PDA

View Full Version : LA Peeps...

Noah Body
02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
...and that's LA as in Los Angeles, not Louisiana. :D

I'm looking for a neighborhood that was a good family-oriented middle class 'hood in maybe the 1960s, but has since grown into a enclave for the wealthy and their larvae. I know that Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Brentwood, Bel Air, etc. were already established communities by then, but what's the newest one? Silver Lake, maybe?

JulieHowe
02-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Silverlake is way too edgy. I'd pick Los Feliz. On Saturday morning the sidewalks are overrun with double-baby joggers and strollers. The moms are quite often dad and dad, gay male couples in their early thirties with their new babies. I wouldn't call them Bel Air rich - these are lawyers in their first years of private practice, people who work for the movie and TV studios. I know someone responsible for setting up and taking down theatre sets. He just bought a house in Los Feliz.

Los Feliz is a wonderful place, especially the neighborhood surrounding Franklin and Hillhurst. On a Saturday morning, you'll see religious Jews walking to and from services, and people from outside the area parking their cars and walking up the street to a yoga class. (They have rolled-up mats tucked under their arms.)

The houses are smaller. My friend paid close to a half-million dollars for a two-bedroom fixer-upper, and this was within the last 12 months. The house is gorgeous and has a backyard large by Los Angeles standards.

Silverlake is up-and-coming. There are more renters than homeowners, and you won't find the baby stroller brigade. The neighborhood is also more ethnic than Los Feliz.

Medievalist
02-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Santa Monica, just south of Wilshire. Lots of the aircraft families lived in houses built for them by Hughes, and later, other aircraft related companies. They paid c. $5000.00 down, and a tiny mortgage to a Hughs-owned mortgage company. The houses were built in the early fifties.

Look around Pico and c. 15th. There's lots of local history around the area related to the families who lived there in small houses, mostly two bedroom with a small yard.

cptwentworth
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Maybe Palos Verdes or Rolling Hills Estates? I grew up in the South Bay area down there, and us Torrance kids were always in awe of the doctors and richies up on the hill.

JulieHowe
02-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Scratch the Los Feliz suggestion. I misunderstood what you were looking for. The others who posted after me have much better suggestions. :)

Smiling Ted
02-25-2011, 06:16 AM
For currently wealthy enclaves, try Pacific Palisades (just south of Malibu), Sherman Oaks (in the San Fernando Valley), or any part of LA west of the 405 Freeway and north of the 10.

Bear in mind that many people in these neighborhoods, especially long-time residents, may be only "land rich" - they bought their homes when prices were realistic, and now are sitting on property they could never buy today - unless LA home prices have undergone a massive, massive rollback.

Noah Body
02-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Thank you, folks!

ETA: Hey, what about Glendale?

Jeanette
02-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Westchester and parts of Culver City. Westchester is where Howard Hughes built Spruce Goose... For African-American wealth, look to Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills and View Park/Windsor Hills.

Medievalist
02-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Thank you, folks!

Until the 1970s Glendale was citrus farming, mostly.

The Glendale Galleria was built over/on top of a lemon grove.

JulieHowe
02-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Thank you, folks!

Nope. Solidly middle-class all around. There are some wealthy enclaves in the hills above Glendale, but there's a rustic feel to many of those homes.