PDA

View Full Version : Ellora's Cave Looking for More Editors

Ann_Mayburn
02-17-2011, 03:47 AM
--not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I know there are a lot of people on AW that could really use this oppertunity. From what I know, the money is good.---

EC's looking for erotica-lovin' content editors w/mad skills! Word ninjas, email employment [at] ellorascave [dot] com for info. Plz RT!

Filigree
03-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Well, Ann, I wrote them with my credentials in mid February. A week later they gave me a sample partial to edit, and I sent that in around late Feb. It's only been 12 days, so I'm not frantic. It would be fun work. I'm already trying to choose between querying EC or Carina for a very hot and zany space opera romance that will be done in a month.

Unimportant
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
From what I know, the money is good.
Any chance you'd have a ballpark $figure/range?

MountainMoon22
03-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I bet this job would be fun. How many words can you think of for...nevermind. :P

Satori1977
03-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Are they still looking? I don't see anything about it on their website.

Filigree
03-10-2011, 04:29 AM
I know figure range, but I'm not certain I can post. It doesn't seem to be listed on the site, and I don't want to spill proprietary information.

I do know that some other non-fiction digital publishing sites pay freelance editors between $170 and $450 per mms, depending on editorial experience and mms size. A skilled and fast copyeditor friend finishes at least two mms a week, and earns an average of around $500 a week -- but she's been doing it for years. And 'week' may have a different definition than normal, as she goes back and forth between the writer on text changes, before anyone gets paid for the final edit. I also know a relatively-new part-timer who makes about $200 a month. You get what you give, in these businesses. They're strictly 1099 (in U.S. tax code), so you have to declare your own withholding.

peer54
03-10-2011, 05:06 AM
I got an email earlier today. They've filled their quota for freelance editors for now but will keep any applications on file.

Kelli Collins
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I got an email earlier today. They've filled their quota for freelance editors for now but will keep any applications on file.

Hey Peer, and anyone else wondering, I'm sorry if the email from Employment was misleading. What it should say is we've reached our test quota. That means we have a scad of tests to review. If none of them manage our minimum skill level for consideration, we'll be sending out more applications and continuing the process until we've found one or two excellent editors. So don't give up hope!

As for wages, I have no issue mentioning our rates here:

Contractor editors are paid by actual word count on finished books.
Editors are paid US $0.0075 cents per word for manuscripts completed on schedule.
Or $0.0055 for those completed after due date (roughly 4 months from contract to finished book; author circumstances may vary).
Books vary in length anywhere from 7,000 up to 120,000+

For example, with an average-size novella of 30K, editor would be paid $225 upon completion of the edits (when the "final" book is turned in, *not* upon publication). For a plus-novel of 100K, the editor would be paid $750, etc.

Our rates are competitive with (and in many cases, much better than) other e-pubs. Though it's prudent to note few people get rich editing for a living. Most editors would tell you they do this because they truly love the job. :)

peer54
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, Kelli. Good to know that there's still hope.

Filigree
03-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks, Kelli. Ellora's is one of two publishers I'm looking at for a space-opera project I'm finishing right now. I won't have it query-ready before late May, and I won't query anyone until I hear back on my test-edit. (Not kosher to work for one e-publisher and sell to another, because of right-of-first-refusal clauses and professional courtesy.)

As you said, most people don't get rich editing. We have other jobs. But it does sound like an absolute blast, and a great way to learn more about the erotic romance market.

Satori1977
03-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Kelli, thanks for the update. That helps a lot. I am wondering what exactly you are looking for. What types of specific skills. A college degree? Experience?

Thanks again.

J Whisketosky
04-03-2011, 05:25 AM
I'd be interested to know what kind of experience you're looking for too. For instance, my degree is in history, but I spent seven years ripping apart academic papers for proofreading and errors. This kind of editorial work is fascinating to me, and if you run out of test quota, I'd love to submit a resume.