Russian language (diminutives)

Paradox

Registered
Reaction score
If there are any Russian speakers on the board that can help, I'd appreciate it. Basically, my MC's father is Russian and has an annoying habit of creating playful diminutives out of every adjective and noun he could use to describe his daughter. I'm looking specifically for the diminutives of: impatient, playful, curious, worrier/worry, and (odd, I know) death.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
If there are any Russian speakers on the board that can help, I'd appreciate it. Basically, my MC's father is Russian and has an annoying habit of creating playful diminutives out of every adjective and noun he could use to describe his daughter. I'm looking specifically for the diminutives of: impatient, playful, curious, worrier/worry, and (odd, I know) death.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Paradox,

I'm a native Russian speaker and writer. Normally, Russian diminutives can be a huge pain (there're tons of various forms and shapes), but luckily, the ones you've chosen are easy and straightforward. The only difference being that they're not adjectives as in English but nouns because nouns sound more natural in Russian in this respect. There's no particular pet word for "curious" but there's a joking idiom "a curious Barbara", don't ask me where it comes from, no one knows!

I use capital letters to mark stressed vowels so you had some idea how to pronounce the words... PM me if you have more questions. Good luck!

impatient -- neposeda (nee-pah-SEH-dah, непоседа)
playful -- shalunia (sha-LOO-nyah, шалунья)
curious -- lubopytnaya Varvara (lu-bah-PYT-nah-yah vahr-VAH-rah, любопытная Варвара)
worrier -- khlopotunia ( hlah-pah-TOO-nyah, хлопотунья)
worry (I assume it's a noun, as in, "a big worry") -- volnenyitse (vahl-NEH-nyit-seh, волненьице)
death -- smertushka (SMEHR-toosh-kah, смертушка)

Last edited:

Paradox

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I was afraid I'd have to learn the whole language just for a few sentences.