Writing a multiple-narrative chapter-by-chapter synopsis - advice needed

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Hi,

An agent who has being reading my full has asked me for a chapter-by-chapter synopsis, and I am pretty sure I know what is required (she only wants a few lines/bullet points for each chapter - there are sixty chapters in total, and she has also asked for an indication in the time lapses between each character's chapters).

I have seen some people suggesting that where the novel has multiple narratives and/or time shifts, that this should be indicated in the chapter heading in the synopsis (e.g. Chapter 7 - Catalina - Santiago - 1813 or Chapter 13 - Jorge - Two Days Later).

To indicate why this could prevent a difficulty for me, let me explain a little about the structure of my novel. I have seven main characters in my novel. At the beginning none of them have met, and they only begin meeting about a third of the way through the novel. Now, while each character's chapters occur chronologically (i.e. Catalina 2 follows Catalina 1 and Jorge 2 follows Jorge 1), they don't necessarily happen in lock-step with each other (Jorge 1 & 2 occur before Catalina 1 & 2). However, for the purposes of keeping each character fresh (amongst other reasons), the book order goes something like this:

Catalina 1
Jorge 1
Catalina 2
Jorge 2

(and so on - but for seven distinct characters).

My question is this (if you are still with me): Do I need to indicate all the time shifts in the novel? Or (and this is my hope) will it suffice to give the time lapse from the character's last chapter (e.g. Chapter 13 - Jorge - Two Days Later).

This is only really an issue for the first third of the novel, then all chronological issues disappear.

Should I just forget all the time-nonsense and just write a clear, spare summary of each chapter?

Thanks,

Dave

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I would begin by trying to go through the book and put time stamps on each scene. I am not saying chapter here, because I am writing the same basic structure (six characters) and I have 2-3 scenes per chapter.

Then by chapter summarize in a few sentences at the start.

For me, it was easiest to group my chapters by theme.Chapter one was Splish, Slash: killings, and cutting ties. Chapter two was Half Baked: tanning, baking cookies, at the beach, and a spell leaving a man dazed. So on and so forth. I have everything placed consecutively pretty much though or enough so that it won't make any difference I don't think.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
One problem that I see with Catalina 1 Jorge 1 is that at least with the names you mention, they might be confused with the places- especially if you're querying american agents. What if you just had CATALINA: Jorge 1 (2,3) so you could differentiate between the two. I'm not sure why the places and people need numbers. I would just number the people. Remember, you want to use your words sparingly and keep it short and neat.

This might be different for fiction and non-fiction. I wrote a memoir and needed to do this for my proposal. I had 74 chapters. My mentor, a published memoirist told me for the purposes of my proposal cut down to 25 chapters to make it less confusing. (I couldn't do 25, but it got it to 30). Before she told me this, I did the chapter summaries for all 74 chapters. I was quite attached to my 74 chapters, but after checking with some of the experts here, they concurred (since I'm doing my first book and I'm not James Patterson, LOL).

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that around 30 is a LOT more reasonable. You can always split character shifts within chapters by scene breaks, a centered #. I aim for anywhere between 2,000 and 4,000 words per chapter. Mine average about 2,500, but that is me.

kathleea

Card-carrying Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kathleensallen.weebly.com
I have the same issue for my WIP. Multiple POV from the main characters (5 main and then three that come in just once or twice). I started naming each chapter with the character's name but had too many chapters. Now I put the name of the character in all caps when that particular character is "on" so to speak. I may have two or three characters in one chapter speaking. The main main (if you will) character has the majority of the "speaking" throughout the book though. I haven't begun the synopsis yet but have done the pitch and the query.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't very clear: Catalina 1 and Jorge 1 are separate chapters (and are not named like that - it was just to make things clear here, and possibly in the synopsis)
Oops, LOL--I thought some were places.
I don't think you need numbers after the names. I've read a few books recently with multiple narrators and they just have the person's name at the top.
So one chapter might be MIKE the next MARY the next TEDDY the next MARY...ithey don't go follow a set pattern usually.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Dave,

From what I'm reading here, it sounds like you have separate chapters for each character and they are sequential according to a certain time line. The agent has asked fro a synopsis of each chapter with an indication of the how time moves in your story.

If time shift is important to your novel, then I would certainly make it known to the reader about the time shift. It needs to be very clear to the reader what is happening.

I would give the agent exactly what she asks for as far as chapter synopsis and time lapses. For example, if a day happens between the two chapters, then that's what you might want to write.

Good luck!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A synopsis is in many ways an organizational tool. I don't know whether the agent has read the manuscript or not, as this impacts this somewhat, but either way, it appears that the agent has some confusion as to the time line of your manuscript.

List it the way it is laid out in your manuscript. You are allowed to include transitions in a synopsis, to show how the scenes connect. If it is too confusing and people get lost with the synopsis, then there is a good probability people are having the same problem with the manuscript.

It may well be that after you do your synopsis, that you decide some rearranging is necessary. One advantage of a synopsis and cut-and-paste is the ability to move things around quickly to see how it works. It may well be that what you thought of as a good arrangement is in fact not as effective as you thought.

But don't sugarcoat the synopsis. A synopsis should be what your book is. And if the synopsis has problems, I always figure the problem is also in the book.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Sorry guys, I didn't see your new posts, I don't appear to get notifications anymore to all of my subscribed threads.

Thank you for the advice. I left the time-issues out of the synopsis in the end, because they really aren't important in the overall scheme of things, and are deliberately not pointed out to the reader. It's only a small part of the manuscript where I was doing a little sleight of hand over minor historical matters to make the narrative run a little smoother.

Thanks again

Dave

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you figured it out.

I had a similar problem when writing out my normal synopsis (not chapter-by-chapter) because of the multiple POVs. Two chapters for Evie might make more sense together in one paragraph, even if Ace has a chapter in between them. It was one of the most difficult things about the synopsis. I don't even know how I'd do a chapter-by-chapter one, lol.