Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
But isn't knowing how to work out how to say/read a word you've never encountered an important part of learning to read?

ETA: Using a made up word should ensure it's not a word they've encountered before, so checks their ability with new words rather than ones they may have memorised.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
But isn't knowing how to work out how to say/read a word you've never encountered an important part of learning to read?

Yeah, I can see the logic of that but I think learning to read is a big enough job without throwing in made up words at the same time.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
When you're 6, any word you don't know looks daunting, made up or not (besides which, plenty of kids books include made up words - On the ning nang nong where all the cows go bong and the monkeys all say boo, there's nong nang ning where the trees go ping and the teapots jibber jabber joo)

My kids learnt early on at school to 'sound out' a new word. That is, break it down into sounds, then put them back together. K-ooo-b.

By putting unknown words into it, the teachers can make sure they are learning to do that rather than just parroting a word they know. Seems fair to me. I'd rather my kid learnt to read independently than learnt to parrot and then can't figure out a new word.

It's just a way of ensuring they are learning it, rather than parroting it.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I thought that was a topical reference to Brighton.

I think perhaps Mr Wells was referencing the original poem? I have to say I never took Mr Milligan for a hippie, really. Just a loon, and a lovable one at that.

Whichever, the point is - it's an extremely popular kids poem - with made up words in it.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I think perhaps Mr Wells was referencing the original poem? I have to say I never took Mr Milligan for a hippie, really. Just a loon, and a lovable one at that.

Whichever, the point is - it's an extremely popular kids poem - with made up words in it.

You're probably right. But in my mind Brighton and Ning Nang Nongers have become inseparable.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You're probably right. But in my mind Brighton and Ning Nang Nongers have become inseparable.

I only live down the road, and I go out there a fair bit but I must say I'd never heard the term with reference to Brighton.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I reckon it's just me and the dead dude.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think made up words are important to kids.

My daughter makes up words and names all the time, then she likes to ask me to write them down or spell them for her.

I think it's a very important part of learning how language works, it makes you really understand the sounds and letters rather than memorizing a set of words.