of my favs, no doubt.

But Bad Alan ("The Price of Healthy Gums is Eternal Vigilance"), that's the stuff. And the one with Elvis Costello and Sean Penn.

"Back off Mary Poppins"...

:ROFL:

JerseyGirl1962
02-26-2011, 01:09 AM
But I could also say that about any sitcom currently running on TV. The entire genre has fallen into the toilet in the past twenty years or so. Sitcoms used to be funny. Not any more.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The only recent sitcom I watched was Seinfeld (still watch it in reruns). I attempted to watch "How I Met Your Mother," waited for something to be funny...and nothing funny ever showed up.

I've done that with other sitcoms, and it's the same thing to me: They're not funny. I think the 1970s was the heyday of the sitcom, with The Mary Tyler Moore Show, All in the Family, The Bob Newhart Show, etc., all stellar examples of how it should be done.

And they were all funny. As they're supposed to be.

Nancy

JerseyGirl1962
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM

Join the club. :D

Nancy

bettielee
02-26-2011, 01:36 AM
This moron just shot himself in the foot. When/if he gets clean, I think there is going to be some epic face palmage. Unless he just keeps deluding himself.

It just sucks for the other people involved in the show.

Good job, Chuck. I just jumped off your bandwagon.

maestrowork
02-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Good job, Chuck. I just jumped off your bandwagon.

Chuck Sheen... or Chuck Lorre?

Izz
02-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Or Chuck as in projectile vomit?

Celia Cyanide
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I always felt bad for these guys - when a show goes on "break" for this sort of stuff I don't think they get paid. Which means that while Sheen and the other stars keep eating steak, the crew gets Ramen, if that, until production starts up again.

Not really. They freelance, which means they get to work on movies and stuff they would like to do outside of shitty sitcoms.

blacbird
02-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Charlie Sheen could be replaced in a heartbeat by a better, more attractive and cheaper actor, and it would probably improve this show considerably. I absolutely do NOT understand why this guy is worth the kind of money the network allegedly is paying him. Can anyone elucidate this matter?

Dandroid
02-26-2011, 11:05 AM
in quality yes...viewership...no...cult of personality trumps that idea...

Rufus Coppertop
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM

The only disagreement I have with you is in the concept that the show was ever funny or the kid was ever cute.

Rufus Coppertop
02-26-2011, 11:19 AM

I wish I could say the same but I one of my best friends was a fan and if I was visiting at the wrong time, I had to watch it.

BjornAbust
02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I enjoyed the show back when it first came on, but somewhere along the line I lost interest. I was surprised to hear that it was still on.

Anyway, this cancellation's for the best, I think. Charlie Sheen needs to get his act together. It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

Smileycat
02-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Join the club. :D

Nancy

Hi, Nancy! I don't feel so bad now. It just never appealed to me. :D

Smileycat
02-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Charlie Sheen could be replaced in a heartbeat by a better, more attractive and cheaper actor, and it would probably improve this show considerably. I absolutely do NOT understand why this guy is worth the kind of money the network allegedly is paying him. Can anyone elucidate this matter?

Hi, Blacbird. Ratings.

Smileycat
02-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I wish I could say the same but I one of my best friends was a fan and if I was visiting at the wrong time, I had to watch it.

Rufus - no one will hold it against you. I watch America's Top Model - so there! :tongue

Rufus Coppertop
02-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Rufus - no one will hold it against you. I watch America's Top Model - so there! :tongue

Thanks. I feel a bit better now.

Smileycat
02-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I feel a bit better now.

;)

Diane Amy
02-26-2011, 07:24 PM
I know this would never happen but I think it would be hilarious if they got Emilio Estevez to replace Charlie Sheen.

shadowwalker
02-26-2011, 08:22 PM
I know this would never happen but I think it would be hilarious if they got Emilio Estevez to replace Charlie Sheen.

I wouldn't care who it is playing the guy - as long as he retains that impeccable timing and acerbic tone, I'll love it. ;)

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2011, 04:44 AM
Sheen says he reporting for work on Monday.

BenPanced
02-27-2011, 05:28 AM
Which will be amusing when he finds an empty, dark soundstage and a huge round of indifference.

benbradley
02-27-2011, 06:36 AM
I wonder how I missed this thread after having heard the news two days ago. At least I mentioned it in Scarlet Peaches "Batshit Crazy" thread.

His psychological equilibrium is completely shot.

Alcohol and our relationship with it and drinking alters an alcoholic - permanently. Stopping drinking doesn't lead us back to being "good ole so and so" - and the longer we drank the longer it takes for our mental balance to right itself.

The guy is not at peace. He's in the midst of a major internal war. Some people call what he's going through Denial. I think it's more than that. I think it's a mental and spiritual illness that makes us blind/unaware.

Wanting our health isn't enough. We need to be in the right environment to get well. Someplace quiet.
Yes, he is now the biggest Dry Drunk (presuming he's not drinking) in the world, right now he's bigger than James "shot down by Oprah's smoking gun" Frey ever was.

King Baby Charlie Sheen needs the very thing he is rejecting right now: Alcoholics Anonymous. Only by taking the Twelve Steps, getting a sponsor and turning his will and life over to God can he achieve any inner peace.

Calling his CBS bosses "AA Nazis" is so wrong on so many levels. Firstly he is breaking their anonymity at the highest level, also he's railing against people who were clearly trying to help him with his Program and only wish him the best.

But it appears he has thrown The Program away, and with it any chance of becoming happily and usefully whole.

It's about time. I hated the show, especially Charlie Sheen. And this shows me the asshole he really is. Never badmouth the hands that feed you, douchebag. He's an abusive, arrogant, awful person. I hope they replace him. The cast and crew will be better for it.
How much do I watch TV? I've never seen this show, and can hardly remember hearing of it before the last day or two.
I kinda liked Murphy Brown, though I didn't see many episodes. I saw enough to see how she appeared to be (perhaps ironically) the most sane person on the show, and how she was misunderstood by literally everyone around her, from the Vice President on down.

Sheen says he reporting for work on Monday.

Which will be amusing when he finds an empty, dark soundstage and a huge round of indifference.
I think he now has a Lower Calling.

blacbird
02-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Maybe he'll pick up a pushbroom and sweep it, and learn something about how the real world actually works . . .

God! What's wrong with my brain that I could actually think that possible?

