A somewhat unique "nudge" situation

Alegranssa

La vérité est dans le vin !
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pambiance.com
Apologies in advance for the length of this – I would love some opinions on this situation: I have a completed novel m/s, I’ve been sending it out for a couple of years with encouraging responses but no bites yet. Last fall, I attended a writers’ conference and submitted the first 50 pages of the m/s in advance for an agent’s critique (one of the services offered at the conference). I went to meet with the agent to whom I’d been assigned (who, as it turned out, is high on my list of desirable agents), and he said, “I have only one thing to say. Send me the whole thing.” He hadn’t changed a HAIR of my m/s, not a single comma; he absolutely loved it, gave me his business card, etc. I was on Cloud 9 the rest of the conference (and fairly worthless for it, LOL). I got home, reviewed the m/s one more time, sent it to him in its entirety as a Word doc, as requested; that was early December. Since then, I have dropped two e-mails to him, very polite, asking about its status, and I received no response. (When we were at the conference, he was very friendly and approachable and we ran into each other frequently, so I felt comfortable sending nudges; normally, I don’t do that unless I have a concrete reason, like another agent wants to see the m/s, etc.) Meanwhile, I’ve been reading on Publisher’s Marketplace that his agency has been very active with lots of deals lately; two of them were under his name, nonfiction. I know the news could go either way, and certainly 2-3 months isn’t a super-long time when waiting for response on these things. I guess I feel more anxious about it since it’s not the same as a “cold query” – he specifically requested it after expressing significant admiration for the first portion. It seems a little strange to not hear anything for so long under those circumstances, but maybe it’s not. So I was wondering if anyone here has gone through something like this. I’ve never had anything published yet, so I don’t know what’s involved on the agent’s end of things; if it’s been this long, could he still be considering me? (I know that’s kind of a silly question; nobody can know for sure what’s going on.) Thanks in advance for any thoughts! Sorry if this subject has been hashed out ad nauseam somewhere in here; I thought my circumstances were just different enough to bring it up :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
When you sent the full, did you mention in the subject line of the email that it was requested material? That's important. Otherwise it could languish for years. (Only kidding on the years part. Sort of.)

Also, two months isn't usually that long a period of time for a requested full. It can take three to four months.

If you do nudge him, only do it once, mentioning you met at the conference, he requested the full, mention the title of the ms.

Alegranssa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pambiance.com
Thanks for the input -- yes, he requested to receive it as a Word file attachment to an e-mail, and I put something about requested material in the Subject line. Maybe I just need to be more patient ... their agency is obviously busy! :)

Alegranssa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pambiance.com
Oh I'm definitely keeping busy -- too many ideas and projects, not enough time. (That pesky, necessary day job!) I've just started sending it out again, to a couple of competitions and publishers looking for manuscripts; haven't sent it to any other agents yet.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Firstly, well done on the request for full! No wonder you were on Cloud 9!

Secondly - yes, agents can be slow, but apparently up to six months is normal on a full ms. It takes time to read a novel, and he'll probably want to give it his full attention and read it straight through without too many interruptions - and finding a big chunk of time like that is hard for anyone.

You have my sympathy - it's only two weeks since I sent my full to my dream agent, and I know not to expect a response for a while yet (he did say "weeks, not months"), but it's still nerve-wracking!

Alegranssa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pambiance.com
Thank you, Anne - it is hard to wait! I've actually come really close with this m/s several times; I've had a few agents request the whole thing, only to reject it (extremely kindly - one of them even offered very helpful suggestions that I know made it a better book). I've tweaked it with each rejection, so I'm hoping maybe now it's finally ready for a home :) Best of luck on your waiting, too!