Need Ebook Cover

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Look around at DeviantArt and the likes for styles you like and contact the artists, ask them how much they'd want for a cover in those styles. Or maybe they'll just license one of those images for you. (Hint: Mine's here. :D)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
So what is the going rate for an ebook cover? Are we talking $50 or are we talking $500. Obviously, I know it depends on the artist but what's the ball park?

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently designing covers for only $35 since my business is newer. They're of high-quality, but of course you should judge for yourself. :) URL in my signature.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Jamie, it really depends entirely on the artist and what the market will bear. Enita, above, offers to do a cover fir you for $35. I got mine (seen as my avvie) for $100. Renowned scifi and fantasy artist Bob Eggleton could demand far higher prices (I wouldn't be surprised at seeing an Eggleton cover starting at $2 grand and up).

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Jamie, it really depends entirely on the artist and what the market will bear. Enita, above, offers to do a cover fir you for $35. I got mine (seen as my avvie) for $100. Renowned scifi and fantasy artist Bob Eggleton could demand far higher prices (I wouldn't be surprised at seeing an Eggleton cover starting at $2 grand and up).

$2000 was about average for any book cover art ten, twenty years ago. I bet Bob Eggleton commands more than that.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
My wife has done a bunch of covers. She gets about $100 a cover. All her clients now are regulars. A large part of the time is simply the communication between her and the client. Scetches going back and forth or requests for changes are made. She starts higher but once they know and trust each other and have a good communication the price drops considerably.

Elvirnith

Dark Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronaldcraft.com
I found my cover artist on DeviantArt, as well. He did a fantastic job, and I'm going to be using him for my other covers, as well as promotional art as well. It's the little screenshot in my sig, but if you want to see a larger version of the cover click the thumbnail below.

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
I've done some of my own in Paint.Net. I'm also lucky enough in that my fiance is an amateur graphic artist and does amazing work. (Seriously, I know I'm obligated to say that, but even if I wasn't I'd still say it. She's really quite good.)

EDIT: I forgot to put my point in, sorry. Paint.net isn't that hard to use (and it's free), and there are a lot of tutorials and how tos on the internet and if I can generate a salable cover (they are selling slowly but fairly steadily. Not enough to live off of yet) then I reckon most anyone can. I'd also note, my covers are all for shorts and I refuse to pay $100 or even $50 for the cover of a short story. A collection, quite possibly, a novel, yes if I had to, but for a short story? Nope. Not going to happen.

My. .02

Last edited:

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I'm dipping my foot into the cover foray.

I did my own:

WinterRose_sm.jpg.w300h447.jpg

and I'm willing to do others. Since I'm just starting out I won't be charging professional numbers. But this is what's involved (ie: what you're paying for):

1. the image (some sites--iStock, SutterStock--sell rights to photos or art, or you can purchase rights direct. This can range in price from $25 to $500, depending on the image/originator)

2. the time (what amount of time does the designer spend on the project)

Here's another one I've done:

LoveCover_sm_500.jpg

I'm also a pencil artist and have a DeviantArt account:

http://thepix.deviantart.com/

:D

Last edited: