Your Writing "Nook"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shelfishlyaddicted.com
We all have our favorite place to write: whether it's a dedicated office, under your favorite tree outside, or the only corner of your home that has not been claimed by your significant other, children, or pets...

I'd like to see yours!

Here's mine:

Desk.jpg

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just sit on the settee. Then I have a tray on my lap with the lap top on, and I can still watch the TV over the top on the screen.

Right now there is some ancient film about Mounties on. I'm ignoring it but I like the background noise.

Everything is within reach, coffee, ashtray, baccy pouch, remote, heap of library books.
Well cool.

I won't post a picture because it's just an old settee that the people across the road were chucking out.

Your desk is lovely. I'd like one of them for keeping things in, but I think I'd still do my writing right here on the settee.

Reaction score
I have a proper office now, with a desk, chair and WiFi. Corkboard on the wall in front of me, and two posters of Gerard Butler for, er...inspiration.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I am nookless.
I take my laptop to the table and write, sit on the couch and write, sit outside and write, or sometimes sit at my desk in my room and write. I can write with the TV blaring and kids and dogs making a ruckus and I can write in complete silence. One day, I hope to have a house big enough where I can take a space, just for myself, just for my writing and make it my nook, but until then, I'll just keep writing amidst the happy chaos that is my life.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
We have a separate computer room, which is probably a good thing since we have five computers among the four of us. (It used to be six, but my netbook conked out.) I have my desktop computer set up on an old drafting desk I bought at a flea market ten or twelve years ago. Beside me I have two narrow wooden bookcases, holding office supplies, paper, and a bunch of writing-related stuff, including my copies of my books that are in print. On the wall above my desk, I have calendar pages for this month and next month, a list of the projects I'm working on now with target completion dates, and a few other pieces of paper. Higher up on the wall is my cover gallery: print-outs of all my YA and romance covers (except one romance cover that I wouldn't want my children seeing).

I try to keep the top of my desk reasonably neat, but I tend to fail at that.

Katie, I love your desk! I'd post a pic of my area, but it's pretty messy right now, plus my camera and computer have each decided the other doesn't exist, so I can't upload any pics.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Mine is a Elfa desk (zebra wood, so black and brown stripes) with eight baskets for storage. No hutches, shelves, or drawers--those are all extremely useless storage for me. An Elfa filing unit (open on top for file folders and two more baskets), a zebra-striped run, and a calendar on the wall.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I have a study. A very very very untidy study - books and papers all over everywhere, various creatures (pink mouse, Belton Bertie, pink rabbit, frogs, polar bear...) A path leads through the mess to my desk. Reference books are within reach. Shakespeare books are behind me. I can gaze over the folders stacked on the window will and see, through the over grown bramble, the sky. The study has no door and is reached via the sitting room or the stairs that lead down from my bedroom. Lurking behind one of the book cases is the way in to the 400+ year old brick built bread oven - aka Spiderville. It is a small, compact and cosy mess. I would not have it any other way.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a studio apartment, so when I write from home I'm just sitting on my futon, which is my bed as well.

I often get out and write at public libraries. Most of them are quiet and pleasant and I find the change of scenery stimulates my imagination. I've also done some of my best writing at Starbucks stores.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
i wish i had a nook!

unfortunately, i am a college freshman shut up in a dorm room with nowhere to escape. i write between essays at my desk, which is incredibly cluttered with homework and books and a fishbowl, or on my bed.

d&f.

SaraFMC

Persisting.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a home office, with a desk and a ratty armchair and a wall of books, at home. But I'm in Denmark right now, in a rental, so I'm writing in the bedroom or in the living room if the others are out.

And even when I'm home, my office is not heated, so in the winter if nobody else is home I write in the living room, or wear three sweaters and take hourly tea-making breaks so I can warm up again.

I need privacy, and relative quiet. Location is less important.

KatieT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shelfishlyaddicted.com
Haven't y'all heard? Messy offices are the new black in Writer's World! ;)

I have pictures of my future office posted up on my wall. It's actually a small home library, two-stories, with wall-to-wall bookshelves. I shall make my home amongst the books and dwell there forever!

hyz

hurricane
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.happyowlbooks.com
I have a desk that's perpetually littered with bottles of nail polish, empty cups of coffee, tea, and glasses of water. I write here because... well, I have a desktop computer. Lugging around my laptop is way inconvenient, and I'm fairly comfortable in this chair.

I do have a notebook I'll take with me and write down bits for poems, or some ideas. Oh, though I do have loads of stretches of receipt tape that I hurriedly scribble down things before I see my bosses coming. Under those fluorescent lights at work, I think I've had some awesome novel breakthroughs.

Mollfie

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment I have no choice but to sit on the sofa with my laptop. We live in a one bed flat and there is no space for my boyfriend and I to both have a desk. So he has a desk because he has a PC.

When we move I've already claimed a room for my own office.

Reaction score
Maryn often jokes that my desk is so tidy I should visit her place and tidy hers up. ;)

I can't work in an untidy room. Well, I could. A writer writes whatever the circumstances, but I'd prefer not to. I like knowing where everything is, and having occasional blitz-style clearouts.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm in the process of creating a great nook. My attic has a sloped by high ceiling, and is the full length of the house, and has a dormer to one side. I am cleaning the attic, doing some electrical work, figuring out heating and cooling, and then I will have a quiet, open space all to myself.

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
My "nook" is my computer desk that I work at.. when I'm not working I'm writing. It's located in the family room as I reside in a cramped apartment, so I put on headphones and zone out to make my own "nook".

And it's right by the damn sliding glass door so it's always freezing at my desk. I don't say "I'll quite writing when you pry my cold dead fingers..." because it could likely come true.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I work as I live - in CHAOS! My current "nook" is a wooden bench cushioned with sheep skins and Moroccan mini rugs, with my desk top set up on the coffee table because it's too big for my rolltop desk, only the coffee table is too low to type on, so the keyboard and mouse are on a lap desk and... yeah. Plus the required clutter - water bottle, coffee cup, notebooks, pens, files, DVDs, empty cracker boxes...

My goal is to save enough to buy a new drafting table for the studio so I can move the small desk on which I do all my drawing and cutting from there to the living room, next to the rolltop, making an el-shaped home office work station. I know I'll catch heat from Mr. Cat for it, though, as he's become used to snuggling next to me on the bench while I write.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I love your desk!

My writing space looks like one of the scenes from A Beautiful Mind -- Post-its everywhere. I have a lot of clutter in the form of notebooks, charts and so on.

On the wall in front of me are framed photos taken by a friend -- very soothing scenes of pagan religious sites and Buddha and the Puget Sound.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I share a beautiful office w/my DH - only he's usually in another room on his laptop when I'm writing. Everything works out so well, and we are neat freaks, so nothing shows. Okay the drawers might look like a bomb went off inside them, but nothing shows!

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
When I write at home, I'm either stretched out on the couch with my laptop in the living room or stretched out with my laptop on my chair and footstool in my sun room.

The stretching out part is important, for if I do not provide body parts on which the cats can sleep, they will park their fuzzy butts on my keyboard. >.<

This is why my other writing nook is the cafe at my local Borders (which isn't one of the ones slated to close).

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
My current nook is a desk in the corner of the living room. Not the best spot for writing after hubby comes home from work because I'm usually distracted by the noise from the television which is less than three feet behind me. However, this is only a temporary spot until we get the floor sanded and sealed in the room I've chosen to become my office.

Status
Not open for further replies.