PDA

View Full Version : My wish for every writer...

Laineywrites
02-23-2011, 05:33 AM
I had a fabulous three day weekend and it was not because I went shopping, or to the movies, or out on a really good date (and enjoyed the um....physical perks... a really good date entails) which is what I usually do on the weekend. All I did this wonderful three-day weekend in heaven was write.

I went to bed Friday night with the intention of working as much as I could on my WIP and that's exactly what I did. In spades. Saturday morning at 8:00 am I started writing and I couldn't seem to stop. The words flowed out of my head in a constant stream that was never ending. Dialogue was fresh, dead ends conquered, characters sprung to life.

At 2:00 pm I had to force myself to take a break. I was back at it again at 6:00 pm and again I had to force myself to stop at 1:00 in the morning. I was so enjoying myself. I was invigorated. I was loving being a writer.

The same happened on Sunday, and again on Monday, and by the time I laid my head down Monday night I was exhausted, my carpal tunnels were killing me, and I had a neck ache from hunching over the keyboard for so long, but I was extremely happy. I had written three entire chapters totaling almost 15,000 words of usable, well written prose.

For me, the whole experience was nothing short of a miracle. I kept the edit bug at bay, the inner critique was silent, and the story that was beginning to bore me into a catatonic state, was the love of my life once again.

I got up this morning and reluctantly went to my current job crunching numbers (which I hope to soon replace with writing full time), with a renewed spirit and a wide smile on my face that lasted until well past lunch. Damn numbers.

Still, I wish the kind of weekend I just had on every writer out there, and I hope to have many more just like it.

Lainey

scarletpeaches
02-23-2011, 05:36 AM
*drools*

Sarah Madara
02-23-2011, 05:43 AM
That sounds wonderful.

For my last birthday my husband got me a hotel room to myself, just a few miles away but right on the beach. The hotel (motel, really) was a total dive because that was all he could afford on the sand ;) But I camped out with the screen door open, people playing volleyball below, the sounds of the surf floating in, and wrote wrote wrote. My location was right in the thick of where my WIP is set, so that helped even more. Oh, how I loved that weekend! I wish I could do it a lot more often...

MissMacchiato
02-23-2011, 05:48 AM
there's nothing like that feeling, is there. I spent a good bit of my cruising holiday doing that - sitting in a window overlooking the ocean, coffee in hand, laptop on lap... it was wonderful

Karen Junker
02-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Every summer for four days we go to the beach for our writers' workshop--but it's more like a retreat where there's lots of time to write and still play on the beach. I know quite a few writers who make arrangements with their friends to share a cabin once in a while somewhere remote and they get a lot of writing done. I think it helps to have the company. Just knowing that there are other people writing at the same time and expecting you to be writing too really helps.

leahzero
02-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, aren't you sweet.

AlwaysJuly
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Aw, that sounds nice!

stormie
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/writer/2.gif + http://bestsmileys.com/writer/2.gif + http://bestsmileys.com/writer/5.gif = http://bestsmileys.com/wow/2.gif

Glad you had that kind of weekend, Lainey :)

MissAimee
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Sweet...

Susan Littlefield
02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Lainey, That's wonderful! Except for the carpal tunnel and sore shoulders, that is. :D

elmoie
02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Lainey I envy you - that sounds like pure bliss.

jaksen
02-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I count the days I can spend a week - alone - at my summer house.

(Umm, it's more like a small cottage which I inherited. I was a teacher, after all. One bathroom, no washer-dryer-dishwasher, but it has the internet, ceiling fans and sits on a peninsula between two large bodies of water, so the air all day and night is sublime, a continual breeze that lifts the curtains all day long. In my small world, it's heaven.)

Anyhow, I know your feeling. I live for that week. I cry when it's over. (I think I posted this somewhere else, too.) Whatever I'm writing, I spend 8-10 hours a day writing, with brief breaks to eat or take a quick jaunt along the beach.

I hear you. I really really hear you.

Sharpshooter
02-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Lainey,

Good for you, and thanks for thinking of everyone else!

Had such an experience sometime ago, writing first book. A friend offered her cabin in the mountains for a week. I arrived, computer & paraphenalia in hand, to find that the cabin had no electricity! What a great week it was. I rented a generator and bought two kerosene lamps; wrote up a storm using those lamps to see the keyboard, and generator to light up the computer. The irony of that was heavy, but the experience was one of the greatest I've had. Wish the same for you and everybody else!