Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Some images.

There have been fatalities and quite a few people are trapped in partially collapsed office buildings. The aftershocks for this earthquake have also been shallow and violent, as well.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but it just needs to be pointed out: New Zealand is a very seismically active place, both for earthquakes and volcanoes. 6.3 Richter is a big quake, but far from a colossal one.

I live in a similar seismic hotbed, and we haven't had a really big shake in nearly half-a-century. We're due. I'm concerned.

200 miles north of us, back in 2002, there was a 6.7 Richter shake that we felt where I live. That occurred in a very sparsely populated area with little infrastructure. Three weeks later, there was a 7.9 Richter shake centered just a few miles eastward. We REALLY felt that one here, but were far enough away that no significant damage resulted. That 7.9 tremor was the most powerful quake in the world that year.

The Sumatra 2004 quake that produce the calamitous Indian Ocean tsunami is rated at something in excess of Richter 9.0. The Richter scale measures physical energy release, and is logarithmic. A 9.0 quake is ten times more powerful than an 8.0 quake, a hundred times more powerful than a 7.0. You just had a 6.3.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
6.3 at 5km down, only 10km from the city center is still a significant event. People have died, most of the city is in ruins, hundreds are still trapped and no doubt the population of christchurch is further traumatised.
Whether or not the number on the scale impresses you, seems pretty irrelevant to me.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I hate to say this, but it just needs to be pointed out: New Zealand is a very seismically active place, both for earthquakes and volcanoes. 6.3 Richter is a big quake, but far from a colossal one.

I live in a similar seismic hotbed, and we haven't had a really big shake in nearly half-a-century. We're due. I'm concerned.

200 miles north of us, back in 2002, there was a 6.7 Richter shake that we felt where I live. That occurred in a very sparsely populated area with little infrastructure. Three weeks later, there was a 7.9 Richter shake centered just a few miles eastward. We REALLY felt that one here, but were far enough away that no significant damage resulted. That 7.9 tremor was the most powerful quake in the world that year.

The Sumatra 2004 quake that produce the calamitous Indian Ocean tsunami is rated at something in excess of Richter 9.0. The Richter scale measures physical energy release, and is logarithmic. A 9.0 quake is ten times more powerful than an 8.0 quake, a hundred times more powerful than a 7.0. You just had a 6.3.
Yes, that's all very true. However, a 6.3 km earthquake only 5 kms beneath the surface can do just as much (or more) damage as a 7.3 or even an 8.3 centered a lot deeper. And an earthquake located just outside a city will be a lot more damaging than one that strikes a sparsely populated area.

The earthquake Christchurch had back in September was of a similar magnitude (7.1) as the one in Haiti (7.0), but nowhere near as damaging (property or lifewise) as Haiti's thanks to better infrastructure and the fact it struck while most were asleep. It was also situated 40 kms outside of the city, whereas this one is centered right in Lyttelton, one of Christchurch's suburbs, and happened during the day. There has already been a lot more significant damage from this quake than the last.

Interestingly, prior to September's earthquake, the faultline in question wasn't even known. The last big quake to hit the Canterbury area was back in 1888, and wasn't near Christchurch. All the major known faultlines run along the opposite coast and through northern Canterbury, well above Christchurch city.

Anyway, regardless of the cold facts of the matter, people in the city have lost loved ones, or are anxiously awaiting news of loved ones trapped. On top of that, many who were just beginning to get back on their feet after the last earthquake have been hit badly again.

Really, the size on the Richter scale of the quake is irrelevant. What the people of Christchurch are suffering through, on the other hand, is much more relevant.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
a 6.3 km earthquake only 5 kms beneath the surface can do just as much (or more) damage as a 7.3 or even an 8.3 centered a lot deeper. And an earthquake located just outside a city will be a lot more damaging than one that strikes a sparsely populated area.

All very true. A lot of things other than pure energy release go into the effects an earthquake will have on people and infrastructure. The really bad scenario is a huge quake with a shallow focus, which is what the Sumatra event was.

I'm a geologist, by the way, and coincidentally just finished an earthquake unit in my university Physical Geology class this past week, where we went over all this stuff.

Now I have to grade an exam. Pray for me.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score

You said you are a geology major, so I'm assuming you realise a 6.3 5kms deep, with an epicentre situated just outside the CBD (a district called Lyttleton) is a good shake.

Christchurch is a very old city, and the Canterbury are has not been very seismically active on a major scale since large settlements were founded in NZ. It is as far from the Alpine Fault as it is possible to be in the South Island, and they are fortunate there has been nothing before this. So unlike Wellington or the Hawkes Bay, Christchurch has sod all protection against earthquakes.

I'm getting the impression (correct me if I am wrong) you don't think this is big news, or very important. While this may not be big news for you in America, it is gaining huge attention in the Oceania region.

EDIT: Nevermind, read your post again and I've misinterpreted you. Apologies.:)

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Been watching footage on Prime News. The devastation is immense.

There are a lot of areas around Christchurch who haven't yet been heard from because of disruptions to communication. Lyttelton, where the quake centered, is one of those. So far the coverage has focused on the city center.

Sizeable aftershocks continue to hit regularly.

Thankfully, the hospital has reopened, and a medical base has been set up in the city center. Hopefully they can cope.

