PDA

View Full Version : Website's live

Richard
10-14-2005, 08:01 PM
http://www.storiesofstrength.com

Still waiting on the banners/buttons, and there are a couple more pages left to add, but there you go. It's a fairly minimalist design to keep with the book cover - lots of red, black and greys. In case you're wondering, I started several flashier ones, but none of them felt all that comfortable - too over-complicated, too heavy, or looking like we were trying to show off rather than sell a charity book (too much glitz can really go against that). Instead we went with this one, that tries to put much more emphasis on the words and the jacket design than being a fancy website with CSS effects and gratuitious flourishes.

(Note: The Coming Soon bit on the right - a quickly generated image - is just a placeholder until. I'm going to replace it when I've generated up something that will fit in the interim, until we have a link to Lulu's shop or wherever else, but that didn't seem worth holding up the whole deployment for)

I've tested with IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari - any glitches or error messages, let me know, rather than keeping them to yourself.

NOTE: If you have a website that hasn't been flagged up in Meet The Contributors, it's an oversight - let us know and we'll link you up.

awatkins
10-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Wonderful job! The site is very clean, easy/fast loading, tasteful. Thanks, Richard! :)

Rose colored glasses
10-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Wonderful job, Richard! I will add the link to my website.

Mine isn't linked on the SoS site, so if you'd like to add it - I'm Deborah Rose in the first section, Strength of Spirit. My web addy is http://www.deborahrose.net

Thanks!

Richard
10-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Wonderful job! The site is very clean, easy/fast loading, tasteful. Thanks, Richard! :)

Yeah, cheers to whoever decided to make red the big bright colour ;-) It's the single nastiest to work with on the web, if you're using JPEGs. Still, a good excuse to break out the PNGs!

Good Word
10-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Amazing...I'm sitting here all weepy.

And would you believe that I just found this sub-forum this morning?

Lisa, the copy editor

CharmianChristie
10-14-2005, 08:22 PM
This looks great Richard. Thanks for all your hard work on the site. I'm very impressed and will link my site to it asap!

Charmian

ChunkyC
10-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Very nice indeed, Richard! FYI, I'm viewing it on a fourth tab in Firefox on an old Pentium 233 running Win98SE, over a corporate ADSL link, and it popped up quickly and cleanly with no errors of any kind.

Richard
10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Heh. There's another good thing about making a mostly white site - it showcased just how much I need to buy some screen-wipes for my monitors ;-)

biotales
10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Amazing...I'm sitting here all weepy.

And would you believe that I just found this sub-forum this morning?

Lisa, the copy editor

Lisa darling........... I am sooooooo worried about you....
:ROFL:

Vanessa
10-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Looks Really Good Richard

maestrowork
10-14-2005, 08:45 PM
WTG, Richard. The site looks fantastic. Clean. Simple. Touching!

JAlpha
10-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Looks great Richard :Clap:

One quick thought--on the contributor page, in the manuscript editors area and in the contents area, it wasn't clear to me why some of the names are in red and others are not. (I was in error here--didn't get it before, bit of brain fog. Figured it out now, and I am even more impressed with what a great job Richard has done with this elegant page)

It might be my previous life as a teacher sneaking in, but this is the one section of the site where the color red is not working for me. I'm perceiving the red names as errors on the page--as if I'm looking at a copy editor's manuscript markups. (I''m getting used to the red names--go figure never mind :gone: )

TemlynWriting
10-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh Richard--it looks fantastic! Thank you for such a wonderful and beautiful job!

By the way, I had Jenna change my name in the final draft, and I'll be in there as:

Julia Temlyn Prindle

I'm in the Strength of Faith section, and my story is entitled "A Walk in the Clouds."

Also, if you want to add a link to my website with my name, it is http://www.temlynwriting.com

Thanks so much!

Robert Rohloff
10-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Great job Richard on the website. Makes a person proud to be a part of this wonderful project.

rtilryarms
10-14-2005, 09:01 PM
This is getting better al the time

janetr
10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
The website is fantastic. I continue to be amazed at the talent and efforts of all of the absolutewrite members.

My weblink is www.janetross-pilla.name. if you could hook me up, that would be wonderful! My stories are The Organ Man and Our Faces Are Not Our Own.

Thank you so much and thank you to all here at absolutewrite!

Janet Ross-Pilla

Richard
10-14-2005, 09:03 PM
One quick thought--on the contributor page, in the manuscript editors area and in the contents area, it wasn't clear to me why some of the names are in red and others are not.

They're hyperlinks to peoples' websites. A little chunky for my liking, but thin red can be a bit hard to read.

ChunkyC
10-14-2005, 09:20 PM
What's wrong with "chunky?" http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

biotales
10-14-2005, 09:30 PM
What's wrong with "chunky?" http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Oh chunky.... nothing is wrong with you.....
maybe Richard just needs stronger glasses... so he can see just how cute and sexy you are...
:)

Jean Marie
10-14-2005, 11:38 PM
An absolutely outstanding job Richardhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gif WOWhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

littleblackdog
10-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for adding my link, Richard. This site is great!

Robin Bayne
10-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Yes, thanks for all the hard work in making the site look great! I will get the link up on my blog right away (and pester the dh to also add it to my main site : )

Alphabet
10-15-2005, 01:06 AM
For those of us who don't have web sites of our own, would it be ok to have a mailto:address@web (address@web) type link instead?

I'd still be should I / shouldn't I about it, but others without websites might love that opportunity, and me too if I can get the hide behind the curtain mentality out of the system.

Richard
10-15-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't think so, no. Mailto addresses are confusing when scattered in the middle of actual hyperlinks. If you really want to, you can set up a blog or a Backpack page or something else rather than a whole site, and we'll link to that, but not straight addresses.

Sully
10-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Richard,

Very impressive!

By the way, my aunt's married name was Cobbett. She lives in Somerset. Are you any relation to Fred Cobbett from Gosport?

Mary

Richard
10-15-2005, 01:24 AM
I have no idea. You'd have to ask my (long dead) grandfather - he was the resident family tree follower. William Cobbett's on a branch somewhere though, so you might be able to backtrack from there.

aruna
10-15-2005, 01:28 AM
First results!

I sent my first "info-mail" to ONE friend (Us based) and this is her response:

I wish the book were available NOW! I have organized a golf tournament/dinner which will take place this coming Sunday! There will be hundreds there. If I had a book I could display it, along with whatever publicity literature I could get my hands on, to try to sell 100 copies or so!!!! Rats! What is the cost of the book? What do you think I could do in lieu of having these materials? My thought is to print out what is on the site, make copies and place them at each dinner setting. Did I miss it or is there something which directs people to where they can buy the book on-line? Unfortunately, there are lots of older folks down here who do not access the internet. Please give me some thoughts as to how to "push" sales. People down here are very generous and they are going to be at a fundraiser for that very purpose - and in a giving mood!

So, what to do? Any suggestions?

Sully
10-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Hey Richard,

I'm not really doing any family history research. My aunt's visiting from England right now and when I told her there was a Richard Cobbett involved with the book she said there is a cousin named Richard Cobbett on her ex-husbands side of the family. Fred is this other Richard Cobbett's father.

Mary

sthrnwriter
10-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Wow! Love the website. You did a great job, Richard. :Clap:

Richard
10-15-2005, 02:14 AM
did I miss it or is there something which directs people to where they can buy the book on-line?

Unfortunately, no, it's not available yet. As soon as the Lulu page becomes active, there'll be a nice prominent link on the top-right of every page.

Richard
10-15-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm not really doing any family history research. My aunt's visiting from England right now and when I told her there was a Richard Cobbett involved with the book she said there is a cousin named Richard Cobbett on her ex-husbands side of the family. Fred is this other Richard Cobbett's father.

Different guy. However, name-wise, I believe there was also a journalist called Richard Cobbett who knew Dickens.

Ken Schneider
10-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Richard, The site looks great.

Thanks for linking me up so quick.
What about that bike? LOL.
Ken

Richard
10-15-2005, 02:26 AM
I'm having it couriered over to you.

Unfortunately, the courier is riding the bike to get to you.

And it's a Raleigh Chopper.

It should be with you some time in 2196.

September skies
10-15-2005, 03:25 AM
:Clap: Outstanding job Richard. It's really great. I saw it this morning at 8:30 PST, but no thread for it yet, so I complimented you on another thread.

It's very impressive.

Ken Schneider
10-15-2005, 04:33 AM
I'm having it couriered over to you.

Unfortunately, the courier is riding the bike to get to you.

And it's a Raleigh Chopper.

It should be with you some time in 2196.

Excellent, I will bequeath it to my great-great-great-great- Grandson.

Kim Gogo
10-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Thank you for making such a lovely website, Richard! Truly impressive!!

kim

AdamH
10-15-2005, 05:56 AM
You outdid yourself, Richard! Awesome job! :Hail: :Hail: I bow to your HTML skills.

LieselGarmach
10-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Very nice, Richard. Thank you for the hours you spent on this.

JennaGlatzer
10-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Richard already knows this, but I think it's faboo. Thanks so much, Richard! Aruna, I have no good suggestions, unfortunately. Would be great if she'd hand out info about it-- or she could ask people to put their e-mail addresses on a list, and I (or you) could send them all an e-mail once the book is ready to order. That's so cool that she's enthusiastic about it! Great to hear.

aruna
10-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Jenna, I had the idea of creating an order-form for people with no internet connection, which they can fill out and send to - Lulu? Along with their cheque, when the book becomes available, or even in advance... by snail mail, of course. Is that a good idea or not?

mrs75
10-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Wonderful job, Richard! :Clap:

Gillian
10-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Excellent website. What I like is the fast download- slow sites are not as accessible to dial-up users, whihc is important.

You have a choice for a hyperlink for me, either a webpage (http://www.gillianpolack.com ) or my blog (http://www.livejournal.com/users/gillpolack). I will be blogging the book, so maybe link to my webpage (I think I reasoned that out, but I am not sure how).

Gillian

Richard
10-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Linked.

MacAllister
10-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Wow--the website rocks! Nice job, Richard.

ChunkyC
10-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Jenna, I had the idea of creating an order-form for people with no internet connection, which they can fill out and send to - Lulu? Along with their cheque, when the book becomes available, or even in advance... by snail mail, of course. Is that a good idea or not?
Here's the info on 'how to buy' from the pertinent Lulu page (http://www.lulu.com/help/node/view/15#payment):
What forms of payment does Lulu accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and PayPal. We accept debit and check cards, as long as they are connected with one of the major credit card companies listed above. If you're paying with a debit or check card, enter it as if it were a regular credit card.

We do not accept personal checks or money orders.

NOTE: If you pay by eCheck on PayPal (directly from a bank account), it will take 3-4 days for your eCheck to clear and the status of your account to show Paid.

All prices on Lulu are listed in US dollars (USD). All financial transactions are in USD. For international purchases, your credit card company will convert from your currency to USD. The amount you pay is based on that day's exchange rate.
The way it looks, someone without Internet access will have to either use someone else's computer; be it a friend's, at a library or Internet Cafe; or order through a bookstore.

This is one of those scenarios where it could be good to talk to public 'net access places to see if they'd help make it easy for folks who want to order SoS directly from Lulu but don't have their own Internet access. Perhaps they'd be willing to donate 15 minutes of computer time to people who want to place an order. They'd probably want to monitor the person to be sure that they are actually using their computer to order our book, but on the other hand, I don't see a big scam emerging where hordes of people make false claims of ordering SoS to steal a few minutes of 'net access from a library.

aruna
10-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks, Chunky. That's useful. Perhaps people could order through Marty (that's her name), who could place a bulk order through her own internet access... do you think that might work, if she is willing?

MartyMagee
10-15-2005, 09:06 PM
My first post on your wonderful website!

I plan to address the several hundred people attending the dinner tomorrow evening to let them know of the book. I can then take orders and payment and, hopefully, buy in BULK through "LuLu". I'll also ask the attendees to tell their friends about it and they, in turn, can order through me as well. If there are no privacy issues involved (do let me know) I will create literature hyping the book, if there is none available on the web, and place it in agreeable public places throughout the area. I will list the e-mail, snail mail and telephone number (if one exists) where the book(s) can be ordered. I will need to know the price, including S&H, ASAP for my presentation tomorrow. Is this agreeable? Is there anything else I can do to help? I wish I had known of the project earlier in order to offer something for inclusion, if found worthy. I'm on board now, however!

Step in without thought
To offer comfort and hope
Hands are for holding

I'm delighted to be here! Thank you.

Marty

ChunkyC
10-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi Marty.

Nice to see you, and thank you so much for wanting to help.

The final price and ordering information has not been set yet, nor has a firm release date, and there is still a final change to be made to the cover art. As far as creating literature hyping the book, we already have a team working on posters, flyers, bookmarks, etc., but they too cannot be completed without the other information.

With all that still up in the air, it'll be tough to take orders. It is unfortunate that these things won't be ready in time for your event. However, you could take contact info from people and then let them know once everything is ready, which shouldn't be too long. We are still hopeful of making our target of having the book ready for purchase by November first.

Again, welcome and thanks for your enthusiasm!

KimJo
10-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Incredible site, Richard!

My link is http://joramsey.tripod.com , which I'm off to now to add the Stories of Strength link :)

aruna
10-15-2005, 10:51 PM
My first post on your wonderful website!

I'm delighted to be here! Thank you.

Marty

Hi Marty! SO glad to have you on board, and I must apologize for not alerting you earlier. Jump in and look around!

awatkins
10-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Welcome, Marty! :)

jdkiggins
10-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Absolutely beautiful, Richard. Wonderful job.

You're the man! :Clap: :Clap:

aka eraser
10-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Kudos Richard! :Thumbs:

Cabria
10-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Awesome Richard! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

JennaGlatzer
10-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Marty! Thank you so much for your tremendous support-- that's fantastic. I'm so sorry I couldn't get you the info fast enough for this weekend. :( It'll probably be another week before I have anything definitive about how to take orders.

Moondancer
10-18-2005, 03:48 AM
:Clap: :Hail: Great job, Richard.

biotales
10-18-2005, 03:51 AM
:Clap: :Hail: Great job, Richard.
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Ms... Moondancer.... how come you have a cold and are out of your bed..... hummmmmmmmmmm

Moondancer
10-18-2005, 05:18 AM
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Ms... Moondancer.... how come you have a cold and are out of your bed..... hummmmmmmmmmm

Because somebody called and reminded me I had to go refill my meds and and and ...

biotales
10-18-2005, 05:24 AM
Because somebody called and reminded me I had to go refill my meds and and and ...
PHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....
are you picking on me.... I know Jenna ya know.....

PattiTheWicked
10-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Richard, this absolutely fantastic. Excellent work. If you wouldn't mind adding some linkage to my site, I'd appreciate it -- I'm Patti Wigington, in the Role Models of Strength (x 2) category, and my website is www.pattiwigington.com. Thanks!!

Moondancer
10-18-2005, 02:19 PM
PHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....
are you picking on me.... I know Jenna ya know.....

Would I do that? :rolleyes: Unh uh, not me... I'm innocent, I tell ya....

MartyMagee
10-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks to all who have welcomed me. I look forward to "meeting" you all. I will await any information regarding the publicity lit so that I can move things along. My immediate concern is that we here in Florida are now awaiting Hurricane Wilma and if there is much damage done then anything that smacks of Katrina may no longer be the first relief effort that people here will be willing to support. Please keep me informed. E-mail would be best for the sake of expediency.
Thanks.
Marty

ChunkyC
10-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Wilma's another *&%#$

Hang in there, all of you who have been and might yet be in her path.

rtilryarms
10-23-2005, 02:33 AM
comin' right at me

Vanessa
10-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Richard, I've saved all of the PDF goodies you've posted on the site. I will be going to Kinko's tomorrow to print several book marks and posters. I will start the buzz here in Detroit. Great job everyone!