Smileycat
02-27-2011, 10:14 AM

:roll:

shadowwalker
02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
...Sheen needs the very thing he is rejecting right now: Alcoholics Anonymous. Only by taking the Twelve Steps, getting a sponsor and turning his will and life over to God can he achieve any inner peace...

But it appears he has thrown The Program away, and with it any chance of becoming happily and usefully whole.

I think you're giving AA a bit more power than they deserve. He obviously needs help with his drinking, but AA isn't the only answer.

just sayin' :)

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
He needs help with his drinking? Seems to me he's got it down pretty well.

Belle_91
02-27-2011, 08:22 PM
I feel bad for the crew.

I do too. I have heard that around 300 people will be out of work when the show cancels. Granted...I heard this from E or Entertainment Tonight so don't qoute me

BenPanced
02-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Happens all the time in show business, though. A project folds, the crew moves on.

benbradley
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I think you're giving AA a bit more power than they deserve. He obviously needs help with his drinking, but AA isn't the only answer.

just sayin' :)
HERETIC!!!!!!1!!!11!!!

shadowwalker
02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
HERETIC!!!!!!1!!!11!!!

:chair

Kweei
02-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Happens all the time in show business, though. A project folds, the crew moves on.

Oh I know. It's all part of the biz.

Doesn't mean I don't feel bad for them, though!

maestrowork
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Charlie Sheen was on Good Morning America today. He's just convinced everyone he's a narcissistic lunatic.

It's better for Chuck Lorre to create a new show for the cast and crew and leave Sheen in his own la-la-land.

James81
03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
That's exactly what I was going to say. Now I'll have to settle for saying that he's like the jerk Bruce Wayne persona, only it isn't an act.

Holy crap!

Maybe Charlie Sheen is....Batman.

:eek:

James81
03-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Seriously, though, have you guys considered the idea that Charlie Sheen is an actor and that actors don't always *just* perform on stage?

I mean, everybody and their brother is talking about him lately. That's, like, really good publicity.

maestrowork
03-01-2011, 12:20 AM
I mean, everybody and their brother is talking about him lately. That's, like, really good publicity.

Ask Denise Richards and everyone who has been left in Sheen's wake.

I know people who actually worked with him. That's no act. The guy is a major fuck up in real life.

Satori1977
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I love how he demanded a raise for the crap he had been put through. The guy has no grip on reality anymore, and his publicist even quit. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/charlie-sheen-publicist-quits_n_829324.html

Everyone is trying to distance themselves from him, and for good reason. He will have a hard time finding work again, if ever. And that would only be if he ever cleaned up his act and made some very public, heartfelt apogies. Truth is, he will probably overdose and kill himself first.

I feel bad for the cast and crew of the show. Mostly I feel bad for his kids.

maestrowork
03-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Martin and Emilio should stage an Intervention. I'll watch... now talk about publicity and high ratings...

Silver King
03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
He'll probably end up with a reality show about his life as it unravels. Wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't already been approached to do such a gig. His problems are already being played out in the media, so he might as well get paid for his ongoing lunacy.

alleycat
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
He'll probably end up with a reality show about his life as it unravels. Wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't already been approached to do such a gig. His problems are already being played out in the media, so he might as well get paid for his ongoing lunacy.
That's an idea! Like Big Brother. Put him, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, and David Hasselhoff in a house together for 30 days. Call it Hollywood House. The winner gets a new movie contract with Miramax.

benbradley
03-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Martin and Emilio should stage an Intervention. I'll watch... now talk about publicity and high ratings...
No doubt Dr. Phil and Dr. Drew are finagling negotiating for the chance to do just that.

K. Taylor
03-01-2011, 06:17 AM
GOOD NEWS: Sheen nemesis/rational adult Chuck Lorre arranged for the Two and a Half Men crew to be paid for the remaining eps of the season (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b228542_two_half_men_crew_will_get_paid.html)

Cella
03-01-2011, 06:19 AM
That's an idea! Like Big Brother. Put him, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, and David Hasselhoff in a house together for 30 days. Call it Hollywood House. The winner gets a new movie contract with Miramax.

Silver King
03-01-2011, 06:46 AM
GOOD NEWS: Sheen nemesis/rational adult Chuck Lorre arranged for the Two and a Half Men crew to be paid for the remaining eps of the season (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b228542_two_half_men_crew_will_get_paid.html)
That's the least they can do, seeing as how they pay their main attraction for one episode what it will cost to take care of the crew for the remaining season (four weeks). From the article:

Warner Bros. says it will pay the sitcom's staffers their full salaries—amounting to about $2 million overall—for the four weeks they would have been working to finish off the season if the show hadn't been shut down in light of its star's specialness...

benbradley
03-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Speaking About Charlie
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/addiction-in-society/201102/speaking-about-charlie

Charlie said he could clean up himself (which Ms. Carise, typically, mocked). I would say, "I agree, Charlie. You're the only one who can do this - I'm here as your consultant and helper to allow you to steer yourself free."
Charlie expressed his distaste for AA and for those trying to force him to return to 12-step therapy ("AA Nazis," he called them). I said: "AA isn't especially effective - even Dr. Drew has admitted this! But then people say, ‘He needs to get with the program.' In response, I say, ‘Why force someone to undergo a treatment he rejects and has repeatedly failed at? Not everyone responds well to admitting their powerlessness and making amends to God. Why not work with his actual view of things and attitudes?'"

blacbird
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I have a solution for Lorre: Kill off Sheen's character. He's just left the apartment, and in the street outside gets run over by a garbage truck.

There's precedent: M*A*S*H famously killed off McLean Stevenson's character. Other actors on Barney Miller and Cheers have died during the series run, and required both explanation and replacement.

At which point you have the "poignant" episode or two (which would be fabulous for ratings, I'm thinking), and then enter a new character to share the bizarre apartment occupation. There must be 500 actors in Hollywood both qualified for and hungry enough to give that role a go. For about 1/10 of what Sheen is "earning", and 1/20th of what he now demands.

Fruitbat
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
When the rest of us fall apart, we have to suffer long and hard and keep pulling ourselves back up from nothing. Spoiled lightweights? WTH?

willietheshakes
03-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I have a solution for Lorre: Kill off Sheen's character. He's just left the apartment, and in the street outside gets run over by a garbage truck.

