PDA

View Full Version : You should have the proofs now

JennaGlatzer
10-14-2005, 01:31 AM
I just sent everybody an e-mail with the details of what's going on with charities and the final manuscript (in Rich Text format) so you can proofread your piece.

Sharyn, I got a bounceback from your account saying it's over quota.

Anyone else who doesn't have it within the next half-hour or so, let me know.

rtilryarms
10-14-2005, 02:27 AM
WOW!

Congratulations everyone!
Good job.

aka eraser
10-14-2005, 02:42 AM
I got mine and my name's spelled right. No complaints here. ;)

biotales
10-14-2005, 02:47 AM
I got mine and my name's spelled right. No complaints here. ;)
I got mine.... hummmmmmmmmmm
some made me cry....

Rose colored glasses
10-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Mine is A-ok, and I read some others. This is one magnificent book!

The apporval issue is beyond frustrating. My only concern is that we won't be taken as seriously without a specific charity named. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Shwebb
10-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Weeping my way through it right now . . . :cry:

(Don't worry, it's a good cry!)

Ken Schneider
10-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Got mine, and read mine, and sent my reply back. Blizzards and Friends is good to go.

I fine with the charity thing as well.

I'm not going to read any of the stories until I can do so in book form.
There is something about fresh ink, and turning open the first page with a cup of hot chocolate and crackling hearth that turns me on.

Ken

biotales
10-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Ok, everyone over to Kens house for a cup of hot cocoa... Who will be the first to read...
:idea:

awatkins
10-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Echoing Mike's WOW! What an awesome collection of stories. Great, great writing, everybody!

My story's good to go, Jenna. Name's spelled right and everything. :)

ChunkyC
10-14-2005, 03:17 AM
Mine's fine too. I know it's not fully formatted yet, but what a buzz seeing it in a nice font and with real honest-to-goodness italics instead of underlines!

I'm not going to read any of the stories until I can do so in book form.
There is something about fresh ink, and turning open the first page with a cup of hot chocolate and crackling hearth that turns me on.
You a-speekin' mah lanwidge!

Rose colored glasses
10-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Mmmmmmm...hot cocoa.:Coffee: It will go well with the home made pumpkin pie with whipped cream.:banana:

KimJo
10-14-2005, 03:29 AM
You guys are making me hungry :)

My story was received, reread, and returned. Like Ken, I don't want to read anyone else's story till I actually have the book. It's too hard to read from the computer screen.

September skies
10-14-2005, 03:31 AM
:) Jenna - It's touching!

As far as I am concerned, send the proceeds wherever you see fit. (but I did change my bio slightly. I emailed it to you.)

September skies
10-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Hot cocoa sounds great! What a party that would be.... listening to all these touching, beautiful stories.

ChunkyC
10-14-2005, 03:41 AM
I just have to beat Ray to the punch with this....

Hey, bro ... they spelled your name Wong.

*rimshot*

biotales
10-14-2005, 03:43 AM
I just have to beat Ray to the punch with this....

Hey, bro ... they spelled your name Wong.

*rimshot*
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Alphabet
10-14-2005, 04:01 AM
:D Too funny!!!

I've returned a comment about mine, as I think there is something I do need to mention about how it is supposed to be presented.

I've also returned you my full support and confidence.

Alphabet
10-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Sort of relevant -

Let's welcome a new definition to the English language:

Jenna-rosity, Acts of generous (Jenna-rous) nature taken to the fullest extreme possible.

ChunkyC
10-14-2005, 04:30 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

JAlpha
10-14-2005, 04:49 AM
Got it. Read it. Loved it. Thumbs up on the multiple charities. My poem and bio are good to go.

Thank you, Jenna, http://www.chip.co.id/forum/images/smilies/extra/yourock.gif (http://www.chip.co.id/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies#)

It was a pleasure to be a contributor and editor regarding this project.

Vanessa
10-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Jenna, thanks got mine too. This is such a good book.

