Not open for further replies.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
http://www.storiesofstrength.com

Still waiting on the banners/buttons, and there are a couple more pages left to add, but there you go. It's a fairly minimalist design to keep with the book cover - lots of red, black and greys. In case you're wondering, I started several flashier ones, but none of them felt all that comfortable - too over-complicated, too heavy, or looking like we were trying to show off rather than sell a charity book (too much glitz can really go against that). Instead we went with this one, that tries to put much more emphasis on the words and the jacket design than being a fancy website with CSS effects and gratuitious flourishes.

(Note: The Coming Soon bit on the right - a quickly generated image - is just a placeholder until. I'm going to replace it when I've generated up something that will fit in the interim, until we have a link to Lulu's shop or wherever else, but that didn't seem worth holding up the whole deployment for)

I've tested with IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari - any glitches or error messages, let me know, rather than keeping them to yourself.

NOTE: If you have a website that hasn't been flagged up in Meet The Contributors, it's an oversight - let us know and we'll link you up.

Last edited:

Rose colored glasses

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful job, Richard! I will add the link to my website.

Mine isn't linked on the SoS site, so if you'd like to add it - I'm Deborah Rose in the first section, Strength of Spirit. My web addy is http://www.deborahrose.net

Thanks!

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
awatkins said:
Wonderful job! The site is very clean, easy/fast loading, tasteful. Thanks, Richard! :)

Yeah, cheers to whoever decided to make red the big bright colour ;-) It's the single nastiest to work with on the web, if you're using JPEGs. Still, a good excuse to break out the PNGs!

Last edited:

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I'm so impressed

Amazing...I'm sitting here all weepy.

And would you believe that I just found this sub-forum this morning?

Lisa, the copy editor

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice indeed, Richard! FYI, I'm viewing it on a fourth tab in Firefox on an old Pentium 233 running Win98SE, over a corporate ADSL link, and it popped up quickly and cleanly with no errors of any kind.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Heh. There's another good thing about making a mostly white site - it showcased just how much I need to buy some screen-wipes for my monitors ;-)

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Good Word said:
Amazing...I'm sitting here all weepy.

And would you believe that I just found this sub-forum this morning?

Lisa, the copy editor

Lisa darling........... I am sooooooo worried about you....
:ROFL:

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Looks great Richard :Clap:

One quick thought--on the contributor page, in the manuscript editors area and in the contents area, it wasn't clear to me why some of the names are in red and others are not. (I was in error here--didn't get it before, bit of brain fog. Figured it out now, and I am even more impressed with what a great job Richard has done with this elegant page)

It might be my previous life as a teacher sneaking in, but this is the one section of the site where the color red is not working for me. I'm perceiving the red names as errors on the page--as if I'm looking at a copy editor's manuscript markups. (I''m getting used to the red names--go figure never mind :gone: )

Last edited:

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Oh Richard--it looks fantastic! Thank you for such a wonderful and beautiful job!

By the way, I had Jenna change my name in the final draft, and I'll be in there as:

Julia Temlyn Prindle

I'm in the Strength of Faith section, and my story is entitled "A Walk in the Clouds."

Also, if you want to add a link to my website with my name, it is http://www.temlynwriting.com

Thanks so much!

Robert Rohloff

Registered
Reaction score
Great job Richard on the website. Makes a person proud to be a part of this wonderful project.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is getting better al the time

janetr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EyesofaSecret.com
The website is fantastic. I continue to be amazed at the talent and efforts of all of the absolutewrite members.

My weblink is www.janetross-pilla.name. if you could hook me up, that would be wonderful! My stories are The Organ Man and Our Faces Are Not Our Own.

Thank you so much and thank you to all here at absolutewrite!

Janet Ross-Pilla

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
One quick thought--on the contributor page, in the manuscript editors area and in the contents area, it wasn't clear to me why some of the names are in red and others are not.

They're hyperlinks to peoples' websites. A little chunky for my liking, but thin red can be a bit hard to read.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with "chunky?"
confused.gif

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
What's wrong with "chunky?"
confused.gif

Oh chunky.... nothing is wrong with you.....
maybe Richard just needs stronger glasses... so he can see just how cute and sexy you are...
:)

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
For those of us who don't have web sites of our own, would it be ok to have a mailto:address@web type link instead?

I'd still be should I / shouldn't I about it, but others without websites might love that opportunity, and me too if I can get the hide behind the curtain mentality out of the system.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I don't think so, no. Mailto addresses are confusing when scattered in the middle of actual hyperlinks. If you really want to, you can set up a blog or a Backpack page or something else rather than a whole site, and we'll link to that, but not straight addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.