British gays don't want marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Edward Leigh, the MP for Gainsborough, questioned why the language of marriage should be “mangled” and suggested that changing the law would lead to recognising polygamy.

He wrote on his website: “The British are a tolerant people and it is right that homosexual people should be allowed to get on with their lives.

“But this does not extend to mangling the language of marriage so that, for the sake of the tiny number of gay people who prefer marriage to civil partnership, everyone else in society must have the definition of their own marriage altered forever.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/18/tory-mp-claims-most-gay-people-dont-want-the-right-to-marry/

It's nice to know that the US isn't the only country with politicians like this.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...we should recognize poly-relationship as being just as healthy as any other kind of relationship.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
>_<

"....everyone else in society must have the definition of their own marriage altered forever. "

Where do people even get this from? How does allow gays to have the same rights as straights change ANYTHING about hetero marriage? IT DOESN'T!

/capslock rage

Also, what Zoombie said.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
But this does not extend to mangling the language of marriage so that, for the sake of the tiny number of gay people who prefer marriage to civil partnership, everyone else in society must have the definition of their own marriage altered forever.

Bollocks.

Here's my definition of marriage, based on a source this sanctimonious bastard ought at least to recognize. It's a promise made between two people who love each other:

To have and to hold, from this day forward,
For better, for worse,
For richer, for poorer,
In sickness and in health.
To love and to cherish
Till death do us part.

Would Mr Leigh please explain in what way this would be different for a gay couple?

Louise

Deleted member 42

“Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die — there will I be buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and more as well, if even death parts me from you!” (Ruth 1:16-17)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
>_<

"....everyone else in society must have the definition of their own marriage altered forever. "

Where do people even get this from? How does allow gays to have the same rights as straights change ANYTHING about hetero marriage? IT DOESN'T!

/capslock rage

Also, what Zoombie said.

This.

Completely this.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Luckily the government seems not to agree with him:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/16/british-government-points-towards-gay-marriage-equality/

Nick Clegg has openly said he supports gay marriage, and it was part of their policy. Others in power also seem to agree.

I wish the Times (and the Pink News quoting them) hadn't jumped the gun on the reporting of this (My post in P&CE a few days ago) Damn, I thought it was all about to change...

In short - the guy in the OP is a dick.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
More than 90% of british gay people want same sex marriage, according to some poll in Pink News that I don't have the time to dig up. However, it's a bit more muddy than that. The biggest gay organisation in the UK, Stonewall, has for a long time been opposed to gay marriage - and wanted the C&P instead because marriage is 'heteronormative'. Ugh.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
More than 90% of british gay people want same sex marriage, according to some poll in Pink News that I don't have the time to dig up. However, it's a bit more muddy than that. The biggest gay organisation in the UK, Stonewall, has for a long time been opposed to gay marriage - and wanted the C&P instead because marriage is 'heteronormative'. Ugh.

Stonewall UK is also one of the largest LGB groups that explicitly does not include T. They also nominated Julie Bindel (outspoken transphobe, believes straight women should "choose" to be gay, doesn't want to be "lumped in" with other LGBT categories, etc.) for "Journalist of the Year," which prompted demonstrations against Stonewall by trans people.

Considering that transgender people were very important in the actual Stonewall uprising, and may have instigated the whole thing, it's really disgusting that a group like this has the nerve to claim the name. There are some decent individual members, but the group as a whole has some serious problems. (According to Wikipedia, Stonewall Scotland does address transgender issues, but that's sorta an exception to the overall policy.)

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If they don't want to get married, no one will force them. Just get out of our way and give us our civil rights. Then decide what you want on a personal basis. Jeez.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
If they don't want to get married, no one will force them. Just get out of our way and give us our civil rights. Then decide what you want on a personal basis. Jeez.
I agree.

I personally see no need to get married altho swapping rings and committing to one another suited me fine. And I just don't like being told I can't do something because I'm different/less than you (meaning them).

Makes me want to find a lesbian, marry her, and say: "Just cause we aren't the same sex, doesn't mean it ain't a gay marriage."

I'm curmudgeonly that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.