Do agents who read partials usually comment?

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
I spent the last several months writing a creative nonfiction book. I have a BA in creative writing and literature but it has been some years since I have been involved with writing. I have published some articles and as an undergrad I published 3 short stories.

I am in the process of sending queries and have had some interest. When an agent requests a partial, and I send it, I am understanding that I may not hear for quite some time. When I do, is it likely that the agent will offer comments or does that depend on the agent?

thanks in advance,
feeling foolish as I learn the ropes

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Depends on the agent. If you want, you can check out their profile at QueryTracker or the thread in Bewares & Background Checks here to see what kind of responses people are getting... but it really is a toss-up.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the agent, but it depends even more on the quality of the partial. There's no point in making comments unless the partial is worth commenting on.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had some make suggestions, some not. I think aside from quality, it depends on the agent's policy. You can't just all agents based on what some usually do.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... if it's good, yes; if not, no.

(Not quite as simplistic as that, but in general this seems to be the way it goes.)

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
I remember being taught in school to plaster the wall with rejections. It makes it seem fun. I remembered the advice and was actually excited about my first rejections. I had some requests, too. Actually, I'm rather amazed at how nice some agents and editors can make a rejection sound.