US and Australian bookstore chains go into receivership.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think the article you linked to makes its case superbly.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
From what I read about Borders here in the states, they will close about 300 books stores. Those that remain open will be very selective in new books they decide to purchase.

After years of the big box stores driving out the small mom and pop bookstores in their area's perhaps we have a chance on these smaller operations coming back. Not sure if this will be a positive result though as the smaller stores are going to be just as selective on what new authors they take in.

Also from what I am reading, Borders was big on midlist writers and with 300 book stores here in the states closing, that means there are 300 fewer markets for publishers to sell new. I think the midlisters are going to suffer further. But perhaps, this is where self publishing will pick up the pace, when more and more known authors, start self pubbing because their publishers cut them from the fold...

Scary times continue for us new writers...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Also from what I am reading, Borders was big on midlist writers and with 300 book stores here in the states closing, that means there are 300 fewer markets for publishers to sell new. I think the midlisters are going to suffer further.
Yes, and publishers routinely hold back a portion of money for "reserve against returns." So that authors are paid only for books actually sold to customers, not just ordered by stores.

With Borders returning their stock, midlist authors are automatically going to take a substantial hit.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and publishers routinely hold back a portion of money for "reserve against returns." So that authors are paid only for books actually sold to customers, not just ordered by stores.

With Borders returning their stock, midlist authors are automatically going to take a substantial hit.

Which is why (among other reasons) I'm going to my neighborhood Borders tomorrow and buy. Mine is one of the ones closing, even though that location actually made money last year. Hubby was told that the court decided which stores to close. Don't know if that is true, but what he was told.

And while I like the idea of independents coming back, I doubt if they will any time soon. The closest non-specialty independent to me is about 20 miles away. Quite a change when you have had Borders 1 mile down the street.

MM

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit to owning a Kindle - and I love it. We travel a lot and with the Kindle, I can take several books with me in one neat package..
Still I love going to the books store and browsing.
All of our Borders are closing - we have a Barnes & Noble about 10 miles away and an independent 5 miles - then there 's Shopko and Target, of course.

I wonder if libraries will be nothing more than museums in 40 or 50 years.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to meet an e-reader that can replicate children's books well for an audience, page through easily, or even just replicate the experience of reading a physical book. There's something satisfying in a physical copy...

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Yeah. It looks very likely good books are going to be hard to find like a good piece of chocolate that is succulent. When they lowered the coco bean content here that was needed to call chocolate chocolate, good chocolate if you don't stick to the brand names has been hard to find. If the brand named chocolate makers close down because all of the cheaper chocolate takes over the market without the ingredients that make good chocolate, I won't eat the stuff anymore.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think the article you linked to makes its case superbly.

Here here.

As an example:

There was a Loeb edition of Caesar with the Latin and English on facing pages. They wanted between $45 and $55 AU for it.

$24 AU from the Bookdepository and free postage or $25ish AU from Amazon and some extra for postage. Difficult to argue that one.

Last edited:

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
From what I read about Borders here in the states, they will close about 300 books stores. Those that remain open will be very selective in new books they decide to purchase.

They are closing the nearest one to me and I am so depressed about this. Nothing compares to spending a rainy day getting lost in the thousands of books I can leaf through with my fingers.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I hope they don't close the Borders in Perth. I'm pretty sure we only have one in WA and if they close it I'll be so pissed. Perth is enough of a boring backwater already, the last thing we need is to lose our largest bookshop. I couldn't give a hoot over Angus and Robertson. I've never really liked their stores. I prefer Dymocks.

I'm not really surprised they've got into administration. I think the price of paperbacks in Australia is all right $15-$20 is not that bad but I refuse to pay over $60 for hardbacks. I buy my hard backs online and any rare books I want as well like Sailor Moon mangas.

I love buying books. I have a pile of about 10 that I am slowly getting through. I can't keep buying them though. I already have one huge bookcase that is packed. I can't keep buying more bookcases. I am planning on getting a kindle sometime soon. After that I'll probably buy a couple of printed books a year.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The causes of this wreck are many. An uncompetitive retail model, failure to adapt to new technology, high rents and other overheads, protectionist measures artificially raising prices, and terrible management, all played roles. Commentators will be sorting through the rubble for one easy answer, but I don't think there is one, except maybe a general inability or unwillingness to change with the times.

I went into Borders on Friday, with my $30 gift card. I wasn't holding out much hope; I wasn't a customer now but a creditor, and should have expected to join the queue. Instead, they offered to redeem the value of the card in exchange for an equal cash purchase. I thought this was reasonable, seeing I had no expectation of getting anything. The whingers feel differently. Insert some profound comment on the modern entitlement culture here.

I was also struck by how much of the floorspace had been turned over to stuff that wasn't books. Just why is a book store selling baby care products and homewares? This crap occupied the prime space by the entrance. Terrible, shitty management.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Our Angus & Robertson has been very supportive of local authors and it will be a terrible shame if they go. I'm not even sure where the next closest bookstore is.