There's precedent: M*A*S*H famously killed off McLean Stevenson's character. Other actors on Barney Miller and Cheers have died during the series run, and required both explanation and replacement.

At which point you have the "poignant" episode or two (which would be fabulous for ratings, I'm thinking), and then enter a new character to share the bizarre apartment occupation. There must be 500 actors in Hollywood both qualified for and hungry enough to give that role a go. For about 1/10 of what Sheen is "earning", and 1/20th of what he now demands.

Nah. Continue the show as is, but put in Emilio Estevez for Sheen, without comment or explanation.

Dandroid
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
There's precedent: M*A*S*H famously killed off McLean Stevenson's character.

Stevenson was a major character...but the show never rested upon him...

K. Taylor
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Emilio already played a character on the show, and the character died.

Izz
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Emilio already played a character on the show, and the character died.Which would make him replacing Charlie without any explanation all the more intriguing...

alleycat
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
From an interview on ABC

"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen."

Snowstorm
03-01-2011, 07:52 PM

There's precedent: M*A*S*H famously killed off McLean Stevenson's character. Other actors on Barney Miller and Cheers have died during the series run, and required both explanation and replacement. ...

That's what I thought. Why put up with this loser? Swapping out the character could inject a freshness into any series.

Too bad Sheen doesn't realize he's not that special. There's a thousand other actors who'd jump at what he's throwing away.

regdog
03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Stevenson was a major character...but the show never rested upon him...

As Two and Half Men does not rest on Sheen. He is only one part of an ensemble cast. The show does not and has never rested on Sheen. The whole cast made the show and it would probably succeed without him.

maestrowork
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM

That's great. Now if he would just replace Sheen or move the crew to another show.

rhymegirl
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
That's great. Now if he would just replace Sheen or move the crew to another show.

I read something about John Stamos taking his place.

rugcat
03-01-2011, 10:04 PM
As Two and Half Men does not rest on Sheen. He is only one part of an ensemble cast. The show does not and has never rested on Sheen. The whole cast made the show and it would probably succeed without him.I really don't think that's true. Successful sitcoms usually have great ensemble casts, and often can survive replacing a major character, but they also have one character who's the glue, one character who may not even be the most interesting, but without whom there is no show.

Cheers without Sam Malone? Not possible. They lost Diane and Coach, but the show rolled on. MASH without Alan Alda? Not gonna work. They lost Trapper, Radar, and Henry Blake. The show rolled on. Without Hawkeye, the show grinds to a halt. Frasier without Frasier? Please.

TAAHM without Sheen would never fly -- Sheen knows that, and so do they. That's why he got 2 mil an episode.

jvc
03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I really don't think that's true. Successful sitcoms usually have great ensemble casts, and often can survive replacing a major character, but they also have one character who's the glue, one character who may not even be the most interesting, but without whom there is no show.

Cheers without Sam Malone? Not possible. They lost Diane and Coach, but the show rolled on. MASH without Alan Alda? Not gonna work. They lost Trapper, Radar, and Henry Blake. The show rolled on. Without Hawkeye, the show grinds to a halt. Frasier without Frasier? Please.

TAAHM without Sheen would never fly -- Sheen knows that, and so do they. That's why he got 2 mil an episode.
Yep, I'm having to agree with rugcat here. I don't think it would work as well without Sheen.

backslashbaby
03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I saw his Piers Morgan interview. I now feel bad for him; I think he's an untreated bipolar.

I can't believe this has turned into a media scandal when the dude's just probably bipolar and apparently an addict. Did he turn down seeing shrinks that were offered or something? Or did everyone assume it was just a partying thing?

In any case, the media needs to do some homework, imho. Yes, his interviews seem off. No shit. He's manic right now.

Maybe they can find a schizophrenic actor one day and hear some really out-there things and have a good chuckle. *shakes head and goes back to not caring much about actors* ;)

maestrowork
03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
He said he wasn't bipolar. But that could be deep-seated denial.

Meanwhile, his family has been very quiet on this.

backslashbaby
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I heard that. He said he'd have to crash and never crashes, which doesn't rule out bipolar. I guess he doesn't know about bipolar, it's just denial, or he loves his manic 'power' too much.

It's so sad. I know it's bad form to 'diagnose' someone without an official professional doing it, but OTOH, is it better for the media to act like it's a scandalous trainwreck because of drugs and ego?

If he's bipolar, the ego parts, particularly, aren't really ego. It's a symptom of mania. I'm just not comfortable with the media's role in this, I don't think.

benbradley
03-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I saw his Piers Morgan interview. I now feel bad for him; I think he's an untreated bipolar.
Yeah, you and Dr. Drew.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Blogs/25077

Oh, and Dr. Phil too - this is from about four months ago:
http://www.insideedition.com/news/5300/dr-phil-weighs-in-on-charlie-sheens-behavior.aspx
Okay, Dr. Phil didn't say bipolar, but he did give some "prescription" for Sheen.

I can't believe this has turned into a media scandal when the dude's just probably bipolar and apparently an addict. Did he turn down seeing shrinks that were offered or something? Or did everyone assume it was just a partying thing?[/QUOTE]
You haven't been reading the reports closely. He called his bosses "AA Nazis." They are apparently AA members and are apparently requiring him to attend and participate in AA, even giving him "AA help" on the set, in order for him to keep playing that role in the sitcom.

That might not sound like a problem to you, but what if your boss required you to attend Catholic or Jewish or Islamic worship services, in a religion you have left or never believed in, requiring you to fully participate in order to keep your job?

In any case, the media needs to do some homework, imho. Yes, his interviews seem off. No shit. He's manic right now.
I'll post the link again:

Satori1977
03-01-2011, 11:54 PM
It could be drugs, or a mental disorder. And he could most definitley be in denial. My mother denies being bipolar, though she has been diagnosed by two different doctors, years apart, as having it.

No matter what the issue, you can't help people that have an illness if they don't want help.

shelleyo
03-02-2011, 12:59 AM
I saw his Piers Morgan interview. I now feel bad for him; I think he's an untreated bipolar. ;)

Yup. I think anyone who has ever been around someone with this type of mental illness can see that Sheen (arrogant and narcissistic ass with a sense of entitlement that he may very well be) is an extremely ill person. Just his eyes, his movements and every mannerism gives his illness away, even before he speaks.

