PDA

View Full Version : Pyr Unagented Submissions- professional rates

renesears
02-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Pyr, an imprint of Prometheus Books
www.pyrsf.com (http://www.pyrsf.com)

Unagented submissions: Email submissions only. We prefer novels in the 100-150k length for adult fiction- please, no submissions shorter than 85k. We are looking for adult fantasy in the subgenres of epic fantasy, sword & sorcery, steampunk, and contemporary/urban fantasy. No horror, science fiction, or slipstream.

We are looking for speculative Young Adult fiction in any subgenre. These manuscripts may be shorter.

Only full manuscripts accepted—no partials or outlines. Please send an email which includes your name, address, telephone number, and a one to three paragraph synopsis of your work, along with the manuscript attached as a Word doc or RTF file, to RSears at prometheusbooks dot com. Note that due to the volume of submissions a detailed reply in the case of a rejection may not be possible (and is unlikely).

Formatting: Please ensure that your manuscript conforms to standard manuscript formatting requirements- double spaced, 12 point Courier or TNR preferred.

Payment: advance, plus royalties.

MeeMee2000
02-19-2011, 07:07 AM
I submitted last year. They rejected it, however, since then I made a lot of major changes to the novel. I wonder if they'd notice it was a previous reject, if I resubmit it. Hmmmm....

thothguard51
02-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you for the info. I just might give them another shot. I had a good experience with Renee Sears, very professional.

smcc360
02-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Very interesting. Pyr puts out consistently great stuff.

MeeMee2000
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
We are looking for speculative Young Adult fiction in any subgenre.

I noticed Rene put "speculative" in bold. Does anyone know what this means? Aren't all written novels speculative unless the writer was hired to write it? I'm confused...

Izz
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I noticed Rene put "speculative" in bold. Does anyone know what this means? Aren't all written novels speculative unless the writer was hired to write it? I'm confused...MeeMee, speculative is a term used to encompass science fiction, fantasy (and, to a lesser degree, horror) and all their sub-genres.

Here's a decent overview: Wikipedia--Speculative Fiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_fiction)

MeeMee2000
03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Izz! That helps! My novel falls under the umbrella so I'm covered. Whew!

CaoPaux
03-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I noticed Rene put "speculative" in bold. Does anyone know what this means? Aren't all written novels speculative unless the writer was hired to write it? I'm confused...The term you're thinking of is "on spec", which is short for "on speculation", not speculative.

YAwriter72
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Can you tell me where you got the guildelines? I went to the site and saw nothing re: YA? Thanks!

renesears
03-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi, YA Writer. The YA guidelines are not on the site yet, but I'm the editorial assistant there. I would love to see more YA submissions.

YAwriter72
03-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi, YA Writer. The YA guidelines are not on the site yet, but I'm the editorial assistant there. I would love to see more YA submissions.

Thanks so much for the info! I forwarded it to my agent to see if she thinks its a fit! :)

Chris P
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Nice to see a well-thought-of publisher advertising here. Er, not "advertising" as such, but you know what I mean.

Too bad it's not my genre :( Best of luck!

Calla Lily
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
They publish some good stuff. It may be silly of me, but I would be so thrilled to see an AWer get accepted! They are, literally, two blocks down and two blocks over from my house. It'd be like a little hometown squee. :D

Anne Lyle
03-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Pyr do some great work (I've listened to interviews with Lou Anders), but my book is probably too much like the Elizabethan spy series they bought from Mark Chadbourn, so I didn't look into them any further.

MeretSeger
03-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I notice the reference to looking for YA seems to have disappeared from the site? Anyone know about that? I was waiting for the guidelines, then poof...

MeeMee2000
03-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Did you happen to notice Rene's post #10 above?

Unless you're saying that the guidelines were added and later removed...?

MeretSeger
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Did you happen to notice Rene's post #10 above?

Unless you're saying that the guidelines were added and later removed...?

Never mind! I hadn't noticed that the original post was from her. I thought that what was posted was directly from the submissions page for Pyr and was looking for that...

Thanks for focusing me.

beckahrah
03-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks promising! If the Angry Robots thing doesn't work out, I may have to send my stuff your way

Erin
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Never mind! I hadn't noticed that the original post was from her. I thought that what was posted was directly from the submissions page for Pyr and was looking for that...

Thanks for focusing me.

When they opened to unagented subs last year, their guidelines did include a line about YA subs as I copied it on my spreadsheet. You're right in that it appears to have disappeared from their guidelines and I wondered about it last week. But I'm definitely going by what Rene says in this thread and subbing my YA UF to her!

tanstaafl8
09-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Submitted my YA Sci-Fi dystopian to Rene a couple of days ago. A buddy of mine is published by Pyr and loves them. I hope that my story is a fit. Will keep you posted!

thothguard51
09-05-2011, 03:43 AM
I would just like to add a attaboy to Pry's Editor, Lou Adler for his Hugo win for editing. I think this was like his third nomination and he finally got the win.

Way to go Lou...

AllieKat
09-05-2011, 05:13 AM
This sounds like an awesome publisher! I'm really interested in reading one of their books, too. Thanks for the link!

Patty
04-08-2019, 10:03 PM
"Unagented submissions: Please note that we no longer accept unagented submissions."

http://www.pyrsf.com/contact.html

MKnightium
04-09-2019, 06:25 AM
Wait, so I can't submit anymore as a result of the "unagented submissions no longer being accepted" thing or...is that just a glitch? I just heard of this entry today and I'm hoping I'm not too late to make some headway towards it.

Patty
04-09-2019, 08:19 AM
I believe they no longer accept submissions except from agents. I could be wrong, but that's why I added the link. Check with them directly to be certain, I guess?

There are some other options out there, though, too, so all is not lost! :)

MKnightium
04-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Ah, I see. Well, I don't have access to an agent so, I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Patty
04-10-2019, 06:06 PM
If you google on 'presses that accept unagented submissions" you'll find lists.

You'll need to go through one by one to carefully screen them for your specific purpose/genre, their legitimacy, etc.

It took me a few days to work through this, and was tedious, but now I've got about 15 presses identified and some look quite good.

Harlequin
04-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Pyr has been unavailable to unagented submissions for a fair while, I think.

I'm on sub to them via agent atm.