Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Hi! I was wondering which conferences you recommend for non-fiction book writers.

Have any of you pitched your book in editor/agent appointment?

Thanks.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
I'm a member of the Biographers International Organization, and I highly recommend BIO's annual conference (it was in Boston last year; this year, it's in Washington, DC). Even if you're not a biographer, there's still plenty of valuable information to be had -- plus the keynote speaker this year is Robert Caro, which makes it more than worth the price of admission, in my book.

And yup, there IS an agent "speed dating" service.

Anyway, more info is here: http://www.biographersinternational.org/conference.html

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
This is awesome!! Thank you so much.

I'm much, much more familiar with the world of fiction writing. This non-fic conference sounds fabulous. I feel like yelling, "Eureka" (and scaring my dog, no doubt).

Okay, so, have you ever participated in the Agent Speed Dating?

I'm trying to help non-fiction writers work on their pitches (no cost, that's just the mission of my new website). I'm having agents come in a guest in PitchFest weeks, and they address both fiction and non-fiction.

For example Michael Larsen will be my guest starting Feb 27th. He'll actually be taking NF pitches and helping writers work on them by providing feedback. (Yeah, and if he likes them he may ask for a partial or full; but my personal mission is education.)

Anyway, I've had such a hard time trying to find ways to let non-fiction writers know they're welcome to come over. But this conference is a GREAT start. I'll send James McGrath Morris (exec director) an email and see if the attendees would like to come out to Pitch University prior to the conference and get all the verbal kinks out of their pitches. ;)

Thanks, again. I appreciate the information.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Link please

Geez, Diane, you're touting what sounds like a valuable resource to help nonfiction writers learn to pitch, but I don't see a link. (Maybe I missed it?) If you're going to be contributing regularly here, why not add it to your signature line so it appears every time you post.

Jerry

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Pitch University

Hey, Thanks, Jerry! I'm new here and don't want to come across like I'm selling something. ;) Okay, here's the link: http://www.pitch-university.com/ (Absolutely free. I'm kinda adamant about not making money off my fellow unpublished writers.)

(And I'll change my signature next. Thanks for the nudge.)

I'm so jazzed about this site, because, well, it's for writers. That's been my life for a couple decades.

Anyway, I have this really awesome NF agent (Michael Larsen) coming for a PitchFest week Feb 28th, and I'm actually afraid we won't get any NF writers. That would be such a shame all the way around. Here's a guy who loves teaching writers, loves being an agent, willing to answer pretty much anything.... We need to take advantage of him.

I'm willing to help anyone who wants with their pitch. There's an incredible amount of great articles/lessons already on the site. But if it helps to talk to a real person, I'm up for hashing out pitches here.

If anyone is interested, I can start a thread.

All you have to do to participate is create an audio or video pitch and follow the rules. If you're really timid, I have a written option, but the only feedback you'll get from that is if your words work "enough" that you're ready to make an audio/video.

The point, after all, is to learn verbal pitching and get ready for pitching in-person. ;)

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
ah-ha, interesting work. Thanks for sharing

I checked out your website. Lovely work! If this is all really free, you ought to be inundated. The problem for me as a nonfiction writer is that I am swimming in an ocean of writing groups in the Philadelphia-Allentown area and they are largely for genre fiction. I didn't even sign up to attend my beloved Greater Lehigh Valley Writers Group conference this year, because they didn't have any nonfiction courses. Since I wasn't going to attend, I volunteered to be an usher for their pitch-the-agent sessions. :) The only nonfiction conference I know about is ASJA two hours away in New York City and that's too far and too expensive. So I'm intrigued to see you working so diligently online to generate some buzz around nonfiction books. Thank you!

Yes, sure there are etiquette rules about selling but if you are offering tons of value for free, IMO I don't think those rules apply. Anyway, if you are going to tout it, always include the link. Otherwise what's the point? :)

I'm taking a pitching workshop right now, from my writing mentor Jonathan Maberry (a horror/thriller writer - sigh), and perhaps those sessions will result in a pitch worth posting. Now I have to study your rules.

Video pitch - that's intriguing. I guess the technical rules are posted on the site, right? Okay, back to writing (non-fiction). Oh one last question: does non-fiction include memoir?

Best,
Jerry

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Pitch University - NF and Creative NF

Dear Jerry,

Thank you so much! Yes, I hope to be inundated. :) My goal is to be listed as one of Writer's Digests top 100 websites. Hey, dream big.

I'm not surprised to hear about the lack of NF groups. When I started Pitch U, I went out looking for national NF groups, thinking it worked the same way national genre groups worked, with local chapters. As you know, that doesn't seem to exist.

But I love NF books. :) (And they sell better than fiction.) So it just makes sense to help NF writers learn to pitch, too.

Jonathan Maberry! Okay, I'm jealous. :) Very creative (in that Zombie way)!

An aside: I'd love to have him do a guest article (perhaps you'd like to do it together?) about pitching. Here's a couple ideas in case you're interested.

* For him, the pitching considerations of the horror genre. (There are always special considerations by genre/type. A lot's the same, but you do have to keep the agent, editor, or reader from saying, "Oh, it's just another zombie story." Plus, in horror, the "bad thing" is the draw, the scare. So, that might have more weight in the pitch than the protagonist.)

* For you (or you both), it would be very instructive to see where you start with your pitch, and how it changes throughout the workshop (and why).

