PDA

View Full Version : I am Number Four

Smileycat
02-18-2011, 04:41 AM
A whole bunch of shorts on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamnumberfour?v=h_FZmbAjv9A&feature=pyv&ad=9800820829&kw=youtube%20com%20octanetv#p/u/0/EGNf9mrK5aA

I'm not so sure it is different enough, but I will watch it.

Kitty Pryde
02-18-2011, 04:51 AM
The previews look good, but the book was awful with horriblesauce, so I'll be skipping it. The premise is laughably terrible and the MC hideously annoying. If you were taxed with protecting the earth from evil aliens and one day avenge your whole destroyed planet, and you knew said evil aliens were actively hunting you down, would you really spend half the novel in a big emo mope because you don't get to spend enough time with your girlfriend? Barf. Darn you James Frey! Also, why does the 15 year old protagonist look like he's 25?

I do like the dog though.

Calla Lily
02-18-2011, 04:53 AM
It's the product of James Frey's writers' sweatshop (http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/69474/).

I don't give money to support scumbags.

Kitty Pryde
02-18-2011, 05:00 AM
How weird. And what a nasty attitude towards genre and YA fiction. That would explain the ham-fisted use of superhero and alien and YA tropes in general.

jamesn65
02-18-2011, 05:08 AM
I will give the movie a try, but the book bordered on unreadable for me. Hoping that the movie veers in a different (better) direction.

MissMacchiato
02-18-2011, 05:08 AM
the only reason I want to watch it is the protag looks quite attractive and would be pleasurable to look at for the 110 minutes of screen time.

I've never read the book and I have no doubt the premise is flimsy and ridiculous, so I doubt I will be particularly disappointed.

Cyia
02-18-2011, 05:28 AM
Yes, the book was terrible. It read like a "how not to" guide for 1st person. I think I made it through 3 pages.

The tag line is brilliant, but the material... meh...

jamesn65
02-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Yes, the book was terrible. It read like a "how not to" guide for 1st person. I think I made it through 3 pages.

The tag line is brilliant, but the material... meh...

I wonder if it was sold on the tagline ;)

Jamesaritchie
02-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Unreadable book, and if James Frey is attached, not a penny of my money is going that way.

dragonjax
02-18-2011, 08:33 AM
It's the product of James Frey's writers' sweatshop (http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/69474/).

This. A thousand times, this.

nighttimer
02-18-2011, 10:10 AM
"I Am Number Four" sounds more like Number Two. :e2tomato:

Celia Cyanide
02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
OK! I thought I was the only one who thought this look like excrement! But then again, I thought the same thing about Twilight, so what do I know?

roseangel
02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
First place I heard of the movie was here:
http://kippurbird.livejournal.com/468877.html

He also does sporking/analysis of books, like the Eragon series and Twilight.
Most likely the only way I'll read the book.
And the only way I'll see the movie is if AgonyBooth does a recap of it.

Flint
02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I Am Number Four should get an award for editing and music on their trailer. I doubt the actual film is anywhere near as good.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I Am Number Four should get an award for editing and music on their trailer. I doubt the actual film is anywhere near as good.I dunno. That part with the worst girl from Glee speaking the very important line always hits me like a two-by-four over the head (of course, every Speilberg movie since ET has affected me that way).

shawkins
02-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Tnx for posting this.

I'd more or less forgotten who Frey was, and I had no idea he was involved in I am Number Four. I'll skip the movie (I was planning to see it at some point). Also I've upgraded Frey from "forgettable scumbag" to "scumbag to keep an eye out for."

James81
02-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Just out of curiosity (and this question is for everybody who says James Frey is a scumbag or won't send a dime of their money his way)....

What would he have to do to redeem himself in your eyes? I'm just curious because he did one thing like over a decade ago now and some peeps here have pretty much blacklisted him for it. So, what would it take for someone who did what he did to redeem himself in your eyes or for you to let go of it and give him a second chance?

(For the record, my name is James but I'm not THAT James...lest there be any confusion. :tongue)

shawkins
02-18-2011, 07:18 PM
After reading the NYT article, he'd have to cure cancer or somesuch before I'd give him another chance.