I once spent hours with a relative's husband, trying to talk him down from his manic delusions of divinity and heightened evolution over the rest of us. I've heard everything he's saying before, in a tiny kitchen at 3 a.m. What Sheen is saying about himself is pretty darn common in some forms of mental illness.

I think it's incredibly sad that they're filming his mental breakdown and calling it news. I don't care how much money he has or how much of an ass he may be, he's seriously ill. I hope someone around him has the balls to break from being a yes-man and try to get him some help. I hope his father can manage it.

Unfortunately, if he does get treated for this, he'll be faced with the fact that he said these things publicly. At least most of us never have to break down in the public eye.

Shelley

scarletpeaches
03-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Maybe it's not an illness. Maybe he's just a selfish cock.

backslashbaby
03-02-2011, 01:20 AM
It's just so textbook, though. That interview could be used in Psych 101, no kidding.

Asshattery doesn't usually* hit the same mental symptoms by coincidence, although the ego/specialness thing can sound similar in general, for sure.

eta - *I threw a usually in there, but the symptoms occurring together are what shrinks, etc, look for. I just don't know if he could just be an ass.

shelleyo
03-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Maybe it's not an illness. Maybe he's just a selfish cock.

He's probably that, too.

But the things he's saying really are textbook, as backslashbaby said.

What I'm surprised more people haven't said in the media, and that hasn't made it clear to them that he's just sick, is that Charlie Sheen has never come off as a stupid person. He may be a partier, but he's always seemed intelligent.

If he weren't ill, and he really thought all these things without his brain chemicals making him think them, he'd likely be smart enough to keep his most extreme thoughts to himself. He'd recognize that by saying aloud that he's a "rock star from Mars" and has "tiger blood and Adonis DNA, and that anyone attempting to do the drug that is Charlie Sheen would die and their children would weep over their exploded bodies," he'd look like nothing more than a narcissistic, selfish cock.

He'd know better. That he doesn't seem to realize this is a huge hint that he has no control.

I don't even care about him, don't watch the show, haven't liked anything he's done since Platoon. But I caught a video of his interview and found myself extremely upset. It took a minute to realize it was because he was acting exactly like someone very ill from my past.

Shelley

backslashbaby
03-02-2011, 01:29 AM
I'll post the link again:

That last link is important, definitely. I'm no professional, so I'm not bound by any standards :) Certainly the actual condition would need a visit to a shrink and medical tests and things. He could have a tumor; it could be drugs or withdrawal; he could have a vitamin deficiency disease, addison's, and on and on.

Does his behavior show flight of thought, delusions of grandeur, excessive energy (he said so), not needing sleep (he said so), etc, etc? Yep, imho. But it's just my mho!

Izz
03-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Yeah, i've just watched an interview too. The guy's really sick. He needs help.

robeiae
03-02-2011, 04:28 AM
...Charlie Sheen has never come off as a stupid person. He may be a partier, but he's always seemed intelligent.

Disagree. He's often come off as a stupid person, imo. He's been doing and saying stupid things for decades, from shooting his girlfriend, to injecting cocaine, to being a truther. There's not much evidence--imo--of him being all that smart.

Does he have some psychological issues now? Maybe. But his bigger problem is that he's successfully alienated pretty much everyone that might step in to help him. He's spiraling downward because he's an @ss, first and foremost. Imo.

K. Taylor
03-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I've seen interviews of his in the past and he wasn't twitchy like now or repeating himself so much, etc. And man, not only has he lost weight, but his skin has lost all normal color........that latest bender has really messed him up.

maestrowork
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
And man, not only has he lost weight, but his skin has lost all normal color........that latest bender has really messed him up.

His Adonis DNA doesn't really hold up that well...

nighttimer
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
There is no "Charlie Sheen." There's only Carlos Irwin Estevez playing "Charlie Sheen" and passing for a White dude.

Hey, Joaquin Phoenix! THIS is how you pull off a public meltdown. :crazy: Winning!

Mel Gibson gives it two thumbs way up and says Charlie can bring his hookers and porn skanks over any time and BLOW HIM!

rhymegirl
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I watched Charlie giving an interview on 20/20 last night.

I thought he sounded crazy and totally unlikable.

scarletpeaches
03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
There is no "Charlie Sheen." There's only Carlos Irwin Estevez playing "Charlie Sheen" and passing for a White dude.

Hey, Joaquin Phoenix! THIS is how you pull off a public meltdown. :crazy: Winning!

Mel Gibson gives it two thumbs way up and says Charlie can bring his hookers and porn skanks over any time and BLOW HIM!Did you just diss Wack? Because I'm not having that. You and me need to have words.

Four-letter ones.

Outside now, bitch.

James81
03-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Ask Denise Richards and everyone who has been left in Sheen's wake.

I know people who actually worked with him. That's no act. The guy is a major fuck up in real life.

Well, consider also that Denise Richards is an actress and that she is one of those people who would benefit the most from his publicity. And that, in order to make it believable, he would have to carry the act along with peope who work with him.

Granted, I'm not saying I'm right. In fact, I'm saying just the opposite of that. We're all just Joe Schmoe's who read the news and none of us are really all that qualified to make an assessment of his character based off of his actions in a world in which acting and reality can become a bit blurred.

It could all be one giant act for publicity for all we know. And he might be sitting there laughing all the way to the bank. :tongue Things aren't always what they seem to be. Especially in Hollywood.

regdog
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I've seen interviews of his in the past and he wasn't twitchy like now or repeating himself so much, etc. And man, not only has he lost weight, but his skin has lost all normal color........that latest bender has really messed him up.

I noticed his skin tone too, red with gray. Not a look that convinces one of great health.

maestrowork
03-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Well, consider also that Denise Richards is an actress and that she is one of those people who would benefit the most from his publicity. And that, in order to make it believable, he would have to carry the act along with peope who work with him.

Are his kids actors, too? So Chuck Lorre canceled his show for Charlie Sheen's publicity? Wow, this guy must be REALLY popular in Hollywood that people all around him bend over backwards for his career. Much more than Tom Cruise and Mel Gibosn...

shelleyo
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Whether you think he's a dick, a diagnosed bipolar or both (I vote for both), someone finally did something smart. Authorities came and took the two kids that were living with him while their mother's in rehab, so now they're with their grandmother. Someone in his state, I think many will agree, shouldn't be trusted to care for two small boys.

That's the first bit of Charlie Sheen news that's made sense in a while.

Shelley

nighttimer
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
It could all be one giant act for publicity for all we know. And he might be sitting there laughing all the way to the bank. :tongue Things aren't always what they seem to be. Especially in Hollywood.

Are his kids actors, too? So Chuck Lorre canceled his show for Charlie Sheen's publicity? Wow, this guy must be REALLY popular in Hollywood that people all around him bend over backwards for his career. Much more than Tom Cruise and Mel Gibosn...

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on James81 sneaking suspicions.

Here's what I blogged:

It is interesting how CBS put up with Sheen’s naked and ranting, porn queen banging, hotel room trashing rampage in New York last October where he was found in the nude, with cocaine on his face punching the wall screaming, “NIGGER, NIGGER, NIGGER.” That was forgiven and forgotten. So was Charlie holding a knife to his estranged third wife’s throat. It took what was characterized as an “anti-Semitic” rant on a radio show when he called Chuck Lorre, Two and A Half Men creator by his Jewish name before CBS shut down production and bounced Charlie out on his butt.

Proving once again some forms of bigotry are more easily forgiven in La-La Land than others. There’s also a possibility Charlie and CBS are together hustling the public and press. This all could be CBS not letting a perfectly good crisis go to waste. According to Entertainment Weekly, the eight year old sitcom still draws an impressive 14.6 viewers each week and will earn $600 million in revenues over the next few years for Warner Bros. Now there’s an even bigger buzz for Two and A Half Men thanks to its leading man melting down wherever a microphone is nearby. Can CBS and Warner Bros. walk away from that kind of money?

Don’t believe the hype. This will all get worked out. CBS majority owner and Viacom chairman Summer Redstone severed the media conglomerate ties with Tom Cruise when his couch-jumping antics and Scientology proselytizing became too obnoxious to ignore, but he has nothing to say about Charlie Sheen’s even more offensive behavior. Redstone’s silence now speaks volumes.

Sheen is playing the role of his life. He’s “Good Time Charlie Crackhead” and he’s playing everyone else for the fools he sneers at in his Today interview. When, not if he returns to the show (and the show must go on because nobody’s walking away from $600 million bucks) all the hatchets will be buried and everyone will kiss, kiss and make up. When Charlie swaggers or staggers on to the set flashing a victory sign and cracks another limp dick joke, the sudden ratings surge will blow the roof off the sucker.

Satori1977
03-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I doubt Lorre is in on it, but I am sure some of it is staged. Not all, or maybe even most, but some yes. And it doesn't help that Sheen keeps getting away with his horrible, criminal behavior, and that he keeps getting exposure for it. How many people could act this way and, instead of being in jail or rehab, where they belong, get a interview on 20/20. It is only encouraging him to act out more. And he is loving every minute of the attention.

And some of the other people on the show might be too. Especially if the show does continue, and Sheen is still on it, ratings will probably be higher. Until people get bored. Then they will move on to the next scandal.

scarletpeaches
03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe Charlieboy should visit this therapist (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1362208/Bare-soul-Meet-naked-therapist-solves-patients-problems-stripping-sessions.html).

Satori1977
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Maybe Charlieboy should visit this therapist (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1362208/Bare-soul-Meet-naked-therapist-solves-patients-problems-stripping-sessions.html).

Yea, that would be productive! Seriously, how many men go to her with made up problems just to see a naked woman?

shelleyo
03-02-2011, 11:47 PM
She conceded that naked therapy is not approved by any mental health association. And she is not a licensed therapist.

My god, I'd never have guessed.

Labeling getting naked for money on a webcam as therapy is a pretty good marketing trick, though. Prostitutes should adopt the label of, "Stress-Relief Coach."

Shelley

benbradley
03-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Here's a Chuck Lorre statement:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/chuck-lorre-addresses-charlie-sheen-162692
Looks like ALL those TV people have access to the really good drugs...

maestrowork
03-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Did he write that at 4:20?

Slushie
03-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Apparently he just recently started a Twitter account, has 15 posts, and already over 900K want to have their faces melted and their children weep over their exploded bodies.

benbradley
03-03-2011, 03:34 AM
It took me a moment to get the reference! I haven't seen that in a while.

Tepelus
03-03-2011, 04:00 AM

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

maestrowork
03-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Apparently he just recently started a Twitter account, has 15 posts, and already over 900K want to have their faces melted and their children weep over their exploded bodies.

People are celebrity and train-wreck whores...

jvc
03-03-2011, 04:28 AM
If nothing else, it certainly has people talking about him. No doubt when the show gets going again, with Sheen, the next season's opener will probably have the highest ratings it's ever seen.

maestrowork
03-03-2011, 04:29 AM
It's a win-win situation... except for his kids. Or maybe not. I bet they're happy to be with their grandparents.

Slushie
03-03-2011, 04:54 AM
People are celebrity and train-wreck whores...

Very true.

When Lindsay Lohan was, and maybe still is, going off the rails, I kind of felt for her because it seemed as though much of it was dug up and perpetuated by the media, with little to no encouragement on her end.

In Sheen's case, I don't really feel for him. He's been calling into radio shows and doing sit down interviews about all this, so it seems to me as though he's pursuing the attention and is enjoying the ride.

Although if you want a real cynical commentary on society, Vegas has got odds running on what his next arrest will be.

Drugs 5/1
DUI 3/1
Gun 5/1
Domestic Violence 7/5
Prostitute 5/6

rhymegirl
03-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I've read that the kids are with their grandparents, yet when I saw Charlie Sheen on TV tonight, he made it sound like he does not know where they took the kids.

benbradley
03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Maybe I should tweet him that his kids are with his grandparents, I'm sure he would want to know...

rhymegirl
03-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Maybe I should tweet him that his kids are with his grandparents, I'm sure he would want to know...

Exactly!

If they took the kids away and refused to tell him where they were taking them, maybe we know more than he does.

All he has to do is go online and read up.

cmi0616
03-03-2011, 08:07 AM
I get Charlie Sheen. I mean, if you hung around 20-year old porn stars all day, you'd probably think you were a genius too :)

All joking aside, this is obviously a case of whatever egomaniac is running the network. Sure, Sheen is in trouble, and is a time bomb waiting to finally explode. That said, he made a point in the interview the other night, when he said his personal life hasn't affected his work. I watched the show each week, and his acting was STELLAR. The ratings have been soaring. Without Charlie, there would be no Two And A Half Men.

