Shake, Shake, Shake, Shake Djibouti

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Another domino is wobbling.
Thousands of people have taken to the streets of Djibouti to call for President Ismael Omar Guelleh to step down.
Mr Guelleh's family has governed the Red Sea city state since independence from France in 1977. The United States has a large military base in Djibouti.
Security forces in riot gear are standing by. A constitutional amendment last year legalized Guelleh's run for a third term. He was re-elected unopposed in 2005.

Hat tip to Reason.com for the title.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
More coverage from CNN.
Thousands of people marched in protest through Djibouti on Friday, rallying against the ruling elite as well as economic stagnation within the small African nation.

"The march was peaceful and diverse," said Aly Verjee, director of the international election observation mission to Djibouti, who witnessed the event.

But riot police charged the crowd after the call to evening prayers, shooting canisters of tear gas at the demonstrators, he said.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what's worse: the escalating violence in the middle east, which is disturbing, or having KC and the Sunshine Band's voices running through my head.

Although this is the best thread title on AW.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what's worse: the escalating violence in the middle east, which is disturbing, or having KC and the Sunshine Band's voices running through my head.

Although this is the best thread title on AW.
As dmytry pointed out, and as I alluded to in the OP, if this keeps up we should perhaps find a tune by Derek and the Dominos.

Although Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" also comes to mind.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
As dmytry pointed out, and as I alluded to in the OP, if this keeps up we should perhaps find a tune by Derek and the Dominos.

Although Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" also comes to mind.

Love the idea of a mid-east anthem. I really thought this* was the right choice until about 5 minutes ago, when I thought of Janis.**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZN2-n_BIKI

*Sandman

I understand you've been running from the man (trying to escape oppression
That goes by the name of the sandman from the man who'd rather you sleep than actively participate
He flies the sky like an eagle in the eye & who only appears to be a symbol of freedom
Of a hurricane that's abandoned. but is actually an unpredictable force, out-of-control, so it's a good idea to get going.)

God Bless all seekers of freedom -- North South East and West

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irU5oihACj4

**Me and Bobby McGee

Last edited: