PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Race: Redemption Lap

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Are there fans here? This is my favorite reality show and the one I'd kill to do. (I'd maybe hurt someone to go on Jeopardy, and I'd ask nicely to try Survivor...)

This season, of course, is the return of runners up--but sadly not my own hometown (un)heroes, Dallas and Toni. I am rooting for the Cowboys. Anyone else? Predictions, hopes, derisions?

Smish
02-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Amazing Race used to be my favorite show. But then it started to get a bit old/repetitive. I may watch it. What time does it come on?

AyJay
02-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Johnny, my partner and I are huge AR fans (even submitted a really awful audition video years ago). We'll definitely watch it, but I haven't picked any caves yet since I've only caught a quick glimpse of the promo. Somehow, the cowboys annoyed me.:(

ceenindee
02-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Can't wait! Some of my favorite teams are back. I'll be cheering for the Goths, the sisters, and the Harlem Globe Trotters...but there's no one who really rubbed me the wrong way.

NCHammerhead
02-21-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm a huge fan, and although there are several teams I can root for, I'm hoping that Jet and Cord win -- they are definitely my favorites.. The last season sucked - I couldn't find anyone that I liked enough to root for, and I stopped watching halfway through.. Hopefully this season will make up for it

Smileycat
02-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi, Johnny. Looks like the cowboys are outta there, I'm afraid.

I could only catch part of it, so I'll watch the whole thing online when it becomes available.

I love AR.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Stupid Cord... Or Jet. I've never actually figured out which is which. They do show up in the commercials running in kangaroo outfits, so they must eventually decipher the flags... Maybe the father and son get eliminated when dad's knee goes out.

NCHammerhead
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
don't count out Jet and Cord yet -- dad's got knee problems, and there is another team that has to do both sides of a roadblock

I used to get them confused as well, but I remember that Jet has the "jet black" hair - probably an overused writing description but in this case it serves a useful purpose

Smileycat
02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Oohh. Well, I hope they make it. They're so American. :) I kept getting interrupted while it was on and missed a lot until near the end. I'm gonna watch it today online.

PAH13
02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I was really looking forward to the return of teams from past seasons, but I can't say I was ever really attached to any of the teams that returned. I think I'll probably be rooting for Flight Time and Big Easy though. They're pretty funny and a lot less annoying than some of the other teams (man I would love for Mallory to stop talking for just a little while).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I am always Amazed by how well Gary and Mallory do. I've supposed it is all her praying to the various saints.

Smileycat
02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Watched it online today. I liked the Palm Springs start with the windmills. Let's salute the cowboys!

Smileycat
02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I am always Amazed by how well Gary and Mallory do. I've supposed it is all her praying to the various saints.

lol

She acts like a little kid. But, she's with her dad, after all...

frimble3
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
So far, I'm liking them all, although I have a sneaking preference for any of the parent/child pairs.
As opposed to Survivor: Redemption Island, where I'm not liking any of them.

Smileycat
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
So far, I'm liking them all, although I have a sneaking preference for any of the parent/child pairs.
As opposed to Survivor: Redemption Island, where I'm not liking any of them.

I found Survivor very meanspirited, so I don't watch it. At least on AR, they help each other sometimes.

frimble3
02-24-2011, 04:20 PM
And I find Survivor slow. All they really do is sit on the beach scheming and trying to scam each other. And, once an episode, there is some sort of 'test', so they have material for the next scheme.
At least on Amazing Race, the show keeps 'em moving, they may help or hinder each other, but it's done on the fly.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
And I find Survivor slow.Totally agree. And remember when Survivor used to have a reward and an immunity challenge? Now they are usually combined to give the egomaniacs even more time to sit on the beach and play at being Machiavelli.

Smileycat
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
True, Frimble.

frimble3
02-25-2011, 04:26 AM
And remember when Survivor used to have a reward and an immunity challenge? Now they are usually combined to give the egomaniacs even more time to sit on the beach and play at being Machiavelli.
I miss the 'good old days' of challenges. Last night I watched 'America's Next Model' instead. At least they made 14 women do a couple of activities, which fills in the hour.

Smileycat
02-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I miss the 'good old days' of challenges. Last night I watched 'America's Next Model' instead. At least they made 14 women do a couple of activities, which fills in the hour.

I watched that, too. OK, so I admit it! :tongue

NCHammerhead
03-01-2011, 06:55 AM
finally watched Sunday's episode on the DVR -- I'm liking this season -- the tasks seem to require more mental prowess and puzzle solving than some of the other seasons.. glad that the cowboys were able to recover

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
-- the tasks seem to require more mental prowess and puzzle solving than some of the other seasons..I don't know if its just the way the show is edited or what, but all the wandering around lost is getting a bit much. If I was in any foreign city with a nice hotel, my first impulse would be "Concierge!" And even if there was no concierge per se, most desk staff are asked questions about local landmarks all the time. And in a really big city, go to the tourist office! There were several teams in this last episode who were presented as riding blindly around in cabs. I can't imagine they were all really that dumb.