PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2011

jamesn65
02-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Anyone want to admit that they watch? :)

I didn't see a thread on here about AI, so I thought I'd start one. What are everyone's thoughts so far? Ironically, the thing I was most worried about (ie: the judges) has turned out to be the most enjoyable thing about the season. Though I love Simon (and can't wait to see him in the far superior X-Factor), I think the new judges slotted in quite well, especially Steven Tyler.
But I'm worried about the contestants. I fear a repeat of last year, with boring singer/songwriter types lacking anything close to charisma. I couldn't even watch last year, it was so painful. I haven't seen many singers that stand out to me yet this year, but the live shows will be the real test.

seaaircarol
02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm watching. I admit it. Steven Tyler is great.

I loved all the drama last night. Looking forward to seeing the solo performances tonight.

I can't say that I have any favorites yet, though.

jamesn65
02-18-2011, 05:07 AM
There are a few of them that I want to like, but then they turn out to have douchey personalities. We'll see. I'm keeping my eye on a few of them :) (as creepy as that sounds)

cmi0616
02-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I know nobody likes admitting they watch it, but the ratings are fantastic so SOMEBODY must be tuning in. I know I am.

I can't believe they cut Emma Henry, I was really pulling for her.

Julie Worth
02-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Yep, the judges are clicking this year. Judges who know music and voice--what a clever idea!

jamesn65
02-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Yep, the judges are clicking this year. Judges who know music and voice--what a clever idea!

And Jennifer's found her golden moment with last night's "difficult" elimination. So staged, but it's media catnip.

NewKidOldKid
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't like any of the girls. I do like a few of the guys.

RobJ
02-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Watching it here in the UK. Not sure how far behind we are with the shows. Not much, I think.

seaaircarol
02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Here in the U.S., they've only just determined the top 24.

They begin the performances next week.

RobJ
02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks, saw that last night here.

seaaircarol
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you're only a day or so behind, then.

Cool!

jamesn65
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Not surprised at all with Ashthon going this week. I'm honestly surprised she was even a part of the top 13 this year. It's all about James, Paul, Lauren and Scotty for me this year.

Nightmirror
03-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Not surprised at all with Ashthon going this week. I'm honestly surprised she was even a part of the top 13 this year. It's all about James, Paul, Lauren and Scotty for me this year.

They are among the best this year. Although, I have to say that Casey, vocal wise, is pretty amazing. He was initially my favorite, and during first auditions I picked him to win the whole thing. Lately though, his attempts to pass as "sexy" have been counterproductive.

Satori1977
03-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised this season.. Almost didn't watch because last season sucked so bad. I love Steven, he is pretty funny and out there. JLo is alright, never been a big fan of hers. Never liked her music, and can say I HATE her new single. Actually walked away during the video.

My favorite is James, definitely. Part of it is that scream, like Adam Lambert (who I felt should have won two seasons ago). But most of it is just him. He makes me feel something when he sings. I have teared up a few times with him.

And Jacob is another one that has a beautiful voice and puts everything he has into a song. Always so emotional. He might not sing the type of music I listen to, but he is amazing.

Scotty is great. Love country music, and he certainly has the voice for it. Incredible that he is only 17. He will go far.

Lauren is my favorite girl. When she sang Aerosmith with Steven Tyler at her audition, she completely won me over. She can sing almost anything.

Thia also has a beautiful voice, and such control for a teenager. Pia has wowed me a few times as well. Casey is unique and fun to watch. And I like Paul. Interesting stage presence and wonderful voice.

The rest are ok. Not bad, but not really catching my attention.

Smileycat
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I USUALLY watch it after the final group goes to Hollywood, but, I admit it, I have not been able to bring myself to watch it even once this season so far. Can't really say why, except that I think the entire thing may be fixed. It's the old sneaky suspicion popping up its ugly little head.

Sigh.

RobJ
03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Great performance from Pia this week. Haven't seen the results show yet, we get it tonight.

RobJ
03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
By the way, I knew Scotty reminded me of someone. This morning I realised who it is. This guy, from MAD magazine.

http://frecklescassie.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mad_magazine_guy_-_alfred_e_bushmid.gif

seaaircarol
03-25-2011, 06:14 PM
By the way, I knew Scotty reminded me of someone. This morning I realised who it is. This guy, from MAD magazine.

http://frecklescassie.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mad_magazine_guy_-_alfred_e_bushmid.gif

LOL. There *is* a resemblance!

You should enjoy the results show. Very entertaining at the end.

RobJ
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
LOL. There *is* a resemblance!

Looking forward to it. I'll try to avoid this thread until afterwards, just in case ;)

Nightmirror
03-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Great performance from Pia this week. Haven't seen the results show yet, we get it tonight.

Yeah, she was absolutely amazing.

RobJ
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Now that was interesting. Big decision for the judges.

seaaircarol
03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I thought it was so funny the way he was swearing over and over and they had to bleep him.

I wonder if he knew what he was doing, or if he was just so flummoxed, he didn't really realize.

NewKidOldKid
03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Very surprised about America's vote. Really? I don't get it.

I don't like any of the girls. Pia has a great voice and some of the others can sing too, but they all seem very blah to me. The guys, on the other hand, are all unique in their own way. Love James, love Scotty, love Paul. Casey and Jacob I don't love but still think they're good and unique. Stefano can go. So can all the girls, actually.

Diane Amy
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I wondered about all the bleeping. I thought the show was a live broadcast. I never heard them mention anything about a time delay. Has anyone else?

seaaircarol
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, on the West Coast, it's delayed anyway

On the East Coast, they probably have a few seconds' delay, so they can bleep if necessary. I'm sure it kept them on their toes, though.

seaaircarol
04-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, that was an interesting result.

Didn't much care for Constantine's performance, BTW.

RobJ
04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I didn't see that one coming. None of the others really stands out to me. Could be anyone's.

Nightmirror
04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I didn't agree with the results...AT ALL.

NewKidOldKid
04-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I didn't care for her. I think the girls are all blah this season.

RobJ
05-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Wow, it's almost over. From the last three, I'd like to see Haley win it.

RobJ
05-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I never had that down as the final two. Can't say I have much interest in which one wins it.

seaaircarol
05-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Likewise.

Vince524
05-23-2011, 04:13 AM
It pretty much is over. Lauren has been in the bottom once. Her following isn't as high as Scotty and he won't get the young teen and pre teen girl vote.

If Haley had made the final 2, she may have had a shot. Country has a big following, but there are also ppl out there who hate country and will vote against the country. But why vote against one country for another.