Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just nosy, but I'd be interested in knowing what my fellow writers are reading and what they think of it.

I am no longer reading John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, despite people whose tastes seem similar to mine insisting they love this book, that it's in their all-time top ten, that it moved them, that it changed them. I've started it twice and stalled out less than a quarter of the way in both times.

I've set Tours of the Black Clock by Steve Erickson next to the chair I like to read in, but I haven't even cracked it open yet.

Maryn, regretting that the room with the fireplace doesn't have adequate light for reading

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Der Wille zur Macht
By Friedrich Nietzsche

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a quarter of the way into The Chronicles of Narnia. It's a collection of all seven books. I didn't read them as a child, so I'm doing it now. I'm also reading Terry Pratchett's Sourcery and have been for about three months. Its good, but I keep getting sidetracked with other books and other things to do. Next on my list is some Terry Goodkind books and Turn of the Screw (see Lost hatch spoilers thread, if you're curious as to why).

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Orson Scott Card's Magic Street. Really liked it--reminded me a bit of some of Stephen King's work. But I almost anything OSC has written, actually.

I LOVED A Prayer for Owen Meany! But I know so many people, Maryn, who had the same reaction to the book. I think Owen's speaking in all caps was really distracting for me, at first.

And I've been sneaking some peeks at the SoS proof. Had to look up at least some of the stories/essays/poems. I don't think I will read it all, though, until I get the book in my grubby hands--I actually hate reading a book over the computer screen. Even the few times I've bought ebooks, I've printed them out before reading them. Call me old fashioned, I guess.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I just finished "Light on the Snow" by Anita Shreve. I don't think it was as good as her other books. Maybe it would do well classified as "Young Adults." I read everything she does as "Weight of Water" tops my all time favorites list. Next I have a new one by the author of "Into the Forest." That was an exceptional book.

I have a double stack of 'to be read' books, waiting for winter snows. I recently cut it back, but it still won't stand alone.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
About 100 pages into Diana Gabaldon's 1000 page "A Breathe of Snow and Ashes." It's the 6th book in her time travel novel series, this one taking place in America at the start of the Revolution.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading America: Who Really Pays The Taxes? by Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele for background information--until these guys started to ramble.

Tiaga

Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Diplomacy- Henry Kissinger
Just Finished "The Clash of Fundamentalisms" by Tariq Ali

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
I'm readin' Donald Ritchie's The Japan Journals, enjoying Morrison's Tar Baby, trying to finish The Lord of the Rings trilogy and am also struggling with Tanizaki's Tadekuu Mushi in Japanese (English: Some Prefer Nettles).

I usually try to stick to just one book at a time, but somehow I fell into four, which means I'll never finish any of them.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
As "homework" for NaNoWriMo, since I rarely read novels and haven't ever written one, I went to Long's Drugstore and perused the bookshelves. I just finished Janet Evanovich's "Metro Girl." It was kinda like eating potato chips. It's not really doing anything good for you, but can't stop. And since I've never read her, and it seems like she's really kind of a historical figure unto herself, I bought a Danielle Steele book too. Don't know what it's called, and haven't quite managed to make myself crack it open. I apologize if you love these books.

I'm also always reading The New Yorker. I read just about every word in every issue, and it's weekly, so that keeps me busy.

And I was reading "Hop on Pop," by Dr. Seuss aloud, but last night my little girl picked it up and started reading it to me! Another milestone. Sigh.

Last edited:

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Spin By Robert Charles Wilson. Now, I'm sort of in between books. But I might check out one of the ones above me for my next adventure.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
I brought a couple of books with me while I'm in France, and finished them waaay too soon. I'll have to pick up a few more when I'm home in November for part two of my French adventure, so thanks for the above suggestions ;)

I just finished:
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Alice's Adventures in Wonderlandby Lewis Carroll (for about the trillionth time)

Currently working on:
The Badass Girl's Guide to Poker by Toby Leah Bochan

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I just finished "The Mummy Congress" by Heather Pringle (different from my usual reading material but I liked it); and "Contagion" by Robin Cook (junk food reading but OK for the hot tub).

I'm trying to slog through "Michaelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling". It's interesting but I read 20 or 30 pages, then I have to put it down and read something else. I'm about to start "Flyboys" by James Bradley.

My interests are varied and I'm frequently at the mercy of my friends-that-read, since often the only thing new to read in the house is something that they have given to me (i.e. "Contagion").

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
The Bourne identity Robert Ludlum
Don't Stop The Carnival Herman Wouk

I am also reading The Chronicles of Narnia to the fam.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Falling Angel - William Hjortsberg

The original novel from which "Angel Heart" was made.

Deeper than the movie, a brilliantly conceived central character, a tight plot.... this is a truly great book for anybody that likes noir detective stories with more than a tinge of horror

Willie
http://www.willie.meikle.btinternet.co.uk

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Paprika, good for you for trying something new. Even if you don't like them, you've given them a try, and that's more open-mindedness than some can claim. :) I adore Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, and also enjoyed Metro Girl. Yes, they are like potato chips - such an yummy treat. (Not a huge Danielle Steele fan, though, although I think she's a pretty amazing woman. I read a true account she wrote about her son, who battled mental illness and eventually, after several attemps, succeeded in committing suicide. I have to give her a hel* of a lot of credit for launching and maintaining a huge writing career while dealing with that in her personal life. It was a very moving book.)

I just read Susan Elizabeth Phillip's Ain't She Sweet, which I very much enjoyed, and also The Secret Life of Bees, which was okay. It wasn't something I thought was absolutely fabulous, but I certainly didn't want to hurl it at the wall. It kept me engaged in the characters, which is one my most important criteria for judging a book. (Yes, I'm a potato chip reader. <G>)

Susan G.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Well, I failed with the Danielle Steele. I was only on page 7, but I'd already reached my limit of reminders that this is the quiet, serious one and this is the frivolous, flirty one. And my limit is not unreasonably low. I think if she'd posted it in SYW first, it'd be a better book today.

(Susan, I love the title/subtitle of the book in your signature!)

Status
Not open for further replies.