No pressure. I'm just always curious and looking for great content.

Anyway, back to your post! Video pitching is really great. It's a pretty good stand-in for pitching in person (verbal and non-verbal aspects), yet it's done from the "safety" of your own home, and you can do multiple takes. Yup, the rules are posted. The easiest way to do it (if you don't have camera, phone, or video equip) is to use your laptop's built-in camera and microphone, and tape directly from You Tube. Cool feature.

Yes, NF includes all the Creative NF forms!

Thanks for the feedback, Jerry. I appreciate it!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
NF? Pitch? Hmmm.... I'm working on a NF right now but all I've got is an elevator pitch-- sort of. I just got started on the project about a month ago and I am greener than... well, grass. ;)

I doubt I could be polished enough to do a pitch within the week!

OTOH, this is my second NF book. My first got a publisher interested enough to fly out to talk with me about it (the company folded before they picked it up though) and ironically I used Michael Larson's book as my bible while I wrote the proposal.

Last edited:

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Dear Ruth,

That's the beauty of Pitch University. You're LEARNING. Writers show up because they KNOW they suck at pitching. ;) I would urge you not to miss this opportunity, especially since you've studied Larsen's book (and know how helpful he can be)!

By the way, when you say, "All I've got is an elevator pitch..." People use that term to mean different things. Pitches should be short. So you may already have what you need to start with.

But if not, I'm happy to point you in the right direction (plus there are lots of article at Pitch U.) You can post your pitch here or email me privately.

And someone FLEW out to meet you?! I've never, ever heard of that happening! WOW. Must've been some book. If it hasn't sold, you should pitch that one, too.

By the way, I'm updating the rules today. I learned a lot on the first PitchFest week. One of the things that will change is that you can submit more than one pitch. No problem. :) I can change that later when we're flooded with submissions.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement!

When I say I have only an elevator pitch, it's the very short explanation of what I've been working on--- the very short version. It takes about 30 seconds if I've got my energy up (otherwise my Southern drawl makes it longer).

My first NF has been overtaken by events so I doubt anyone would be interested in it any more. But thanks.

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Short Pitches

Dear Ruth,

YES! Then we're talking about the same thing. That's all you need to do in a video pitch at Pitch U (and at conferences).

At at writer's conference, at that point the agent or editor will either be interested or ask you questions to get more information.

Hope to see you at Pitch U. :)

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
But I have to look good too, and make sure I don't hiccup or pick my teeth or roll my eyes... Or say "uh" more than once! :)

Thanks! Hopefully I can master the technology to do this. :)

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Looking Presentable

LOL. Take a look at Candi's pitch. We've posted 3 versions. She did an amazing transformation based on agent feedback. :) And she now looks the part!

http://www.pitch-university.com/sch...tine-witthohn-2-authors-before-after-pit.html

Also, here's the post of her original, and the agents evaluation: http://www.pitch-university.com/sch...tine-witthohn-3-authors-pitch-their-book.html

You can do it!

But I have to look good too, and make sure I don't hiccup or pick my teeth or roll my eyes... Or say "uh" more than once! :)

Thanks! Hopefully I can master the technology to do this. :)

Last edited:

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Candi's pitch really tightened up in the final version!

I'll see if I can work a pitch up. I've got a pretty good hook but there's no way I can fill up even a minute right now with info. And too, the pitches here are fiction and mine is narrative non-fiction (biography/memoir-- it's a hybrid, I know.) Out on a limb time here!!! :)

Thanks, Diane!

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Going For It

Yay! I'm so glad you're going for it. And remember, the goal is to NOT fill up a minute. This is a huge problem for fiction writers. ;)

Write me if you need any help or encouragement.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know--I've got a paranormal erotic suspense making the rounds of agents and it's no where near as succinct as this one. ;)

But seriously, this NF won't even be finished until this time next year. The climax happens in Ljubljana in December...

I'll be dropping you a line, I'm sure.

Diane Holmes

Founder Pitch University
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pitch-university.com
Pitching at PitchU

Dear Ruth,

All you have to do when pitching an unfinished project is say upfront, in your Pitch, "This is a practice pitch." That's the beauty of Pitch U. Learn now regardless of project completion. :)

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Booktown/Treetown, USA (AKA Ann Arbor, MI)
Pitch University sounds great! I will check it out!

I am also hoping we can get back to the original topic of this thread, conferences for nonfiction writers. I would love to know about any conferences out there!

...The only nonfiction conference I know about is ASJA two hours away in New York City and that's too far and too expensive. ...

I Googled ASJA and found this site:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
http://www.asja.org/
They have an upcoming conference:
April 29-May 1, 2011
40th Annual ASJA Conference
New York, NY

It looks like the first day of the conference is for members only, and one has to already be an established journalist or author to become a member. I don't know if it would be worth attending if one couldn't go to the members only events. Anyone have any experience with this conference?

Lia_joy

Registered
Reaction score
Nice! I'll be bookmarking this sight and combing through it when I have more time. So much of the material I'm finding is for fiction -- much can still be applied of course, but it's great to have some NF specific resources! Thanks :)

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Booktown/Treetown, USA (AKA Ann Arbor, MI)
You are welcome, Diane!

By the way, I participated in the latest round of critiques at Pitch University (I was the writer of the Michael Jackson biography), and I appreciate the feedback I received. I want to encourage other writers here to try out Pitch University!

Status
Not open for further replies.