My only change was in my BIO, which I still missed a letter in my email address...it's vjkyles at inkbutter.com The other edits of the bio is in the email I sent. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone else for great stories.

"Group Hug Again" :Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

jdkiggins
10-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Got mine, Jenna. "Perseverance" is good to go. Name and bio fine as well.

I started reading the stories and used the last of the box of Kleenex I had by my chair. Think I'd better wait to read more, but I can't wait to have the copy in my hands.

Jean Marie
10-14-2005, 05:52 AM
I'm waiting 'til I've got my copy in hand too. Hey, Ken, hope you have lots of hot chocolate on handhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonwag.gif

Jenna and Mac-a stellar job by both of youhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gifI am thrilled beyond belief to be a part of such an amazing book and to be in the company of all of youhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonheart.gif

Moondancer
10-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Got mine, Jenna. "Perseverance" is good to go. Name and bio fine as well.

I started reading the stories and used the last of the box of Kleenex I had by my chair. Think I'd better wait to read more, but I can't wait to have the copy in my hands.

*gives half of the 4th of a box she has left to Joane* I'll use my hubby's shirt if I run out, :)

Mine is good to go as well. Everything present and accounted for.

JennaGlatzer
10-14-2005, 06:22 AM
I :heart: you guys.

:)

Thank you for the overwhelming support... and the super-fast responses! I'm making lots of little changes/corrections right now.

Vanessa
10-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Sort of relevant -

Jenna-rosity, Acts of generous (Jenna-rous) nature taken to the fullest extreme possible.

That's really cute and creative.

Sarita
10-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Jenna- 2 things. I trust you implicitly with the cashola. You're the boss.

Right now I'm on three pages, but just my bio leaks over to the third. I've been thinking about a few more edits. Would it kill you at this point for me to change it up a bit? Just a few words or lines here and there, but it might make the difference of bringing it down to just 2 pages w/bio. What'dya think? If you say no, I'm fine with it as is. But if you'd like to cut down one more page, I'm there Girly. :)

Okay, one last thing: I can't wait to read the whole thing. I've only read a few and they are wonderful!!!

mommie4a
10-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Recovering from fasting and praying for forgiveness all day.

I printed it out and will look over and get back to you here tomorrow - I think it's probably fine. :)

As for charities, I'm confident that you understand where to draw the line. My only thought is whether you'd be able to point to some other accepted entity or list, like you mentioned something called Charity navigator? I forget - sorry. But if we could assure buyers that whomever gets the $$ has been approved by some other well-respected agency (like the way schools get accredited by some agency so you know the school meets certain standards?) that might help.

If that's too tough - I'm happy with you making the call. Thanks for asking for the input.

JennaGlatzer
10-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Jenna- 2 things. I trust you implicitly with the cashola.

Mwahahahahaha! Now I'm donating it all to Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus (http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/)! Or possibly People for the Ethical Treatment of Pumpkins (http://www.geocities.com/petpu4/) (PETPU).

Kidding. I promise.

Jill: Yep, I'm researching and figuring that out right now.

Susie
10-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Sure sorry you had that hassle with the Red-Cross, Jenna. Wherever you give the monies will be great! Thanks much for everyone's hard work.

My poem is good to go also and my biography and you spelled my name right, which rarely happens. Thanks so much, Jenna. Hope the anthology is a bestseller! From what I've read so far, they're wonderful!

paprikapink
10-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Sort of relevant -

ooooooh, Alphabet. I wish I was wunna those folks who can kick out a six-pack of rep points at a go. This is too good!

It's so Jenna!

mdin
10-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey, don't knock the tree octopus!

I'm certain the author in question has caught this, but I noticed my favorite actual title in the book got "fixed." "Legless But Undefeated" By Claudia Ann Sodaro was "Legless but Undefeeted" in that original list you sent.

Sarita
10-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Mwahahahahaha! Now I'm donating it all to Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus (http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/)! Or possibly People for the Ethical Treatment of Pumpkins (http://www.geocities.com/petpu4/) (PETPU). Haha. I was thinking maybe Alanna's group PETOL (http://www.angelfire.com/movies/petol/). People for the Ethical Treatment of umpaLumpas. Poor little guys, having to work with Johnny Depp all the time. How do they handle all the charm and hotness?

MacAllister
10-14-2005, 09:26 AM
The tree octopus is a very worthy cause. People don't understand how important these things are--but the whole eco-system of the Olympic Peninsula hinges on preserving the specialized habitat of these little guys--and preventing tourists from just taking them home to stick 'em into terrariums.

aruna
10-14-2005, 09:40 AM
I just sent everybody an e-mail with the details of what's going on with charities and the final manuscript (in Rich Text format) so you can proofread your piece.

Sharyn, I got a bounceback from your account saying it's over quota.

Anyone else who doesn't have it within the next half-hour or so, let me know.

I haven't got mine, Jenna.

AdamH
10-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Mwahahahahaha! Now I'm donating it all to Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus (http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/)! Or possibly People for the Ethical Treatment of Pumpkins (http://www.geocities.com/petpu4/) (PETPU).

Those poor pumpkins! I their world they call this time of year the "Cutting Season of Death". I say Save The Pumpkins!

Oh yeah, and I got the email and sent it back to you with my bio. Everything looks great! And I support you in whatever you choose to do with the money, no problem, Jenna!

JennaGlatzer
10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
The tree octopus is a very worthy cause.

Wait, I was waiting for a smiley and there wasn't one... you know it's a parody, right? My "I know when people are kidding" meter is in the shop again.

aruna
10-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi Jenna,
Matt sent me it via email. I don't know what's the reason, but I never got yours or Matt's with the attchment; also, mailing both of you, my antivirus said "Your mail has not been sent because your server rejected the sender" da-da-da-da-da-da
ANyway, I now have it safe and sound, and thanks for all your work! Likem ost people I am not reading it til I have it properly, and I agree with whatevetr you choose to do re. charities. This is all so impressive:Hail:

rtilryarms
10-14-2005, 04:53 PM
It's octopi; unless there is a certain special octopus, to the exclusion of others, that you have in mind to be the sole beneficiary.

Rt OBO Reph

(did I do "that" right?)

Paint
10-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I trust that the powers that be will direct the cashola where it is needed. I am so awestruck and honored to be part of this mission. Thank you to all. "Jenna-rosity," indeed.

My piece and bio look great, no errors, name correct. Jenna I know your time is so full right now
--please take care.
Prayers

Good Word
10-14-2005, 07:23 PM
The tree octopus is a very worthy cause.

And tastes kinda like a rubber chicken. Mmm mmm good!

September skies
10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
WOW. Jenna, I just saw the new site for stories of strenght. Thank you Jenna, Thank you Richard Cobbett - what a great design. I absolutely love it!

This is so exciting.

To Jenna and everyone who has worked so hard.....:kiss:

awatkins
10-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Right now I'm on three pages, but just my bio leaks over to the third.

Sara, mine does this, too, but I'm thinking that Lulu will take care of that when they do their layout thing. Is this right, Jenna? Or maybe I'm just confused again. ;)

Edited to add: If anything in my story needs snipped to make it fit neatly, 'tis fine with me.

Sarita
10-14-2005, 07:59 PM
I've only read 3 stories and I'm in tears. Damn you Jenna! Damn you Ray! Damn you Jill! I can't wait to read more.

Good Word
10-14-2005, 08:37 PM
We really were trying to get the stories that leaked over a bit onto the previous page. If I could tweak things a bit that wouldn't affect the quality of the piece, or if I could tweak and make it a teensy bit better by doing so, I did. I used the track changes feature in MS Word so that Jenna could accept/reject every edit. There were a few pieces where I felt like I was affecting the story, so I stopped fiddling.