The fact of the matter is that Sheen said some things that the network didn't like, and the network is now trying to have the last laugh. It is immature bullshit on both sides, in my opinion, but a bad business decision for CBS. Sheen will move on and undoubtedly find other work. CBS will be losing one of it's biggest hit shows, perhaps the best sitcom since The King of Queens went off the air.

Dandroid
03-03-2011, 08:24 AM
^ agreed

bohica
03-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Anyone else admiring the colorful dialogue? For reals.

"I have tiger's blood and Adonis DNA."

"I am battle-tested bayonets, bro."

"I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists."

Seriously, who talks like that? Out loud, I mean. I will 'fess up to being completely entertained.

AnneMarble
03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Disagree. He's often come off as a stupid person, imo. He's been doing and saying stupid things for decades, from shooting his girlfriend, to injecting cocaine, to being a truther. There's not much evidence--imo--of him being all that smart.
But people can be intelligent without being smart. And right now, he's the poster child for stupid intelligent people. (Next week, it will be some brilliant author who goes on a public rant because someone gave them a mediocre review.)

How many people who aren't intelligent can use terms like "Adonis DNA" or say things like "Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." After all, if we had characters who spoke like that in our stories, many of us would be really excited. (Others would be wondering who spiked our drinks while we were at the computer.)

On the other hand, smart people know not to say things like "Adonis DNA" or "tiger's blood" in interivews. :D

Does he have some psychological issues now? Maybe. But his bigger problem is that he's successfully alienated pretty much everyone that might step in to help him. He's spiraling downward because he's an @ss, first and foremost. Imo.

robeiae
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhgWRTr3oIg

katiemac
03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
All joking aside, this is obviously a case of whatever egomaniac is running the network. Sure, Sheen is in trouble, and is a time bomb waiting to finally explode. That said, he made a point in the interview the other night, when he said his personal life hasn't affected his work. I watched the show each week, and his acting was STELLAR. The ratings have been soaring. Without Charlie, there would be no Two And A Half Men.

The fact of the matter is that Sheen said some things that the network didn't like, and the network is now trying to have the last laugh. It is immature bullshit on both sides, in my opinion, but a bad business decision for CBS. Sheen will move on and undoubtedly find other work. CBS will be losing one of it's biggest hit shows, perhaps the best sitcom since The King of Queens went off the air.

I disagree. Perhaps his personal life isn't affecting the quality of what's produced on the show, but that doesn't mean behind-the-scenes isn't taking a hit. The relationship between the star and the showrunner is contentious at best. Production has halted more than once. Part of what he's saying that the network "doesn't like" is aimed at the showrunner, who produces not just Men but at least one other highly popular and ranked CBS show. I doubt this is the network trying to get the last laugh at Sheen--they wouldn't be halting their highest-rated gold mine if they thought there was another way.

regdog
03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhgWRTr3oIg

maestrowork
03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I disagree. Perhaps his personal life isn't affecting the quality of what's produced on the show, but that doesn't mean behind-the-scenes isn't taking a hit. The relationship between the star and the showrunner is contentious at best. Production has halted more than once. Part of what he's saying that the network "doesn't like" is aimed at the showrunner, who produces not just Men but at least one other highly popular CBS show. I highly doubt this is the network trying to get the last laugh at Sheen--they wouldn't be halting their highest-rated gold mine if they thought there was another way.

Exactly. His "work" isn't limited to what is shown on screen. TV is a collaborative effort. He works with literally hundreds of people every day. He's the highest paid among the cast and crew. He's the star. He has the obligation to be the example, and not acting like a raging lunatic behind the scenes, least of all bad-mouthing the producer while still employed. That shows unprofessionalism, and one can only imagine what went on behind the scenes on and off the set of 2 1/2 Men.

My publisher has terminated contracts with authors who were difficult to work with. It's not just about the "quality" of the final product. It's about relationships, professionalism, and character.

Alpha Echo
03-03-2011, 08:00 PM

"I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists."

Seriously, who talks like that? Out loud, I mean. I will 'fess up to being completely entertained.

I agree. I can't wrap my head around the things he's saying. Who thinks like that? And even if you do, who talks like that out loud?

But people can be intelligent without being smart. And right now, he's the poster child for stupid intelligent people. (Next week, it will be some brilliant author who goes on a public rant because someone gave them a mediocre review.)

How many people who aren't intelligent can use terms like "Adonis DNA" or say things like "Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." After all, if we had characters who spoke like that in our stories, many of us would be really excited. (Others would be wondering who spiked our drinks while we were at the computer.)

On the other hand, smart people know not to say things like "Adonis DNA" or "tiger's blood" in interivews. :D

Very interesting point, actually. If a character in a book spoke like Sheen does, the reader would be very entertained and probably hold a soft spot for said character.

But, being real life, it's just sad.

Alpha Echo
03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/03/charlie_sheen_glossary.html

Kinda funny.

robeiae
03-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I disagree. Perhaps his personal life isn't affecting the quality of what's produced on the show, but that doesn't mean behind-the-scenes isn't taking a hit. The relationship between the star and the showrunner is contentious at best. Production has halted more than once. Part of what he's saying that the network "doesn't like" is aimed at the showrunner, who produces not just Men but at least one other highly popular and ranked CBS show. I doubt this is the network trying to get the last laugh at Sheen--they wouldn't be halting their highest-rated gold mine if they thought there was another way.

Agree.

Plus, it's not a matter of fact that Sheen is just oh-so-awesome on the show. Hey, I like the show...or at least did until the last couple of seasons. And I like Charlie Sheen's work, from Platoon to Hot Shots! to Two and a Half. But he's not exactly an actor with unlimited range.

As I said upthread, Jon Cryer is the one that makes the show, imo. Without him, it's nothing but Charlie's personal life, writ small.

benbradley
03-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Here's an odd commentator some may enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVtWPUgr1M

backslashbaby
03-04-2011, 01:17 AM

You could spend your Sundays visiting the involuntary ward at your local psych hospital. It gets waaay better.

Actually, I do find it fascinating, the way the brain works. I don't even think it should be humiliating. But he needs treatment.

bohica
03-04-2011, 03:35 AM
You could spend your Sundays visiting the involuntary ward at your local psych hospital. It gets waaay better.

I do, actually. Not usually on Sundays, but my day job takes me there pretty often. Which is exactly what this quasi-inspired word-vomit reminds me of.

But he needs treatment.

:Thumbs:

rugcat
03-04-2011, 06:57 AM
As I said upthread, Jon Cryer is the one that makes the show, imo. Without him, it's nothing but Charlie's personal life, writ small.It's rather amusing -- Sheen makes his character, who ought to be utterly unlikeable, into a sort of likable guy. And that's the secret to TV success, as opposed to movies -- in order to live with a character week after week, you have to find them, in some way, appealing, even if they really aren't. And someone who can do that is rarer than someone who is a good actor -- there are a lot of good actors; not so many sitcom stars.

Cryer has the opposite problem. As Charlie's foil, he has to take a character we should like, or at least feel sympathy for, and make him so annoying and petty in his own way that we don't mind when Charlie screws him over, or he gets dumped by a woman. He's brilliant at it, and we feel he kind of deserves it, you know,

So they both feed off each other, and both know exactly how to make the show work.

James81
03-04-2011, 07:13 PM

All I know is that everybody and their brother is talking about him and that he seems to get away with anything and everything.

I smell something more than just "he's shit nuts" here. No, I don't think it's all an act, but I think there's more to it than just "reporting the news on some dude who seems to have emotional issues and is a lunatic."

If this was a story about a local dude in a local paper? Sure, I'd think "Man, that guy has got a serious screw loose." But this is a story about an actor, and the words that come out of everybody's mouth when they talk about this is:

Two and a Half Men.

People are thinking about that show. And I don't know about you, but it kinda makes me want to WATCH that show just to see what his character is like. How many others here have that same kinda curiosity?

It's great psychology, actually. Because you read stories like this and you're ranting and raving against the actor, but down in your unconscious mind lots of people are thinking "Huh, I need to watch that show and see what he's like on it."

It's like publicity that doesn't even register as publicity because you're too pissed at the actor himself to realize that the story is actually making you want to watch the show.

Yes, I specialize in conspiracy theories. :D

robeiae
03-04-2011, 07:21 PM
People are thinking about that show. And I don't know about you, but it kinda makes me want to WATCH that show just to see what his character is like. How many others here have that same kinda curiosity?

It's great psychology, actually. Because you read stories like this and you're ranting and raving against the actor, but down in your unconscious mind lots of people are thinking "Huh, I need to watch that show and see what he's like on it."
Because Two and Half Men needed publicity? Come on James, it was already hugely popular. And it's had an incredible run. Really, who hasn't seen it, at one time or another? I'll wager that anyone who has never watched the show in the past would not be willing to watch the show now, because of Sheen's antics.

People say that any press is good press, but that's not always true.

In Sheen's case? Who knows.

Celia Cyanide
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Exactly. His "work" isn't limited to what is shown on screen. TV is a collaborative effort.

Yes, very true. When you are an actor working in TV and movies, it is not just your job to perform well. Like any other job in the world, it is part of your job to respect your coworkers.

maestrowork
03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Because Two and Half Men needed publicity? Come on James, it was already hugely popular. And it's had an incredible run. Really, who hasn't seen it, at one time or another? I'll wager that anyone who has never watched the show in the past would not be willing to watch the show now, because of Sheen's antics.

This.

James, you have a very cynical view of Hollywood, and I understand. I have seen Hollywood first-hand. Do I think there's no act or publicity stunt in this thing? No... but I don't buy it that everyone is doing it for publicity and supporting Sheen. Sheen's character on 2 1/2 Men is basically a fictionalized version of himself, so it's not really an "act" per se. He is that kind of person in real life. There's much more at stakes than just a show... his own life, his children's life, his family (Emilio and Martin have been really mum about him except that fact that Charlie needs help and refuses it).

And Chuck Lorre definitely doesn't need the publicity. It's one of the most popular shows on TV now, raking in $600 million a season (that's more than most blockbuster movies, including Titantic). Why does Lorre need to shut down production (and costing $millions in production cost and revenue) just to get some publicity? To make $700 million instead of $600 million? I think Chuck Lorre has more integrity than that. Lorre has other hit shows including the Big Bang Theory. He doesn't need that kind of publicity and he definitely doesn't need to put on an act to do so. Sure, if the publicity helps Two and a Half Men in the future in terms of ratings, etc. GREAT, but I doubt that Chuck Lorre is in it for publicity. It'd be like Stephen Spielberg having a public spar with Harrison Ford just to get more famous. It just doesn't happen, even in Hollywood.

Now, I am not saying Charlie Sheen didn't do it for publicity... and it seems like he's getting tons. He certainly knows how the Hollywood machine works, and part of him is milking this. But judging from his interviews, he's either a better actor than we think, or he's really nuts. And I certainly don't think he's that great of an actor to pull off that stunt completely. And he's had a lifetime of misbehavior and temper to support my theory that he's been nuts all along. This is not a one-time thing.

katiemac
03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
All I know is that everybody and their brother is talking about him and that he seems to get away with anything and everything.

I smell something more than just "he's shit nuts" here. No, I don't think it's all an act, but I think there's more to it than just "reporting the news on some dude who seems to have emotional issues and is a lunatic."

If this was a story about a local dude in a local paper? Sure, I'd think "Man, that guy has got a serious screw loose." But this is a story about an actor, and the words that come out of everybody's mouth when they talk about this is:

Two and a Half Men.

Now, I am not saying Charlie Sheen didn't do it for publicity... and it seems like he's getting tons. He certainly knows how the Hollywood machine works, and part of him is milking this. But judging from his interviews, he's either a better actor than we think, or he's really nuts.His longtime publicist quit on him earlier this week. Which means these radio shows and interviews... Sheen's doing them on his own. And if Warner Bros. publicists were somehow involved in this as a stunt, I think they'd find a way to do so without resorting to having Sheen call his boss a "clown" and "piece of shit" on television.

maestrowork
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Sheen is either a loose cannon at this time, or he's a genius.

Take your pick.

James81
03-04-2011, 08:48 PM
This.

