PDA

View Full Version : Great Harlan Ellison rant...

Barbara R.
02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
...here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE), about media moguls who expect writers to work for free, and the clueless writers who enable them. Enjoy!

GregS
02-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Love it.

Silver King
02-20-2011, 06:45 AM
That clip has been shared on this site a number of times, and it never gets old, nor does its message.

Barbara R.
02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
That clip has been shared on this site a number of times, and it never gets old, nor does its message.

Yes. When I was an agent, one of the hardest parts of the job was convincing my clients not to give their work away. At the time, very few writers in Israel, where I lived at the time, had representation, so publishers totally had their way with them. They almost never paid advances, they took all the rights with no provision for reversion, and some even tried to sneak in a lifetime option on every book the client would go on to write. It was awful. And of course the publishers loathed the thought of letting an agent come between them and their prey. Which I did anyway.

I was even Harlan's agent for a while, for Hebrew rights only. I remember him as one of the few writers who questioned the terms of the deal I presented him; most just said "Wow, a sale to Israel---cool!"

Jamesaritchie
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM
He has several rants along these lines, and he's dead right. I wish those who think giving work away is okay would have people move in and offer to do their day jobs for free. Maybe this would make them understand the silliness of it.

brainstorm77
02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Loved it!