You're right, the made up memoir was quite a while ago. Also, FWIW, I was never as worked up about it as some perople were. However, the sort of shenanigans described in the NYT article are current and ongoing. Those coupled with Frey's historic shenanigans strongly suggest to me that he's the sort of hustler I used to see a lot of during the dot-com boom. That sort of person brings no value to any transaction and should be avoided at all costs.

<shrug> He got his second chance when I forgot who he was sometime between the Oprah debacle and this morning. Then I read the article. At this point I've given all the benefit of doubt that I ever intend to. YMMV.

Calla Lily
02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
He'd have to write a book all on his own that is what it says it is. IOW, if it's fiction, query it as such. If it's a NF misery memoir about his A Million Little Pieces debacle, query it as such. Stand or fall by your own efforts like the rest of us

As it stands, he's like a con artist who gets caught, goes underground for awhile till (he hopes) people forget the con, and then pops up again with a shiny new storefront to see how many new marks he can bilk.

My objection here is not that he tried to pass off a fiction piece as a memoir and hoodwinked tons of people. He got caught. One would think he'd learn a lesson and move on. Instead, he's shown his true colors: he's not a writer, he's a con artist. He's preying on the dreams of hungry unpublished writers with a hideous contract--and taking the lion's share of the credit and the cash. He's the sweatshop manager in his air-conditioned office using the products of the grunts to swell his private bank account.

James81
02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
After reading the NYT article, he'd have to cure cancer or somesuch before I'd give him another chance.

You're right, the made up memoir was quite a while ago. Also, FWIW, I was never as worked up about it as some perople were. However, the sort of shenanigans described in the NYT article are current and ongoing. Those coupled with Frey's historic shenanigans strongly suggest to me that he's the sort of hustler I used to see a lot of during the dot-com boom. That sort of person brings no value to any transaction and should be avoided at all costs.

<shrug> He got his second chance when I forgot who he was sometime between the Oprah debacle and this morning. Then I read the article. At this point I've given all the benefit of doubt that I ever intend to. YMMV.

What's in that article? (Currently blocked for me.)

I see he's got a new book coming out this year, though. And I think he's going to offend anybody he didn't get the last go around with it. :tongue

Jcomp
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
He's essentially bringing record industry executive ethics to the publishing industry. Worrisome? Most likely...

James81
02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
He'd have to write a book all on his own that is what it says it is.

Behold! The day of redemption is here! (http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Shiny-Morning-James-Frey/dp/0061573132)

:tongue

James81
02-18-2011, 08:12 PM
The thing about his memoir, though, is this. I think his book has done far more good than harm. I know that when I read it, I read it during a very volatile and rough time in my life and the story itself (whether it was true or not) really lifted me. I found myself in tears many times reading the story and when I found out he embellished some of it it didn't really matter to me. Sure, I thought that if someone felt cheated they should be able to bring their book back to the store and get a refund and that he should pay some sort of fine for doing above that (not sure what his actual punishment was).

But as for the work itself? It helped me and I know quite a few others that it helped. I imagine someone facing alcoholism could read something like that and really relate to the intensity of the feeling and the rawness of rebuilding your life.

So, from my perspective, I think the book is doing more good than harm, which is why I think that you lay out whatever punishment comes with doing that and then you forgive him and move on.

Celia Cyanide
02-18-2011, 09:29 PM
The thing about his memoir, though, is this. I think his book has done far more good than harm.

I can't agree or disagree with this, as I have not read it. But even knowing what I know about Frey, I think it's quite possible that you are right. I would recommend anyone read what Stephen King has to say about it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1155752,00.html

King knows a thing or two about being a writer, and he knows a thing or two about being an addict.

Ask an alcoholic what time it is, 9 times out of 10, he'll lie to you. And if his girlfriend killed herself by slashing her wrists, (always assuming their was a girlfriend) he may say she hung herself instead. Why? Bascially to stay in training. It's the Liar's Disease.

I don't know much about Frey, but I am a big fan of the work of JT Leroy. I think it is unfortunate that everyone looked at that situation and assumed it was all a hoax designed to make money. First of all, people who only want to make lots of money do not write novels. It is probably the worst get rich quick scheme imaginable. Secondly, what I saw was not a calculated attempt to scam the public, but a woman who had such a painful life that she could not say out loud what happened to her, so she invented a male persona so that she could speak in third person about her trauma.

