Etiquette Question Regarding a Non-Responsive Agent

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
Last April, Agent X requested a full of my last work. He's known for not responding a lot of the time if he's not interested, so after nudging and not hearing back, I gave up. I'm getting ready to query my new manuscript now and I'd really like to query Agent X with it. What is the proper thing to do here? Do I query and mention the previous full, or query without mentioning it? Or hold off on querying him all together?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
He asked for a full almost a year ago and then never responded to your status requests or gave you an answer either way? I am not sure, but I think some of the seasoned writers have had full manuscripts out for around a year before getting an answer. Hopefully, they will come in and give some advice.

I don't know how others feel, but if it were me I might not query him again because he did not respond to any status requests after requesting a full. It just seems courtesy to respond to periodic status emails when a full has been requested. Then again, I have been gaining my query experience during the last few months. I'm sure I might learn something here too. :)

Just curious- did you ever find an agent for that particular book?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think I would query someone again who didn't even respond to a full. Not responding to queries, I can understand, but a full? Doesn't sit right with me.

Kilawher

Registered
Reaction score
He asked for a full almost a year ago and then never responded to your status requests or gave you an answer either way? I am not sure, but I think some of the seasoned writers have had full manuscripts out for around a year before getting an answer. Hopefully, they will come in and give some advice.

I don't know how others feel, but if it were me I might not query him again because he did not respond to any status requests after requesting a full. It just seems courtesy to respond to periodic status emails when a full has been requested. Then again, I have been gaining my query experience during the last few months. I'm sure I might learn something here too. :)

Just curious- did you ever find an agent for that particular book?

According to his Querytracker, he tends to either respond with a yes or no in a month or just never respond at all. He's also known for having an overly vigilant spam filter - I had to send my query twice before he finally got it, so it's possible that he never got my status queries at all, I guess. And nope, I never landed an agent for that book - I'm hoping this one will be the one :)

Cate,

Do you mean to query him with the new work? Or, query him again on the novel she did not hear back on?

Ditto this question.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I wouldn't bother to query him again, on any project. He's had your full for nearly a year. At least one of your status inquiries probably made it through his spam filter. If he's well-known for being a non-responder, take it as a rejection and move on. It's probably not actual rudeness on his part, more likely over-work and under-organization. Both of which would make me cautious about accepting his representation, at this point.

Filigree

Kilawher

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think I would query someone again who didn't even respond to a full. Not responding to queries, I can understand, but a full? Doesn't sit right with me.

Personally I wouldn't want an agent who couldn't be bothered to respond to a full. Queries, sure, some agencies get thousands a month, but a full ms? It doesn't bode well for his general communicativeness...

I wouldn't bother to query him again, on any project. He's had your full for nearly a year. At least one of your status inquiries probably made it through his spam filter. If he's well-known for being a non-responder, take it as a rejection and move on. It's probably not actual rudeness on his part, more likely over-work and under-organization. Both of which would make me cautious about accepting his representation, at this point.

I thought this too for a while, but all of his clients seem to be thrilled with him and he makes great deals, so I would still like to query him again. I read an interview somewhere with one of his clients where she says he's great with communication :p I guess you have to sign with him first though.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I would never stop very politely nudging someone who has my full, even if it has been a year.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how polite you can be after a year? Even after six months?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Six months is still worth politeness. Anything over a year calls for icy efficiency, if not the assumption of non-interest.

If he digs the thing back up after a year and calls you, you'll have to make that judgement yourself. Can you balance other clients' glowing reviews with the fact that he cannot organize his office?

Sad to say, it may just be that he wasn't interested. A growing number of agents have opted for a no-response tack with rejected fulls, because they really don't want to sling emails back and forth with bewildered and disappointed writers.

Filigree

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I would take the lack of response as lack of interest and query the new project, treating it as a separate entity.

Some agents are great communicators with prospects and poor with clients, some have the reverse situation (some are bad with both, some good with both). If this is the right agent for this project, you'll know soon enough.

Kilawher

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! I'll query again and hope for the best.

Delectability

Slave to the Squirrels...
Registered
Reaction score
Do whatever you feel is right, but I see both sides. I might send another status request on the previous work, but send the second to another agent. Regardless of what you choose, I would not mention 1 in Query 2.

Good luck!