PDA

View Full Version : How Well Do You Manage Your Daily Life?

Fruitbat
02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Just for fun (or to make Fruitbat feel better!):

How well do you manage your life? I mean getting around to doing your writing, yes, but everything else as well. If you got a performance evaluation at home, how would you score on a scale of 1 to 5? (1 is disastrous and you should be fired if not imprisoned. 5 is just about perfect).

(You go first, I am not ratting myself out before coffee) ;)

Kateness
02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Can I vote 0.5?

I definitely deserve to be fired from running my own life.

alleycat
02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, if you had asked this question six months ago, I might have stretched and given myself a 2. I just couldn't seem to get everything done, and I was beginning to not care.

Now, I've made a major change in my life. I'm still adjusting to my new life, but feeling better.

amyashley
02-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Becky Black
02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Ah, now this is somewhere I can give myself high marks! :D I'd got for 4, even 4.5. I'd give it a 5 if I did the dusting and vacuuming more often.

I am ridiculously organised, not only to give me more time when I can actually sit down at my desk and write, but also so I can have more thinking time. I make To Do lists and shopping lists and schedules and use a tickler file, all so I don't have to spend all day remembering "on the way home I've gotta pick up milk at the supermarket, then fill that prescription." I want to spend all day thinking about my writing projects.

If I get the jobs to do written down then they're off my mind and my thoughts are free. It's the "mind like water" philosophy essentially. Let your orgainising system "remember" the mundane stuff for you so your mind can do the creative work without as much distraction. I check my To Do list. My calendar gives me reminders. I don't have to remember any of it.

One of my favourite quotations is by Flaubert: "Be neat and orderly in your life, like a bourgeois, so that you may be violent and creative in your work.”

Of course, if I lose my phone, I'm stuffed...

SaraFMC
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Um. Somewhere between a 2 and 4, depending on all the variables.

I love that Flaubert quote, it's me all over. I need my basic stability in order to concentrate. In my roller coaster youth, I had thousands of ideas but got very little done.

However, now I have two school age children, and I work as a book indexer which means an insanely unpredictable schedule. I usually have five uninterrupted hours a day to work, M-F, unless a kid gets sick, or there's a school holiday, which seems very often. After that, it's all interruptions.

I actually studied up on housekeeping at one point, and got much more organized in that respect than I ever had been before, including plenty of delegation, lists, one calendar, etc.

Which means things are cluttered and a little crumby, but basically clean and comfortable and well supplied for me and others. I have trained myself not to procrastinate half as much as I used to, which frees me up. I have regular meals and usually enough sleep.

My backup plan is when it all goes awry, I see if my husband can go to work late or come home early so I can get in a couple of hours, and he usually can. If he vanished, I'd just have to write at night.

When I want to flop, I always think of Elizabeth Gaskell, the mid-19th century novelist who was also a minister's wife (which was a job), had even more children, was running a household back when you had to do it all by hand, and wrote her novels on the dining room table. She was much happier than her friend Charlotte Bronte, as well (if not quite as brilliant). And lived longer.

Libbie
02-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Now that I've set my personal shit mostly in order, I'd get a 4. I'm productive and feeling good about how the day went by the time I hop into bed. I'm making good progress on my books. I'm not stressing out too often over things I can't control.

The fact that I don't like to vacuum or scrub my shower as regularly as I should keeps me from getting a 5.

Shadow_Ferret
02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
1 on my best days. I'd get fired if I got paid for the way I run my life. Right now I'm just staring out the window at the huge snowflakes coming down. I know I should be doing something productive, but can't remember what.

snowflakes

Kitty27
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Mom of 4,work full-time,and I write every day. I am a ruthless life manager. If I didn't have a set schedule and lists for everything,chaos would rule my life,lol.

My kids have daily chores and I change the schedule every week. Clothes and books bags are laid out the night before. Homework is done at the dinner table. I use plastic plates,forks,and cups to avoid washing dishes. Once a week,the entire house gets a scrub down. Sunday is laundry day. No exceptions from chores unless one of them is sick. No pouting about doing work,either. I don't run a democracy.

I write at night when the kids are sleep. I also write while they are at school. I don't miss a day unless I am sick or have other commitments. I keep a big calendar in the kitchen with each dr.appt or after school activity written on it.

I also think that anyone who is a parent or takes care of a parent gets an automatic 10.

alleycat
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
1 on my best days. I'd get fired if I got paid for the way I run my life. Right now I'm just staring out the window at the huge snowflakes coming down. I know I should be doing something productive, but can't remember what.

snowflakes
Remember, you not doing nothing . . . you're being inspired!

You can use this detail for your WIP. "For some time she sat looking out the window at the huge snowflakes coming down. It was strangely mesmerizing . . . "

:-)

KatieT
02-20-2011, 10:56 PM
As far as taking care of the house and other activities of daily living - 4.5 (because sometimes I don't wash the dishes when I'm too tired). As far as making time for writing, I'd give myself a big fat ZERO.

