PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh does this haircut have a name?

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Goo' morning!

I'm trying to describe my MC in the first chapter but I don't want to go on and on about how he has his hair. I need something short because he isn't exactly styling it in that scene, he's playing Snake :Headbang:

This is what it looks like:
http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections2/reflectionshair8.jpg
Just not as combed and shiny. It grew like that without any care whatsoever.

Even better: http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections/mens4.jpg

But "his semi-long brown hair that bent outward at the tips" sounds kind of... police description-ish? The hair is this character's most important feature (appearance-wise) aside from his need-coffee-eyes, so I'd really like to give the reader a clear idea of it.

alleycat
02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
shag?

poetinahat
02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
afghan hound? (http://www.newspecialpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/afgan-hound-1.jpg) :D

scarletpeaches
02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes please, that'd be-

Oh.

I'd say 'long layers'.

alleycat
02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
The "Justin Bieber look"?

;-)

dpaterso
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe the reader would have to know hairdressing to understand descriptions like "feathered shag-cut" -- I'd stick to "his tousled locks fell over his brooding eyes" or similar, but that's just me.

I think I'd describe that second pic as "nouveau Yakuza" :)

-Derek

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
The "Justin Bieber look"?

;-)
:e2chain:

Maybe the reader would have to know hairdressing to understand descriptions like "feathered shag-cut" -- I'd stick to "his tousled locks fell over his brooding eyes" or similar, but that's just me.

-Derek
Hmm "tousled locks" googles me Pattinson at his worst and curly/wavy stuff.

I think "shag" or a derivative of that might work.. Shoulder-long shag??
Hmmmmmmmmm long shags... I miss'em... TALKING HAIR!! HAIR!!!!

jaksen
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Girlie.

hehe sorry, just first word came to mind...

And I grew up in the 60's - 70's when the boys I knew wore it longer and messier than that!

Edit: Long shag.

screamingturnip
02-24-2011, 06:00 PM

-Derek
OOo... free bit of dialogue
"Had a haircut like a gokudo."
"Carl, what the hell is a gokudo?"
"It's what Yakuza call themselves. Carl here always has to let you know that he knows more."

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Random comment is random.

PinkAmy
02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I grew up in the 60s and 70s and I believe shag had a lot more layers. I'd call it long, shaggy hair rather than name the haircut.

thothguard51
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Who is describing the look? Reason...whoever is describing the look will use a term that is familiar to them, and may not be what the hair style really is.

I hope it ain't the old look in the mirror trick...

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm trying to use his 3rd person POV.

Full context:

Maya threw her lemon slice at his head. As he fished the cold, slippery thing out of his semi-long shag and threw it into her cleavage, sending her running around the table squealing, he realized his happy place might as well be reality.

mgencleyn
02-24-2011, 10:28 PM
It's certainly a recent take on long indie hairstyles, probably borrowed from Asia after emo influence.

Dandroid
02-24-2011, 10:35 PM

Full context:

Maya threw her lemon slice at his head. As he fished the cold, slippery thing out of his semi-long shag and threw it into her cleavage, sending her running around the table squealing, he realized his happy place might as well be reality.

just keep it simple...this was fine....if not a touch awkward

Chris P
02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I only got bowl cuts during the 70s. No shags for me.

Bing Z
02-24-2011, 10:59 PM

I laughed out loud at "threw it into her cleavage." Why wasn't this game around when I was younger?

My first pick would be: "his hair" cuz it's HIS POV.

But I think what you have works fine, too.

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Thanks :) As for the awkwardness, should I cut the "semi-"?

As for POV, can't the whole thing (it's in SYW, mainstream) just be Third Person Omniscient, the undefined narrator knowing it all?

frimble3
02-25-2011, 05:57 AM
I'd go with 'long, straight hair' unless he's one of those people who really dwells on his hair. 'Long and straight' is what you need to know to see how the lemon slice didn't get caught in his curls.

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah but I don't want to re-introduce his hair at a later time just to give the reader a better idea of what it always looks like, so I wanted to describe his hair in that first bit and have that out of the way.

DrZoidberg
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
emo

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
lol

Been thinking that but not everyone knows what emo is, so I guessed shaggy would be more familiar to most.

Rufus Coppertop
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
A feral mop?

Personally, I'd just give him a flat top.

Jettica
02-25-2011, 08:56 PM
I also think just long and straight would work. Maybe 'straightened'?

jaksen
02-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Shag doesn't have to have layers. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and for a brief time wore my hair similar (but shorter) and it was mostly all one length and it was called a Shag.

I even had a shag wig, though to God I don't know why.

But I did make up the term: "long shag." I don't know if there's such a beast.

Have you asked a hairdresser?

Cyia
02-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Goo' morning!

I'm trying to describe my MC in the first chapter but I don't want to go on and on about how he has his hair. I need something short because he isn't exactly styling it in that scene, he's playing Snake :Headbang:

Full context:

His hair is choppy in that picture, possibly razor cut. I'm not sure putting "shag" in a book is going to make anyone think hairstyles. Especially paired with lemons and snakes.

(And that excerpt is awkwardly phrased.)

AmsterdamAssassin
03-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Razor-cut long shaggy hair

MeretSeger
03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Its a shag, but I fear the term after Austin Powers... 'semi-long shag' might make a reader go all Beavis and Butthead...

Smiling Ted
03-06-2011, 08:27 AM
The Leif Garret?

AmsterdamAssassin
03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
The Leif Garret?
You seriously expect people to remember Leif Garret?