Having said all of that, I still don't wanna see this movie, but only because I think it looks really lame.

James81
02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I can't agree or disagree with this, as I have not read it. But even knowing what I know about Frey, I think it's quite possible that you are right. I would recommend anyone read what Stephen King has to say about it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1155752,00.html

King knows a thing or two about being a writer, and he knows a thing or two about being an addict.

Ask an alcoholic what time it is, 9 times out of 10, he'll lie to you. And if his girlfriend killed herself by slashing her wrists, (always assuming their was a girlfriend) he may say she hung herself instead. Why? Bascially to stay in training. It's the Liar's Disease.

I don't know much about Frey, but I am a big fan of the work of JT Leroy. I think it is unfortunate that everyone looked at that situation and assumed it was all a hoax designed to make money. First of all, people who only want to make lots of money do not write novels. It is probably the worst get rich quick scheme imaginable. Secondly, what I saw was not a calculated attempt to scam the public, but a woman who had such a painful life that she could not say out loud what happened to her, so she invented a male persona so that she could speak in third person about her trauma.

Having said all of that, I still don't wanna see this movie, but only because I think it looks really lame.

Yeah, that's so true. I actually used to do that myself (lie a lot). I'd lie about the stupidest things too. Like, my parents (when I was a teen) would have dinner ready when I got home and, even though I had just grabbed fast food on the way home from college, I'd tell them I hadn't eaten and I'd sit down and eat (even though I was full already) with them. I know what it's like to tell a silly lie (lies that are meaningless).

I kinda agree with you about how lame it looks, but I love the actual act of going to the movie theater and this movie sorta fits the bill of what I'm into, so I'll prolly go see it this weekend sometime.

Jcomp
02-18-2011, 09:48 PM
I actually thought the trailer looked halfway decent and action-packed, but the underlying lameness / "Twilight with aliens" element still came through. So instead I think I'm going to go watch Liam Neeson in Taken 2: The Taken Identity this weekend...

Celia Cyanide
02-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah, that's so true. I actually used to do that myself (lie a lot). I'd lie about the stupidest things too. Like, my parents (when I was a teen) would have dinner ready when I got home and, even though I had just grabbed fast food on the way home from college, I'd tell them I hadn't eaten and I'd sit down and eat (even though I was full already) with them. I know what it's like to tell a silly lie (lies that are meaningless).

I can understand why people would be bothered by what Frey did, but I can't help but feel like we have an attitude in our society that lying is always bad and telling the truth is always good, and there is no grey area. I can forgive someone who lies because it is a symptom of their mental illness, for example, more easily than I can forgive someone who tells an unsolicited truth just to hurt someone.

DennyCrane
02-19-2011, 06:33 AM

He's the Bernie Madoff of publishing.

dragonjax
02-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I can understand why people would be bothered by what Frey did, but I can't help but feel like we have an attitude in our society that lying is always bad and telling the truth is always good, and there is no grey area. I can forgive someone who lies because it is a symptom of their mental illness, for example, more easily than I can forgive someone who tells an unsolicited truth just to hurt someone.

My aversion to Frey isn't because of the PIECES snafu from a few years ago. It's because of the horrific contract he offers to MFA writing students. He's little better than any other scammer out there. Sure, you could argue that the students should know better than to sign a contract without understanding all the implications, but publishing contracts can be very confusing -- that's one of the reasons why I have an agent: to review contracts for me and help me understand the terms -- and students usually don't have someone trained in contract review helping them before they sign. And he should definitely know better.

This isn't lying. It's taking massive advantage of writers, and I cannot condone that.

smcc360
02-19-2011, 09:23 PM
What would he have to do to redeem himself in your eyes?

Stop trying to screw naive MFA students with a contract that would make Mephisto shuffle his feet and avoid eye contact when he hands you the pen.

Like dragonjax, I could care less about A Million Little Pieces. Maybe that was fraud, but it wasn't an outright targeted con the way Full Fathom Five is.

Celia Cyanide
02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Like dragonjax, I could care less about A Million Little Pieces. Maybe that was fraud, but it wasn't an outright targeted con the way Full Fathom Five is.