On a personal note, while i live in Auckland, i have several close friends in Christchurch. I've been able to get in touch with most of them, and they're alive and unhurt. I hope that continues. Still, i'm feeling very upset for those down there and around the country who haven't fared so well.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
I have a suspicion Lyttelton is flattened. Have we got any footage of it yet?

The CBD was always going to come down. Too many old buildings. It's a miracle the cathedral survived the last quake.

I hope everyone alive is found. My friend from Christchurch has located all his family and friends bar one, which is good news. Great to hear your friends are all right Izz.

I can't wait to get to class next week and study the quake.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
The death toll is currently estimated to be around 65.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
It will only go up as well. Very few made it out of the touristy places like the cathedral from what I hear, and those office buildings that went down had several hundred people each.

:(

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
correct me if I am wrong) you don't think this is big news, or very important.
Please stand corrected. I by no means wanted to convey this impression, and sorry if it got taken that way. What I was trying to point out was the possibility, given two big shakes inside of a year, that this might not be the end of it, or even the most severe. In fact, it is bothersome to me that the region has not had something like this for quite a while. That's not a good sign. I haven't researched the immediate fault situation for this event, but NZ is most certainly in a place where really big stuff can occur. And it's getting significant news attention here, be assured of that. Much as did the eastern Australian floods and Queensland cyclone a few weeks ago.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Please stand corrected. I by no means wanted to convey this impression, and sorry if it got taken that way. What I was trying to point out was the possibility, given two big shakes inside of a year, that this might not be the end of it, or even the most severe. In fact, it is bothersome to me that the region has not had something like this for quite a while. That's not a good sign. I haven't researched the immediate fault situation for this event, but NZ is most certainly in a place where really big stuff can occur. And it's getting significant news attention here, be assured of that. Much as did the eastern Australian floods and Queensland cyclone a few weeks ago.

I apologise. I probably am inclined to jump on the defensive at the moment, and I read your post wrong first time through. Handshake?:)

Yeah, the fault near Christchurch (the original one) wasn't known about, and since the original earthquake struck seismic activity has been very active. A geologist has come out and confirmed this is a new fault, unrelated to the Darfield fault, which makes sense considering lightning did not strike twice in Darfield. They're still analysing the data of what has occurred.

Good news from a snippet I heard earlier is emergency crews have cleared their way into Lyttelton. No reports yet but I don't think it will be pretty. It is a small town of roughly 3000 people 12 km from Christchurch city, and it is on the coast, which is very bad but there are no tsunami warnings yet.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
If there is a positive to this, it is Christchurch will catch up with the rest of NZ and put some heavy duty building rules in place. In Wellington there is some cool stuff under the floors, and it will be needed one day when the inevitable happens.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I was kind of surprised how many unreinforced masonry structures you guys had from the pictures. I'm guessing it's because a lot of christchurch is relatively old.

I'm not sure what the building code requirements are in New Zealand, but if some of those buildings that collapsed like they did, were new construction, I hope your government moves to rectify the situation quickly. I know for a fact that you guys are ridiculously geologically active (I've been to the North Island), and it's only a matter of time before an even larger quake hits a more populated location (e.g. auckland).

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
I was kind of surprised how many unreinforced masonry structures you guys had from the pictures. I'm guessing it's because a lot of christchurch is relatively old.

I'm not sure what the building code requirements are in New Zealand, but if some of those buildings that collapsed like they did, were new construction, I hope your government moves to rectify the situation quickly. I know for a fact that you guys are ridiculously geologically active (I've been to the North Island), and it's only a matter of time before an even larger quake hits a more populated location (e.g. auckland).

The North Island is really up with the play with regards to buildings that can resist earthquakes, volcanic ash etc. But as you said, the Christchurch CBD is very old. There has been sod all geological activity in the eastern South Island since European colonization.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, on another forum we were waiting all afternoon for news of fellow posters. One guy had his roof cave in and another narrowly escaped a crushed leg. Freaky stuff.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
No news of my 94 year old mother who is in a retirement home. Have no information as to whether that part of the town has suffered outright damage but I'm terrified she might have fallen over or tumbled out of bed. All of the family are very anxious - she is our family treasure

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
No news of my 94 year old mother who is in a retirement home. Have no information as to whether that part of the town has suffered outright damage but I'm terrified she might have fallen over or tumbled out of bed. All of the family are very anxious - she is our family treasure
:( here's hoping for the best, julie.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the BBC website news - pictures of terrible devastation.

Julie hope your mother is safe and well. hug

RobotNinja

Lunchables!
Registered
Reaction score
Me too Julie, hope your mum is okay.

I'm feeling rather hopeless here in France. My mum lives in Christchurch, she and her partner are fine, thank goodness, but I still haven't heard any news about another friend who works in the CBD.

I have that horrible hollow feeling at the moment.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

Hope those trapped are rescued safely and our NZ members are okay.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to all who have loved ones in NZ. :( Saw this on BBC America this morning - horrible, just horrible.

Nancy

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
It's just terrible. Volcanic eruption of Mt. Etna. Then one in the Phillipines, followed closely by the NZ earthquake. Seems like it's just one disaster after another.

NoGuessing - you need to move, please.