First Acorn, now Planned Parenthood

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
A secretly taped video by a male and a female posing as sex traffickers purportedly shows a Planned Parenthood employee in New Jersey telling them how to secure abortions and contraception for underage girls, anti-abortion activist Lila Rose told CNN Wednesday.

[snip]

After the visits were over, Planned Parenthood notified local authorities of alleged human trafficking and learned of at least 11 visits to facilities in six states over one week "in which persons claiming to be involved in sex trafficking with minors asked for services for young women," according to Planned Parenthood statements.

Planned Parenthood then notified federal authorities, and the FBI is reviewing photos of at least one person making the sex trafficking claims, Schear said. There was no immediate confirmation from the FBI that a review was underway.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/02/abortion.video/index.html?iref=allsearch

Wait, there's more:
Reporting from Washington — In their rush to slash the federal budget, House Republicans are taking aim at Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest provider of abortions, after a campaign season that largely ignored social issues.

A coalition of abortion foes joined an undercover video activist Thursday in demanding that lawmakers cut all funding for Planned Parenthood, which they accused of complicity in the trafficking of underage girls for prostitution. Planned Parenthood denies the allegations.

[snip]

But the current climate, in which calls for fiscal discipline rule the day, presents a new opportunity for antiabortion Republicans who have long opposed Planned Parenthood's receipt of federal funds. Lawmakers said they planned to remain focused on cutting the budget while also moving forward on an issue of key importance to many members of their base.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/10/nation/la-na-abortion-20110211

So, a supposed sting, where a guy dresses as a pimp, supposedly shows corruption in an organization that republicans hate. Then after the video is released, the republicans jump at the chance to de-fund said organization. Is this sounding familiar to anyone else?

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Yeah. Not that it is news that there are some very fanatical people who'll do almost anything to stop abortions (and/or allow women to control their own bodies).

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This disgusts me. Republicans on capitol hill and in the entertainment media (Rush/Glen) will lie, exaggerate, mislead, entrap...anything to push their agenda forward.
Before abortion was rightly legalized, an underground service helped women procure their rightful gynecological medical services http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Collective (not just in Chicago, all over the country). I am prepared to offer my services to assist any woman who wants an abortion. I'm not an MD, but I will help any woman get to one on the underground.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Why should the federal government be providing funds to Planned Parenthood or Acorn in the first place? End lobbying, corporate welfare, etc. but at the same time, agenda based organizations such as Acorn and Planned Parenthood should similarly be responsible for raising their funds from private sources. If government wants to fund preventative birth control services (free condoms, birth control pills) and sexual disease screenings, I am all for it... but subsidizing abortion is NOT something the government should be involved in. If Planned Parenthood is going to maintain its political bias, then there should be a government alternative that DOES NOT have an agenda beyond health.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
. but subsidizing abortion is NOT something the government should be involved in. .

See the federal government subsidizing things I don't agree with too, like war, oil companies, corporate america etc. Planned parenthood provides comprehensive gynecological health care, and yes, abortion is part of that. Whether or not individuals want their tax dollars going there.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, Amy... the government is charged with defense of the nation. I mentioned the corporate subsidies in my post. You can have an entity that provides gynecological services (what about the dudes... aren't they entitled to health and protection too), that is separate and apart from the political discourse. The fact that Planned Parenthood engages in political speech would make it apparent to me, that they should not be funded by the government in order that those funds be used to subsidize that speech. I don't believe in subsidizing farmers so that the dairy council and the pork people can produce ads touting the necessity, greatness of their products either. I'm consistent on this point.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that Planned Parenthood engages in political speech would make it apparent to me, that they should not be funded by the government in order that those funds be used to subsidize that speech.

They are not.

I was a volunteer for many years. Like many, perhaps MOST non-profits who engage in political speech, they have 3 different non-profit designations 501c3, 501c4, and PAC. The 501c3 is the one that gets government funding, and the one that has tax deductable donations. That's the money that pays for the health care services, including pap smears for women with no insurance, birth control, STD checks, etc. 591c3's are bound by law to be non-partisan.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the answer would be require them to be non-political (which, I would argue, they ara), not to deprive poor people of important support often available nowhere else. This isn't for people getting their pubes waxed, they assist women who are often distressed, impoverished, abuse or rape victims etc. Equating that to selling milk strikes me as perverse.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
I think the answer would be require them to be non-political (which, I would argue, they ara), not to deprive poor people of important support often available nowhere else. This isn't for people getting their pubes waxed, they assist women who are often distressed, impoverished, abuse or rape victims etc. Equating that to selling milk strikes me as perverse.