I would say that if you could fiddle a tad, to do so, but I would wait for the final word from Jenna. And if anyone wants my help before sending it to Jenna, I am happy to pitch in. But let's just see what she says first, because she's the boss!

Lisa

biotales
10-14-2005, 08:39 PM
We really were trying to get the stories that leaked over a bit onto the previous page. If I could tweak things a bit that wouldn't affect the quality of the piece, or if I could tweak and make it a teensy bit better by doing so, I did. I used the track changes feature in MS Word so that Jenna could accept/reject every edit. There were a few pieces where I felt like I was affecting the story, so I stopped fiddling.

I would say that if you could fiddle a tad, to do so, but I would wait for the final word from Jenna. And if anyone wants my help before sending it to Jenna, I am happy to pitch in. But let's just see what she says first, because she's the boss!

Lisa
I will be getting back to you and Jenna this afternoon or tonight...

awatkins
10-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Lisa. There are a few lines that could be cut from mine, but I'll wait to see if Jenna says anything. :)

aruna
10-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Lisa. There are a few lines that could be cut from mine, but I'll wait to see if Jenna says anything. :)

Same here. I'd like to tweak just a bit and am waiting for permission.

rtilryarms
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I am enjoying the submissions!

mdin
10-14-2005, 09:59 PM
I've opened up the document on two different computers, and the page count was very different (I used Word on a Mac and Word on a PC), so the widows and orphans you see may not be the same.

ChunkyC
10-14-2005, 10:42 PM
I've opened up the document on two different computers, and the page count was very different (I used Word on a Mac and Word on a PC), so the widows and orphans you see may not be the same.
Thanks for pointing that out, XNav. I opened it up in OpenOffice and some of the pages were the wrong width, so we should wait until Lulu does the initial layout based on Jenna's master copy of the book and see where everything ends up, then tweak here and there if necessary.

awatkins
10-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Okay, that makes me feel better. Whew.

maestrowork
10-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Focus on proofreading your own piece for mistakes. When we have a layout, I'm sure someone will proof it, too.

JennaGlatzer
10-15-2005, 01:32 AM
The "real" page count should be 316 or something close to that.

A few people have sent me their entire pieces again with corrections, but that's proving to be a real challenge for me to deal with because I have to reformat them then (making all the straight quotes curly, fixing the paragraph breaks, etc.). So if you have edits to make, please either just list them, like:

p. 210, 2nd para: delete "then I went"

Or, if it's too complicated that way, see if you can use the "track changes" feature in Word so I can see the corrections and make them on the master copy.

mommie4a
10-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Jenna - sent edits - just four punctuation things. Otherwise, good to go. Thank you!

awatkins
10-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Focus on proofreading your own piece for mistakes. When we have a layout, I'm sure someone will proof it, too.

Ray, the problem isn't with the story, it's with my bio, which spills over onto an extra page. That's why I was wondering if once Lulu has the manuscript, the layout will be so that it fits properly. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

e-mail on the way to jenna as i type

Good Word
10-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Anne, if you have heard back from Jenna, disregard this, but:

I spent a lot of time on your story, trying to get the bio onto the preceding page, but felt like I was changing too much so I let it be.

If you can tweak your story/bio to get it on one page, that would be great. If it is a lot, use track changes as Jenna suggested. If you want any other input, you can email me privately at Labbate@wordmountain.com.

I am travelling today but will see email in the late afternoon EST.

Lisa

Sully
10-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Jenna,

I just sent edits with one word change and a few puctuation additions.
Thank you, for all your hard work!

Mary

awatkins
10-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Hi, Lisa. Thanks for the reply! Jenna said she got it fixed up last night so all is cool. :)

rhymegirl
10-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Jenna, I sent you an email today. Essay is fine, I just wanted to change some stuff in my bio.

The book looks wonderful. I am so pleased to be part of this project.