Now that the weather is changing . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite drink when the weather turns chilly? (Or for the Aussies among us, warmer?) I'm not much of a coffee drinker (I know, I must not be a real writer, right?) but when the weather gets chilly, I have a few drinks I love to fix:

hot chocolate w/ a splash of peppermint Schnapps--tastes like you're drinking a Peppermint Pattie!

Anyone else have a hot or cold drink recipe to share?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hot tea. Hot chocolate. A warm glass of brandy. And soup. This is a jolly season for soup -- Italian Wedding is currently my favorite.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I love hot cider with a cinnamon stick. I'm still a coffee drinker, but I tend to drink more tea in the winter.... mmmm, tea.

Chili with rice or Mushroom soup are really yummy in the winter.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure the problem with Turkish Bride soup is that they fight back... (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

I'm a coffee drinker in the morning, but I sock down tea all day in winter, especially this coming winter with heating costs expected to rise so much. Cheaper to boil a little water than heat the whole house when I'm the only one home some of the time.

Our daughter turned me on to various flavored teas, like raspberry, lemon, and cinnamon. I'd been ho-hum about tea until then. Now I like it!

Maryn, tea-totaller (sorry again!)

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
elisadasilva said:
What is Turkish bride soup? Got a recipe?

google it. i'll probably be putting a detailed guide to making it on my forum next week - i'll PM you when its up.
its a lovely soup - so long as you get the balance right.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Abuelita Loca
Mexican Hot Chocolate for Grown-Ups

Heat 2 cups milk in the microwave oven until steaming but not boiling. While the milk heats, break a whole Abuelita or Ibarra Mexican chocolate tablet along its score lines into a glass blender jar. Grind the chocolate to a powder, then add 2 ounces Kahlua or Kimura coffee liqueuer and the heated milk. Frappe for about a minute, then pour into tall heat-resistant mugs and top with real whipped cream (none of that Cool-Whip crap!).

Oh, and omit the Kahlua if you're making this for the kids. :)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Abuelita Loca sounds yummy....

I drink coffee every day hot or cold, but in winter I enjoy tea, either black or herb. I like experimenting with the different varieties available. I also like adding stuff to my coffee, chocolate, kaluha, or nutmeg...

ahh, autumn. But it's still in the 80's around these parts.

Joe,
Abuelita or Ibarra Mexican chocolate tablet? Is that like bakers chocolate? Where do you obtain those? thx. :):Coffee:

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saritams8 said:
I love hot cider with a cinnamon stick.

My husband just bought some cider the other day, and we like to drink it hot, too. He prefers adding cinnamon drops to it, but an acceptable substitute is Cinnamon Schapps. (Hey, what's w/ the Schapps, Shwebb?)

When I lived on a commune in Canada, I was close friends w/ a woman who was perennially quitting coffee. She had the largest array of herbal teas I have ever seen! When I'd go to visit, she'd rattle off the choices like a waitress. But my favorite herbal tea would have to be chamomile.

Tiaga

Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:
When I lived on a commune in Canada,

Aha a commune..ist I knew it!

1/4 Hot chocolate, 3/4 strong coffee and a ounce of Kaluha. Just for breakfast.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Rooibos tea. I gave up coffee and black tea but Rooibos tastes enough like black tea (even though it isn't) that I've managed not to go loco.

Oh, the "gave up" part wasn't based on some striving for cleaner living junk. My neurologist said, "coffee and black tea = inflamation and more pain".

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I like to sip Amaretto when it's cold outside, but only really good Amaretto. If it's too-too sweet, I don't care for it. My sister brought back a bottle for me from Italy and it is the best I've ever had.

I can't do tea, iced or hot, sweet or plain. I have no idea what the deal is, but I love the smell and I love the taste and as soon as it hits my stomach I turn 5 shades of green. It doesn't matter if it is camomile tea or plain old Liptons, although Lipton's is much worse on my stomach. One sip and I am an unhappy camper.

I drink coffee year round, but when it's cold outside, I like to add a splash of frangelico or Bailey's to it in the evenings.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Coffee. Even more than in the summer. That is alot of coffee. Oatmeal in the morning.
Carole, I caanot believe a good southern girl like you does not like sweet tea....it's a travesty.

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Pepsi gal, myself. I like to put it in the freezer until it turns slushy. So cold, it almost hurts . . . but it's a good, sweet pain.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
Coffee. Even more than in the summer. That is alot of coffee. Oatmeal in the morning.
That must be a neat trick, drinking oatmeal :D

Carole, I caanot believe a good southern girl like you does not like sweet tea....it's a travesty.
I know I know. I live witht eh shame of it every day. I like the taste of it. It just makes me want to hurl as soon as it hits my stomach. Hot or cold, sweet or unsweetened. eeeewie.

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmm. I love chai.

The first time I ever had any was when I was working as a home health aide after dropping out of college. I was assigned to take care of an elderly Hindu man who'd had back surgery and was in a body cast. After I finished my care with him, his family would beckon me downstairs for a cup of chai. Although there was a huge language barrier, I don't think I ever felt more welcome anywhere than I did in their kitchen. And I've never had chai that good.

These days, I cheat--I have a box of ready-mix liquid chai that I add to milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.