Feeling like the bad guy

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I just had a call from my sister who asked me a favour. My nephew is at university and needs someone to act as a guarantor for his flat. Apparently, the rent is paid for a year upfront so there's 'no risk' to me. While I said no, I obviously didn't say it was because it is a risk to me. My nephew is a 21 year old kid. He's been at university for three years (which I thought was the length of an average degree) and I haven't got the sort of money I'd need if everything went tits up. With the best will in the world, I'm not trusting a 21 year old student with something that could potentially be this big for my wife and me.

Either way, it doesn't stop me now feeling like the bad guy who won't help someone out. So be honest, am I being the bad guy?

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're all perfectly good reasons for not doing it. Why can't your sister be the guarantor, what with it being her son and all?

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Silent Rob on this one. It's your sister's responsibility, not yours. I'm all for helping family out when possible, but there's a limit.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw your reply to Rob. That's unfortunate, but it still doesn't make it your responsibility. This isn't a quick loan to get the kid some books. This is way too much to take on if you're not absolutely sure you could afford to lose it.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, you're not. I wouldn't do it either.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I just saw your reply to Rob. That's unfortunate, but it still doesn't make it your responsibility. This isn't a quick loan to get the kid some books. This is way too much to take on if you're not absolutely sure you could afford to lose it.

Exactly. There's no way in hell I could afford it if his landlord wrote to me with a demand for money to cover rent or damage to the flat.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pretty awkward position to be put in. Seems to me that people often don't think these things through before asking.

If it's a shared flat, you might find that one of the other flatmates manages to get somebody to do it.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Personally, I think she shouldn't have asked you. I don't think it was fair because of the position it put you in. And your answer to her was justified because nothing is set in stone. Something could happen leaving you holding the bill in the hand.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I think she said he needs to be in this flat by next week. If that's right, it's the sort of thing that puts me off saying yes. If he's called his mother with less than a week to go before he needs a guarantor, it doesn't give me much confidence in him treating this like an adult.

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
No, you're not. I wouldn't do it either.

Agreed. I know it's hard to shut off the "but I should've done more!" voice in your brain, but that voice shouldn't be confused with objective truth.

seun, if you can't deal with the consequences of a disaster there, you can't. That's the best reason of all to say no.

If you had a gabillion dollars, OTOH, and were just withholding because you didn't like your sister's birthday present from last year? My answer might be different. :)

I just had to explain to my siblings why they couldn't agree to an unlimited reimbursement for painting my mom's house if its sale fails. "How much money can y'all put toward this?" "Um, not much." "OK, then. We tally that 'not much' for each of us and the total of that tally is our max liability." "But that's not fair!" *headdesk*

Sometimes it's harder than others to separate out feeling and sense!

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Seun- if in any way they hold this against you, then it's their issue.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seun, I think the key thing here is that if it really is just a formality, you'd be confident that your sister would step in and deal with any issues that arose. If you're not, then it's far more than a formality and it's perfectly reasonable to say no.

As for being the bad guy - the refusal's based on a rational assessment of your ability to take the fall if you needed to, not on you being a big, fat meanie. So you're just the rational guy.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
My father co-signed a loan for a cousin of mine years ago. Guess who ended up paying it off?

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not the bad guy, Seun. Rob is.

(But seriously, I agree with everyone else.)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The only way I'd agree to it would be if his mother then signed a note for the amount you'd be guaranteeing - ie, she would be legally responsible to pay you back if things went topsy-turvy. She should be willing to do that, since I'm assuming she would've signed for her son if she'd been "eligible".

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As for being the bad guy - the refusal's based on a rational assessment of your ability to take the fall if you needed to, not on you being a big, fat meanie. So you're just the rational guy.

Well, when I said no, I was wearing a tall hat and cape. And I laughed evilly as I twirled my tache.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not the bad guy, Seun. Rob is.

*high five*

Well, when I said no, I was wearing a tall hat and cape. And I laughed evilly as I twirled my tache.

But look, seun's even badder.

I don't know how you can live with yourself, seun. Especially with that tache.

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
if i were really close with the kid...then i'd probably do it...but only if my wife agreed...either of these factors out...then no...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
But look, seun's even badder.

I don't know how you can live with yourself, seun. Especially with that tache.

I just punch a few orphans and feel better.

No. It's not just money. It's your security.

Exactly. With the way things are job wise, I need to focus on the family my wife and I make, not be thinking about my nephew maybe having a party that gets a bit wild and a landlord then presenting me with a bill for broken windows.