My current job just sucks the life out of me, so that by the time I'm home, I am uninspired, exhausted, and I'd rather play Sims than do anything that makes me think.

However, that is all about to change. I just cleaned out our office, which was previously being used as the dog's "room", and re-organized my desk. I am planning to resign from my current position at the end of March to help my boyfriend with his business endeavors, and to give myself more time to write.

I am excited about finally pursuing my passion again!

Fruitbat
02-20-2011, 11:59 PM

AA, you crack me up! Thank you so much to everyone who is as bad as
Fruitbat!

I'd say I range from 1.5 to 4, and it seems to go in big chunks of two or three months. Currently 1.5 but at the point of being fed up with my own disasterness, hence the post. When I have a job, I get a 5. Loose imposed structure works beautifully for me. But I don't like it. :rolleyes:

BigWords
02-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Ridiculous working hours, insane attemps at trying to keep on top of personal paperwork, and a hopeless building project... I think I would be in the negative numbers if I had to put a numerical value on my life management.

Susan Littlefield
02-21-2011, 12:26 AM
I pretty much have all my ducks in a row. If one gets out of place, I push it right back to where it's supposed to be. Except for vacuuming. I really need to vacuum today.

scarletpeaches
02-21-2011, 12:31 AM

Mom of 4,work full-time,and I write every day. I am a ruthless life manager. If I didn't have a set schedule and lists for everything,chaos would rule my life,lol.

My kids have daily chores and I change the schedule every week. Clothes and books bags are laid out the night before. Homework is done at the dinner table. I use plastic plates,forks,and cups to avoid washing dishes. Once a week,the entire house gets a scrub down. Sunday is laundry day. No exceptions from chores unless one of them is sick. No pouting about doing work,either. I don't run a democracy.

I write at night when the kids are sleep. I also write while they are at school. I don't miss a day unless I am sick or have other commitments. I keep a big calendar in the kitchen with each dr.appt or after school activity written on it.All bullshit and fighting over custody of Aidan aside, this is why I've got an ENORMOUS amount of respect for you.

I have a routine for chores and stick to it. (Mostly). But people say, "You've got no kids, no commitment, it's easy, it's all right for you." I call bullshit. No husband means no support, means I take care of my shit ALONE.

But you prove it can be done. Organisation like a drill sergeant, and not whining or making excuses.

I've got so much time for people like you who take care of their own life without whinging.
I also think that anyone who is a parent or takes care of a parent gets an automatic 10.As long as they do parent, of course. I know a lot of people who breed, but they ain't mothers (my own 'mother' springing to mind first of all).

AlwaysJuly
02-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I'd give myself a 3.5.

I balance a lot of things. I get up at 5am to write before work. I work full-time. I'm in grad school part-time, so that's my evenings. I try to get to the gym during my lunch hour or run after work, but I'm not doing a great job of getting my exercise in, so that's 1/2 point off. And my house is perpetually sort of trashed, too.

Mollfie
02-21-2011, 02:45 AM
3/4 ish? Depending of what's happening.

I work part-time, I'm doing a full-time masters degree (so I have to write, read and workshop everyweek both in and outside of class), workshopping with friends, household stuff, live with my boyfriend so have to pay him some attention lol, take care of the pets, I have depression but I manage to deal with that enough that I can still write and draw, keep in contact with family (especially my mum who is deaf so I write/text her a lot), writing my novel/manuscript and uni work, blog, draw etc.

Not as much as some people, but still a fair amount.

MissMacchiato
02-21-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm going to say a 3.5 at the moment.

I feel a bit all over the place, but usually I do okay. I have goals and dreams and I'm moving towards those. I've achieved most of the things I've aimed towards, and I feel I contribute positively to the lives of friends and family for the most part.

I think I'm doing okay, but I could definitely do better.

COchick
02-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Another mother giving myself a 10 here. I have 3 kids, I homeschool, I work part-time from home while my husband works 70+ hour weeks, I do all of the totin' around for soccer and karate and church and things, I clean the house, I work out several times a week, and I still find time to write.

But I must add, there are days when I feel so overwhelmed I lock myself in the bathroom and cry and rip a roll of toilet paper in to shreds until I feel better. On those days, I tend to feel more like a negative number.

Duchessmary
02-21-2011, 04:19 AM
Er, I'd have to say a 2. I'm at home full time, but I can slack off with the best of them. Tuesdays I clean, vaccum, do some cooking. Wednesdays is usually some ironing. My husband works full time, my daughter part time, so I'm sort of the delegated maid and do most of the cooking and cleaning. It's hard to for me to work on my writing when they're around because the tv is on constantly. My best days are Fridays and Saturday afternoons when it's relatively quiet.
Discipline is a word I'm working on.
:D

Nightmelody
02-21-2011, 04:43 AM
I was starting to reply to this but was shocked at how whiny I sounded! Schedules. Are. Insane.

Until March.

