Defense of Marriage Act Going to Court?

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
President Obama has instructed the Justice Department to stop defending the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, which has since 1996 allowed states to refuse to recognize same-sex partnerships legally recognized in other states.

The announcement was made in a letter from Attorney General Eric Holder to congressional leaders in relation to two lawsuits, Pedersen v. OPM and Windsor v. United States, which challenge a section of DOMA that defines marriage for federal purposes as only between one man and one woman.

President Obama believes that section – Section 3 -- “is unconstitutional” given the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment (including its equal protection component), Holder wrote, and the president has instructed the Department of Justice to no longer defend the law in those two lawsuits.

Wow, who needs the courts? I wonder how it is that he can see this as unconstitutional while being blind to the fact that his health care plan doesn't pass muster.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give him serious credit for at least recognizing one unconstitutional act when it hits him in the face. Now, if in the interests of bipartisanship, he'd recognize all the rest of them, we could do some serious government-trimming.

I'm not holding my breath.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
It kinda baffles me--how some folks simply cannot seem to imagine that anybody could possibly disagree about what is or is not constitutional.

For the record, I agree with President Obama on this issue.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Denying a person the same rights afforded to another based based on their sexual preference is unconstitutional because it is prejudicial.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Wow, who needs the courts? I wonder how it is that he can see this as unconstitutional while being blind to the fact that his health care plan doesn't pass muster.

Not sure of the connection between the two, can you explain? If DOMA is unconstitutional, how does that make Obamacare so?

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure of the connection between the two, can you explain? If DOMA is unconstitutional, how does that make Obamacare so?

The connection is Obama and his willingness to accept a ruling that Section 3 of DOMA is unconstitutional (ruled thus by one court) while ignoring the fact that a couple of courts have also found his health care plan unconstitutional (specifically the mandate portion which some might argue is the linchpin of the law). He has abandoned DOMA, yet he persists with the implementation of health care despite the fact that his plan is likely to be crushed by the court.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The connection is Obama and his willingness to accept a ruling that Section 3 of DOMA is unconstitutional (ruled thus by one court) while ignoring the fact that a couple of courts have also found his health care plan unconstitutional (specifically the mandate portion which some might argue is the linchpin of the law). He has abandoned DOMA, yet he persists with the implementation of health care despite the fact that his plan is likely to be crushed by the court.

Ultimately, only the U.S. Supreme Court can pass on what is and what is not unconstitutional. The lower courts are merely arguing grounds for temporary rulings. You give us your opinions on what is or is not unconstitutional, which have opinion value, but no legal status. Obama has done the same thing, nothing more. I fail to see anything wrong with his having done that, just as I fail to see anything wrong with you doing so.

So what's your gripe?

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Obama has done the same thing, nothing more. I fail to see anything wrong with his having done that, just as I fail to see anything wrong with you doing so.

So what's your gripe?

No, Obama has ordered the Justice Dept to stop defending DOMA. That isn't the same as stating an opinion.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No, Obama has ordered the Justice Dept to stop defending DOMA. That isn't the same as stating an opinion.

Won't matter. I can guarantee that somebody will spend lots of time, effort and money to defend this when it gets before the Supremes, which it certainly will. It's the Administration's position now that it won't be them. That's all.

Every Administration supports some constitutional litigation and opposes others. You and I might disagree with those positions, but it's their right (and responsibility) to do so.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It kinda baffles me--how some folks simply cannot seem to imagine that anybody could possibly disagree about what is or is not constitutional.

Me too. If nobody ever disagreed on this, why would the Supreme Court be voting on it? Even they don't always agree on what is and is not constitutional.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Won't matter. I can guarantee that somebody will spend lots of time, effort and money to defend this when it gets before the Supremes, which it certainly will. It's the Administration's position now that it won't be them. That's all.

So in other words, he won't fight for it one way or the other? If some group wants to spend their own money on defending it, and it sticks, then it's a ok with him? If that's correct, then it's a bit of a cop out, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
So in other words, he won't fight for it one way or the other? If some group wants to spend their own money on defending it, and it sticks, then it's a ok with him? If that's correct, then it's a bit of a cop out, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Not a cop out at all. He's saying the Justice Dept will not spend time or money defending it. Whatever else happens is up to the courts and whoever does get involved, which is what should happen.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't believe this was even an issue because the only argument I've seen against gay marriage was religion-based.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't believe this was even an issue because the only argument I've seen against gay marriage was religion-based.
It's an issue because many voters in the US vote based on their religious beliefs. And many politicians appeal to religion as a way of getting votes, and then they vote based on a fundamentalist christain ideology.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi

I'm about to sit down to dinner, so I haven't thought much about this... but I think it'll depend on who the parties to the suit are. Only a party to the lawsuit can contest it (or choose not to). Some other party, no matter how much they may care, can't just pick up the.. mantel? Gauntlet?

Anyway, if the fed govt is the only named party on one side of the "V." then it's game over. Unless my shallow, pre-dinner consideration has missed something, which is entirely possible.... :)

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to sit down to dinner, so I haven't thought much about this... but I think it'll depend on who the parties to the suit are. Only a party to the lawsuit can contest it (or choose not to). Some other party, no matter how much they may care, can't just pick up the.. mantel? Gauntlet?

Anyway, if the fed govt is the only named party on one side of the "V." then it's game over. Unless my shallow, pre-dinner consideration has missed something, which is entirely possible.... :)

I know what you mean. I, also, have a hard time figuring these things out when I'm hungry.

Reaction score
Obama is against gay marriage.

He is for not defending the DOMA because it is unconstitutional. Even though for the past two years he did.

But he will still enforce it because it is law and it's his job as President.

So his own opinion about gay marriage is unconstitutional.

And he will still go on enforcing it's unconstitutionality but not in court.

And he agrees with that because he's against gay marriage. So, he's on the same page with himself on half of it.

So, it all....

What?!

This guy is something else.

Deleted member 42

Anyway, if the fed govt is the only named party on one side of the "V." then it's game over.

Well, no. The Justice department may not be defending DOMA, but Congress may decide to defend DOMA, and hire an attorney(s).