sending out snail mail queries 1st?

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I kind of hate snail mail, but there are a few established agencies that insist on it.

Should I follow my natural inclination to query them last?

Or, considering the delays associated with snail mail, send queries to them 1st so they have a chance to respond in time?

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just pick the agents you like best, and query them regardless of snail/e-mail. Obviously snail-mail isn't going to be the fastest response (it's going to be at least a few days) but I've often had snail-mail queries answered faster than some e-queries.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I'd just pick the agents you like best, and query them regardless of snail/e-mail. Obviously snail-mail isn't going to be the fastest response (it's going to be at least a few days) but I've often had snail-mail queries answered faster than some e-queries.

Exactly!

Erik M

Aaaayyy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.martin-inabind.blogspot.com
I query in batches. I'll pick my top ten candidates for a work and query them all, sending the queries in whatever format the agency prefers. As was mentioned, snail mail queries don't always get the slowest response. If I don't get at least one positive response from the first batch, I'll send out ten more to my second picks.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same as others--often I get a faster response from the snail mail. I've also found that the requests I've gotten (bar one) have come via email even though the original query was sent snail mail.

I send in batches, generally email first, and then I go and find a nice chunk of people who require snail mail and make a bunch of packets at once. Snail mail takes a lot more time to do, printing, personalizing, writing out each envelope, etc. I find it's easier to just do them all at once. Then a couple of months later I'd go through the process again and send to another batch. Email is easier, but don't neglect the snail mail.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

This.
You're overthinking it.
Query the agents that are succesful in your genre. The way they prefer to receive queries doesn't come into it.