I'm sure that's probably true of both of you. But I remember very clearly the reaction around here when the news about A Million Little Pieces broke.

scarletpeaches
02-20-2011, 12:43 AM
COULDN'T care less. It's COULDN'T care less.

I mean, if you're going to criticise another writer...

Smileycat
02-20-2011, 01:46 AM
The previews look good, but the book was awful with horriblesauce, so I'll be skipping it. The premise is laughably terrible and the MC hideously annoying. If you were taxed with protecting the earth from evil aliens and one day avenge your whole destroyed planet, and you knew said evil aliens were actively hunting you down, would you really spend half the novel in a big emo mope because you don't get to spend enough time with your girlfriend? Barf. Darn you James Frey! Also, why does the 15 year old protagonist look like he's 25?

I do like the dog though.

Ah, okay. I didn't read the book. Thanks for the heads up, Kitty.

Smileycat
02-20-2011, 01:48 AM

Geeze! Thanks for the heads up, lily.

Smileycat
02-20-2011, 01:49 AM
"I Am Number Four" sounds more like Number Two. :e2tomato:

lol

Smileycat
02-20-2011, 01:50 AM
First place I heard of the movie was here:
http://kippurbird.livejournal.com/468877.html

He also does sporking/analysis of books, like the Eragon series and Twilight.
Most likely the only way I'll read the book.
And the only way I'll see the movie is if AgonyBooth does a recap of it.

you've stolen my kitten, Rose! No fair! Give her back!

(kidding. She needs lots of grooming, cuddling and petting.) :)

Smileycat
02-20-2011, 01:56 AM
I actually thought the trailer looked halfway decent and action-packed, but the underlying lameness / "Twilight with aliens" element still came through. So instead I think I'm going to go watch Liam Neeson in Taken 2: The Taken Identity this weekend...

Thanks, Jcomp. I didn't know there was a Taken 2. I want to see Unknown with him in it.

nighttimer
02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm sure that's probably true of both of you. But I remember very clearly the reaction around here when the news about A Million Little Pieces broke.

With some justification as fabricating a story is just a notch below plagarism as a big no-no for most hard-working writers.

Thanks, Jcomp. I didn't know there was a Taken 2. I want to see Unknown with him in it.

There's no Taken 2, Smileycat. Not yet, but it's in the scripting phase. That was just JComp funnin' ya.

The trailer for Unknown makes it look like could be a Taken sequel. All that's missing is Liam saying, "I have a very special set of skills..."

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-20-2011, 10:27 AM
The trailer for Unknown makes it look like could be a Taken sequel. All that's missing is Liam saying, "I have a very special set of skills..."Or, "You stole the wrong identity."

Smileycat
02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
With some justification as fabricating a story is just a notch below plagarism as a big no-no for most hard-working writers.

There's no Taken 2, Smileycat. Not yet, but it's in the scripting phase. That was just JComp funnin' ya.

The trailer for Unknown makes it look like could be a Taken sequel. All that's missing is Liam saying, "I have a very special set of skills..."

I am redfaced, nighttimer. Thanks for setting me straight.

I hear what you're saying about Unknown, but I like him and want to see it.

Celia Cyanide
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM

My husband (who was not my husband at the time, but just someone who posted on the forum whom I had never met) dared say that he still liked the book even after he learned that the story wasn't entirely true. People were basically telling him that it made them wonder if he lied all the time in his life, and in the memoir he was working on. I read the first chapter of A Million Little Pieces, and found it too choppy. He liked it. It wasn't cause for me to question his honesty. I think the reaction was a little over the top.

smcc360
02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
COULDN'T care less. It's COULDN'T care less.

I mean, if you're going to criticise another writer...

No, I could probably care a little less than I do.

And I wasn't criticizing his writing, or that of the students. Just his ethics and their business sense.

Unless you meant Mephisto. His writing, I ain't a fan of.

Smileycat
03-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Believe it or not, I finally saw I Am Number Four. The story was formulaic - nothing new about it, really. Didn't care for it, except for the doggie.

I always like Timothy Oliphant (ever since Dreamcatcher), and I liked Teresa Palmer who played Number Six. She's perfect as an action star. The rest of the cast was okay.

Should you see it? I give it 2 stars.

RIFF
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Non-memorable. 2 stars it is.