When English isn't your mother tongue

Reaction score
Website
ore-sama.deviantart.com
If an agent sees in your query that your English is decent but obviously not your first language, will they even bother? I know there's a certain tolerance for typos and punctuation errors but how do you iron out an "accent"?

All input is appreciated :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I wouldn't worry about "ironing out your accent", at least not where your fiction is concerned - it's part of your writerly voice, not just your spoken voice.

I would however get a native English speaker to go over the query and fix any errors - you don't want to give the agent any excuse to say no in the 10 seconds they devote to your query.

You could even hop over to SYW here, now you have over 50 posts, and get it nibbled by the squirrels :)

Reaction score
Website
ore-sama.deviantart.com
Thank you!
Yeah, I did post a bit of my actual manuscript in SYW! But so let's say I have a native clean up my query, will the agent acceptingly clean up the manuscript (or expect the publisher to, however it works) or will their jaw drop when they realize that the query had more cleaning-up than the MS?

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Thank you!
Yeah, I did post a bit of my actual manuscript in SYW! But so let's say I have a native clean up my query, will the agent acceptingly clean up the manuscript (or expect the publisher to, however it works) or will their jaw drop when they realize that the query had more cleaning-up than the MS?

Generally, no. Some agents will go over an MS before sending it to editors, but they are not there to clean up your MS. This is your job. If it is a big problem for you, consider paying for an editor to go over it before you submit.

That said, it may not be something to worry about. One of the charms for me of reading Australian books (or even Irish books) is the difference in the way the language is used, despite it still being native English. As long as you are writing according to the rules of English grammar, this may strengthen your writing.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Apply the same "clean up" to the manuscript as you apply to the query. Provided you have a query that gets requests for material, you won't get any further with the agent if the MS doesn't have the same standard. Always send out your best, most polished work. Don't send it out until then.

Last edited:

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you're asking for yourself, Sad Soup-Eating Girl, or not...but your English reads perfectly normal to me. Having someone go over the mss is always a good idea, but if you're afraid it's going to hurt you, do you really need to say it's a second language? I couldn't tell from reading this post (y'know, except for the part where you said so).

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I'd recommend finding a native English beta reader to help you with the MS. It worked wonders for me -- I tend to mix up my prepositions and US/UK terms. Apparently, American cashiers don't use tills, but cash registers. Who'd have thunk? ;)

Reaction score
Website
ore-sama.deviantart.com
I don't know if you're asking for yourself, Sad Soup-Eating Girl, or not...but your English reads perfectly normal to me. Having someone go over the mss is always a good idea, but if you're afraid it's going to hurt you, do you really need to say it's a second language? I couldn't tell from reading this post (y'know, except for the part where you said so).
Wow thanks :e2headban
Well if it's not obvious, then I certainly won't mention it being my 2nd language :evil

Thanks everyone, that's all really reassuring! I'm currently doing clean-up work anyway!