Agents who rep books with QLTBAG protagonists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I wonder if anyone's familiar with specific agents who are known to represent books with QLTBAG protagonists or have done so in the past. I'm not talking books that are specifically about QLTBAG issues, necessarily, just books with main characters who happen to be.

Deleted member 42

Pretty much any agent who isn't repping to the Christian market.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
agentquery.com has Fiction--Gay and Lesbian as a category, that brings up a list of agents interested in that genre.

The Otter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

And yeah, I did see that "gay and lesbian" was a category on agentquery, but I took that to mean gay and lesbian fiction as a genre...which might not include, say, a sci-fi novel which happened to have a gay protagonist.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like an agent eager to rep a "Gay and Lesbian" novel would also be pleased to rep a novel that "happens to have a gay protagonist", given that they like both The Gays, and Novels.

The Otter

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like an agent eager to rep a "Gay and Lesbian" novel would also be pleased to rep a novel that "happens to have a gay protagonist", given that they like both The Gays, and Novels.

Yeah, but I guess I'm thinking of the agents who don't have "gay and lesbian" as one of their categories (which is a majority of agents.) I mean, if I've already sent queries to the handful of agents who have both "science fiction" and "gay and lesbian" as categories. I don't know. Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
In my brief exploration of Agent Query a while back, I found that not all agents who I'd seen stating an interest in LGBT fiction were in the "Fiction -- Gay and Lesbian" category anyway. (Colleen Lindsay was one, when she was an agent.) I think Medievalist's suggestion to query every agent who seems suitable for your project and isn't repping Christian lit is a good one.

Cheers.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, but I guess I'm thinking of the agents who don't have "gay and lesbian" as one of their categories (which is a majority of agents.) I mean, if I've already sent queries to the handful of agents who have both "science fiction" and "gay and lesbian" as categories. I don't know. Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

GLBT or gay and lesbian as lit means much more than having queer characters.

That said, it's a guide that should your genre otherwise fit their interests, they won't reject it for fear of teh gay.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
It might be worthwhile reading through the blogs or tweetstreams of agents you are considering, to see if they have any problems with gay and lesbian material - plus you get to learn a bit more about the people you will be sending your work to.

Status
Not open for further replies.