James, you have a very cynical view of Hollywood, and I understand. I have seen Hollywood first-hand. Do I think there's no act or publicity stunt in this thing? No... but I don't buy it that everyone is doing it for publicity and supporting Sheen. Sheen's character on 2 1/2 Men is basically a fictionalized version of himself, so it's not really an "act" per se. He is that kind of person in real life. There's much more at stakes than just a show... his own life, his children's life, his family (Emilio and Martin have been really mum about him except that fact that Charlie needs help and refuses it).

And Chuck Lorre definitely doesn't need the publicity. It's one of the most popular shows on TV now, raking in $600 million a season (that's more than most blockbuster movies, including Titantic). Why does Lorre need to shut down production (and costing $millions in production cost and revenue) just to get some publicity? To make $700 million instead of $600 million? I think Chuck Lorre has more integrity than that. Lorre has other hit shows including the Big Bang Theory. He doesn't need that kind of publicity and he definitely doesn't need to put on an act to do so. Sure, if the publicity helps Two and a Half Men in the future in terms of ratings, etc. GREAT, but I doubt that Chuck Lorre is in it for publicity. It'd be like Stephen Spielberg having a public spar with Harrison Ford just to get more famous. It just doesn't happen, even in Hollywood.

Now, I am not saying Charlie Sheen didn't do it for publicity... and it seems like he's getting tons. He certainly knows how the Hollywood machine works, and part of him is milking this. But judging from his interviews, he's either a better actor than we think, or he's really nuts. And I certainly don't think he's that great of an actor to pull off that stunt completely. And he's had a lifetime of misbehavior and temper to support my theory that he's been nuts all along. This is not a one-time thing.

I actually think we're kind of saying the same thing here. Like I said, I don't think it's ALL for publicity or anything like that. I was just saying that I don't think it's a simple case of "Sheen is nuts." I suspect he knows what he's doing and he certainly knows how to get attention. I also suspect that the shows creators/staff know what they are doing as well, and how to spin this stuff in their favor.

maestrowork
03-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Just because Sheen knows how to get attention doesn't mean he's not nuts. In fact, some of the most insane people are attention whores.

jvc
03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
And some of the most insane people in history were genius' ;)

mulcahy67
03-04-2011, 09:09 PM
somehow i think when we're looking back on it, the same guy who said "I'm an F-18, bro" will not be looked upon as much of a genius.

although i can't lie, "bi-polar? I'm bi-winning" was pretty profound.

jvc
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Maybe he can get a role in the next Transformers movie :D

Celia Cyanide
03-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I actually think we're kind of saying the same thing here. Like I said, I don't think it's ALL for publicity or anything like that. I was just saying that I don't think it's a simple case of "Sheen is nuts." I suspect he knows what he's doing and he certainly knows how to get attention. I also suspect that the shows creators/staff know what they are doing as well, and how to spin this stuff in their favor.

I don't know if I would agree. They know what they are doing, but how are they spinning this stuff in their favor? How is any of this bringing positive attention to the show?

And I DO think this is a simple case of "Sheen is nuts." If he were James Franco, or Joaquin Phoenix, or Christopher Walken, or Crispen Glover, or any other of the unusual actors with a strange sense of humor, I might think otherwise. But this is just Charlie Sheen. He's a pretty simple guy.

maestrowork
03-04-2011, 10:03 PM
But this is just Charlie Sheen. He's a pretty simple guy.

My feeling, too. Booze, drugs, spotlights and porn stars. That's pretty much it for Charlie Sheen.

regdog
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM

As a long time Transformers fan, Jed I must say, :e2tongue:

benbradley
03-06-2011, 03:30 AM
At least one show prop is being sold off, this green piano:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Knabe-Metallic-Green-Piano-2-1-2-Men-TV-Show-/190251673926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c4be22946

Cyia
03-06-2011, 05:16 AM

Why not? Megan Fox got her start on 2 1/2 Men...

bohica
03-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Why not? Megan Fox got her start on 2 1/2 Men...

I lol'd, thinking you were referencing a less than discreet method of procuring acting jobs, and then realized that she really did guest star on the show. I am less amused now. :(

ChaosTitan
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Not canceled as previously reported?

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/ashton-kutcher-to-replace-charlie-sheen-on-two-and-a-half-men/62846

robeiae
05-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Not canceled as previously reported?

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/ashton-kutcher-to-replace-charlie-sheen-on-two-and-a-half-men/62846
Ashton Kutcher on Two and a Half Men...

So they're replacing Jake, too!?!?!?

CACTUSWENDY
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Am not a fan of AK. I can see I won't be watching this show any more.

cherita
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
If AK sucks hard (and he probably will), that'll just make Charlie Sheen look like he really *is* winning.

On another note, I don't get Ashton Kutcher. Like, Punk'd was funny and a clever idea at the time (I mean, he made Justin Timberlake cry! I still LOL just thinking about that episode because I am a mean sadist). And the 70's Show, well, gotta start somewhere. But that was like the apex of his career. Yet, he's still somehow really popular. Why?

shadowwalker
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah, it'll be off my list as well.

Grrarrgh
05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
It's official: Ashton Kutcher is joining Two and a Half Men.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/13/official-ashton-kutcher-joins-two-and-a-half-men/

AnneMarble
05-14-2011, 03:53 AM

:Clap:

Now that comment is... winning.

QueenViv
05-14-2011, 07:05 AM

Couldn't agree more!
I had read reports they were talking to Hugh Grant. Instead they got Kelso? What happened?

Thanks Heavens the guys from TBBT don't seem to be such divas/nutjobs as Sheen!

veinglory
05-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I'll give it a go. Who knows.

Grrarrgh
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I'll give it a go. Who knows.

Me, too. I at least want to know what the story line is going to be. I'll make a final decision about sticking with it once I find out how they make this work.

Don Allen
05-16-2011, 09:23 PM

I actually thought Huge Grant would have been a stroke of genius, Kutcher sucks, he sucked in that 70's show, and has tanked in everything he's done since. No way does he bring the sarcasm of Sheen.

Sefer
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Does this mean Two and a Half Men got... punked?

Tekqueen
05-26-2011, 09:27 PM
I had heard Aston pardon I'm going to mistype the last name Kutcher was going to be on the series for a season. Maybe more to follow who knows what will happen but still I would wish sucess for the show even without sheen.

Tekqueen