PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Lawsuit

Collectonian
02-23-2011, 08:43 PM
In another one of those prime examples of how not to respond to a negative review, Karin Calvo-Goller filed a lawsuit in France against two professors over the publication of a mildly negative review of her book (one was the writer, the other the online publisher). Suffice to say, if she had any reputation in the legal system and non-fiction realm, it is gone now. Per the New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/us/22bar.html?_r=1&hp), at the time they published it the book had one negative review on Amazon. Of course, they have picked up on the story and gone nuts with it. When I looked, there were 55 (http://www.amazon.com/Trial-Proceedings-International-Criminal-Court/dp/9004149317), mostly about this story.

I found this instance particularly interesting because of her choosing to file in France, where she is technically a citizen, instead of in the country of publication. As the professors note, it might make traveling more difficult for them, but otherwise the French courts really can't do much. They certainly can't make them remove the review. Seems to be me it would have been far wiser to just accept the offer to respond initially offered.

Would any agent or publisher be likely to touch anything else of hers after such an incident?

Momento Mori
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Well Karin Calvo-Goller's just proved herself to be a big baby and any reputation she had will be destroyed by the fact that people will be laughing at her for being so childish.

Way to go, Karin.

MM

Libbie
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Wow. What an idiot.

Smaddux
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Again there are people out there that think they are better!

Libbie
02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow. What an idiot.

Think she'll try to sue me for saying that? Hahaha.

mscelina
02-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Stupid woman. Just stupid.

AlwaysJuly
02-23-2011, 11:01 PM
I just really wonder what goes through your mind when you make the decision to sue someone over a bad review.

jaksen
02-23-2011, 11:08 PM
49 one-star ratings and counting.

Many of them are tongue-in-cheek satirical and brilliant.

Gives me faith in writers when I read this stuff.

Jamesaritchie
02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't see any way to recover after doing something this incredibly stupid. Please tell me she visits AW. I want to be sued by someone like this.

Susan Littlefield
02-24-2011, 01:12 AM
That is so sad. Sounds like she's made a....well...stupid decision to sue over something so petty.

gothicangel
02-24-2011, 01:16 AM
She's an academic to boot.

Who would hire her now?

Momento Mori
02-24-2011, 01:32 AM
I seem to remember being told once that if you set the criminal courts in motion in France, you can't turn them off so even if this numpty realises that she's made herself look like an utter arse, everyone still has to go to court.

Stupid, vain, pathetic woman. If I was one of her students, I wouldn't be listening to her lectures because I'd be too busy pointing and laughing.

MM

leahzero
02-24-2011, 01:36 AM
*waves pitchfork and torch*

JRVogt
02-24-2011, 02:38 AM
How long until someone sues an author for writing a less-than-perfect book? Wouldn't that be grounds for wasting their life, mental trauma at the unhappy ending, etc.? Hmm...

Snowstorm
02-24-2011, 03:05 AM
49 one-star ratings and counting.

Up to 59 now. If she wanted to keep up high-and-mighty appearances, boy she blew it.

James D. Macdonald
02-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Responding in any way whatever to an unfavorable review is called the ABM: The Author's Big Mistake.

Sad Soup-eating Girl
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Well, she isn't the only one who chooses to ridicule themselves like that. The bigger part of the active German Book on Demand community was recently threatened with a lawsuit because they commented on a BoD author's negative review on another BoD author's book which was about the same thing as hers, just more affordable. She had bashed the book into the ground in an Amazon review, going on and on about spelling errors that weren't event there. When we - the rest of the BoD community - commented on that review being an act of desperate competition bashing, she threatened to sue us, especially if we were to write "unlawful" (by which she meant negative) reviews on hers.
The thing was: She had introduced her book to us and we kindly pointed out that it was full of typos and spellos and for 300 pages, €40 would probably be too much, especially for the target audience: the unemployed. She got really nasty and accused of us things, she even said I was that other writer exacting "revenge".
Then "that other writer" came and introduced her book, same topic, an exact tenth of the price. She got it bad from Miss Dontcritme.

Those incidents are ridiculous, aggravating but oh so very, very entertaining. I'm kinda sad it's over.

artemis31386
02-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Responding in any way whatever to an unfavorable review is called the ABM: The Author's Big Mistake.

:Thumbs:

Kewii
02-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't understand why so many people think it's a good idea to sue after a negative...or slightly negative review.

We have a similar situation going to court here, except it's not an author suing. A blogger is being sued for writing a negative review of the new Benihana in Kuwait.
http://www.248am.com/mark/kuwait/im-being-sued-by-benihana/

I think what people don't get is that they're driving more people away by acting like this

Jamesaritchie
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't even understand why writers read reviews. I gave up doing that years and years ago. Why worry about something that's out of your control, and that damned few readers care about?

Every writer gets bad reviews, and their books keep on selling and selling and selling. What else matters?

Dandroid
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
there must be more to this....

SirOtter
02-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't even understand why writers read reviews.

Oscar Wilde once said he never read reviews. The bad ones were obviously wrong, and the good ones only confirmed what he already knew.

Jamesaritchie
02-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Oscar Wilde once said he never read reviews. The bad ones were obviously wrong, and the good ones only confirmed what he already knew.

I like his attitude. I can't remember who said it, but I once read that if you believe the good reviews, you're obligated t believe the bad ones, as well.

I choose simply not to read either.

Fan letters mean one heck of a lot more to me and what any reviewer or critic has to say.

Carlene
02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Oh, dear. Reminds me of a LOL I met in a small writing conference. In one of the classes she said she'd entered a story (I believe children's) in a contest and...didn't win! She wrote to the judges and asked why. AND, when none of them answered, she was ready to write them again to ask why. We all told her to get over it - rejection is part of the game but....I don't think she was convinced.

Carlene

shaldna
02-25-2011, 12:06 AM
How long until someone sues an author for writing a less-than-perfect book? Wouldn't that be grounds for wasting their life, mental trauma at the unhappy ending, etc.? Hmm...

Not suing, but something much more entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/Unhappy-Breaking-Dawn-burn-it-RETURN/forum/Fx1GAA6GYWX8459/TxJ0PLIBGHDLU5/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=031606792X

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1592457/twilight-author-reacts-breaking-dawn-complaints.jhtml

http://angiesdesk.blogspot.com/2008/08/dont-burn-it-return-it.html

geardrops
03-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Update: http://mhpbooks.com/mobylives/?p=28930

Now, a judge has dismissed the case and ordered the author to pay punitive damages to the people she brought the charges against. According to a report in the Chronicle of Higher Education by Jennifer Howard, “The editor, Joseph H.H. Weiler,a professor at New York University’s School of Law, said he had been awarded €8,000 (about $11,000) as a result of the action brought against him by Karin N. Calvo-Goller, a senior lecturer at the Academic Center of Law & Business, in Israel.”

Collectonian
03-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Oh good lord....and she actually posted a comment on that post (presuming it really is her) implying she isn't happy with their report either!

Snowstorm
03-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Good on the judge. Nice to see what appears to be the right judgment.