Kitty27
02-21-2011, 04:44 AM
All bullshit and fighting over custody of Aidan aside, this is why I've got an ENORMOUS amount of respect for you.

I have a routine for chores and stick to it. (Mostly). But people say, "You've got no kids, no commitment, it's easy, it's all right for you." I call bullshit. No husband means no support, means I take care of my shit ALONE.

But you prove it can be done. Organisation like a drill sergeant, and not whining or making excuses.

I've got so much time for people like you who take care of their own life without whinging.As long as they do parent, of course. I know a lot of people who breed, but they ain't mothers (my own 'mother' springing to mind first of all).

:Hug2::Hug2:

Thank you,you lunatic. I adore you,too. Now you've ruined my bad ass Goth image by making me cry.

I am a can do person. There is no other way to live my life.

ETA: You have betrayed Aiden with the Dean avi. He is mine now.

scarletpeaches
02-21-2011, 04:45 AM
If Jensen is my booby prize, I can deal with that. However, if you fail to share The Aidan, I may reconsider my 'go batshit on Amazon' plan, and you will miss out on the spectacle.

dancingandflying
02-21-2011, 05:41 AM
I'd give myself a 3 at the moment. I'm a full-time student, but have been on the Dean's List every semester I've been at school. I'm putting together my old high school's literary magazine. I'm organizing two trips abroad over the summer and an internship. I write pretty frequently, at least a couple times a week. I work out three times a week. I get my shit done, even though my schedule's not perfect.

I get behind on laundry a lot. I HATE doing laundry.

d&f.

Ingvanye
02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I got fired.

artemis31386
02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I think I get a 2. Its a good day if I notice the pile of laundry needing to be done by the time I finish writing and doing my day job stuff.

muravyets
02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
0. I'd so totally fire me if I was my boss. I'm used to scooting through life by the skin of my teeth, but last year, I made one of the stupidest decisions of my life, in full knowledge that it was a bad idea (opting to trust someone I already knew I didn't really trust, regarding money), and that ridiculous wrong bet has so screwed me, I really deserve to get voted off the Isle of Me. Plus the house is wrecked and I only got 1042 words written in two days and my art site still isn't rebuilt, nor the art blog moved and updated, nor a 100 other things done or even touched. I sincerely wish there was anyone else I could put in charge of me. ETA: Except, of course, those jerks I shouldn't have trusted about money.

Jamesaritchie
02-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Well, I've been happily married for thirty-one years, I've been my own boss for even longer, all three of my kids have reached adulthood without getting into trouble even once, and all three are now happily married themselves. All three are well-employed, upstanding members of their communities and churches, and they've given me three wonderful grandchildren, with more to come.

Given my druthers, I'd like to make about ten million per year more than I do, and I'd like to own Alaska, but I have no real complaints that I have any control over. Life has always been as good and as easy as we wanted to make it, and it's seriously difficult to find a complaint that wouldn't be foolish.

Especially when I can look around for three minutes and find millions who are far worse off in every possible way. Compared to most of the world, I live like a king. Add to this that everyone in the family, close and distant, is happy, loving, on good terms with everyone else, well, why on earth would I complain?

Then again, I'm a firm believer in the old saw, Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you get. More often than not, I get what I want, but when I don't, I want what I get. It makes a happy life pretty easy to obtain.

amrose
02-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I get a 2-3 depending.

I do half the chore I'm supposed to do and not go back to it until three days later.

I'll wash the clothes but then leave them in a big heap. Fiancee is just as lazy, though a bit more anal than I am.

Kate Thornton
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I think I'd give myself a 10. Maybe it's self-confidence, maybe it's some of JAR's "wanting what you get" and maybe it's a miracle, but I do okay.

I have had a remarkable career doing the stuff I love, lost it all to a stroke, but was damned lucky in that I survived. Got an adorable husband of 32 years, and manage to continue writing, keeping the house (a fab 1955 Cliff May mid-century modern that's been restored) gardening, seeing to the pets, and helping a less fortunate family with their children. I also now work part time and paint. My first collection came out late last year and I couldn't be more delighted at the reception it got. I do short story panels & teach a workshop, I travel and I'm halfway done on the new novel.

In short, I am so happy with life - I wouldn't trade it for anything. Yeah, I walk with a brace, but I walk! No, I can't write by hand, but that's what keyboards are for! No, I'll never be a ballerina, but I never wanted to be one anyway.

I love each day. I stay busier than I ever thought possible. (Hey, did you know you can wash almost anything in a clothes washer? I have been experimenting...) I take pleasure in the daily routine, then take even more pleasure in my writing time. I think a loose schedule works best for me...that way I know when big stuff is coming to which I must attend (Workshops, signings, parties, etc.) But every day is an adventure, esp. those days just before payday...

I think if you have faced down death & got a second chance, even chores are a delight. I'm off to grocery shop now - love leaning on the cart and seeing the unbelievable variety in stores. And what the hell is a Jerusalem artichoke? Maybe today is the day I find out...