Excuse me? I was making a comparison to other government subsidized entities sucking at the government teet while spinning the American public and politicians. What I find perverse is that somebody would find what I said as equating necessary health services with selling milk, which I did not do. I said quite distinctly that an organization acting as a pseudo governmental agency should not be engaged in politicking. I would appreciate it if we could have a real discourse rather than trying to spin points in a way that attempts to invalidate them by making them seem to be something that they are not.

Last edited:

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
They are not.

I was a volunteer for many years. Like many, perhaps MOST non-profits who engage in political speech, they have 3 different non-profit designations 501c3, 501c4, and PAC. The 501c3 is the one that gets government funding, and the one that has tax deductable donations. That's the money that pays for the health care services, including pap smears for women with no insurance, birth control, STD checks, etc. 591c3's are bound by law to be non-partisan.

My point is, and remains... that the government subsidizes Planned Parenthood. If Planned Parenthood did not have government funds they would have to apply private funds to their health services in order to offset the loss, those activities (or the services they provide) would have to be cut or they would have to forego their politicking. Just because Planned Parenthood is playing a shell game with government money does not mean that the government should be subsidizing the enterprise.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Just because Planned Parenthood is playing a shell game with government money does not mean that the government should be subsidizing the enterprise.

What they do is very standard operating proceedure for any non-profit, and is legal and acceptable. Because they have more than one non-profit arm, they should not receive funding for their non-partisan arm that provides free health care services to women who can't afford it?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
You can have an entity that provides gynecological services (what about the dudes... aren't they entitled to health and protection too), that is separate and apart from the political discourse..

It already exists and for dudes too, and children for vaccinations and all sorts of care. In most counties it's called "The Health Department," and often is underfunded since they don't have a lobby.

Last edited:

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
What they do is very standard operating proceedure for any non-profit, and is legal and acceptable. Because they have more than one non-profit arm, they should not receive funding for their non-partisan arm that provides free health care services to women who can't afford it?

Their non-partisan arm? Thanks for the chuckle.

I absolutely do not want an entity receiving government funds engaging in the lobbying of said government. Color me crazy.

Churches are tax exempt (therefor making them beholden to the government) and cannot endorse candidates, etc. I don't care what loopholes Planned Parenthood utilizes to make what they do "legal", I still disagree with it, and have said so about a half-dozen times in this thread.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gently, folks, please and thank you. Carry on.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
They provide many necessary services to women who cannot get them elsewhere. They bring medical care to impoverished communities that can't take care of their own through personal donations.

The fact that abortion is one of the many services they provide has made them a target.

The far right is willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, where abortion is concerned.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(what about the dudes... aren't they entitled to health and protection too),
You've jumped to the baseless conclusion that men don't benefit from Planned Parenthood services. Let me school ya, dude.

Services offered at Planned Parenthood health centers vary by location. Some of the services include

• checkups for reproductive or sexual health problems
  • colon cancer screening
  • erectile dysfunction services, including education, exams, treatment, and referral
  • jock itch exam and treatment
  • male infertility screening and referral
  • premature ejaculation services, including education, exams, treatment, and referral
  • routine physical exams
  • testicular cancer screenings
  • prostate cancer screenings
  • urinary tract infections testing and treatment
  • vasectomy
Looks like plenty of benefits for dudes, not to mention that they benefit too when their wives or lovers have access to adequate sexual health and reproductive services.

I don't believe in subsidizing farmers so that the dairy council and the pork people can produce ads touting the necessity, greatness of their products either. I'm consistent on this point.
Except it's not really a consistent argument. There is a world of difference between addressing the sexual health needs of individual men and women and subsidizing profits for mega corporations.

Last edited:

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
You've jumped to the baseless conclusion that men don't benefit from Planned Parenthood services. Let me school ya, dude.

Looks like plenty of benefits for dudes, not to mention that they benefit too when their wives or lovers have access to adequate sexual health and reproductive services.

Nah, dude :D ... the point was that she focused in on the gyno aspects of Planned Parenthood and I took exception. I know they provide services to men.

Except it's not really a consistent argument. There is a world of difference between addressing the sexual health needs of individual men and women and subsidizing profits for mega corporations.

No it is a consistent argument because they're all taking money from the government and should not then be allowed to advocate for their causes with the extra funds they have because of the "generosity" of our government. I pointed to churches as well, who are tax exempt and therefor banned from supporting political candidates, etc. By the nature of their tax status churches are to an extent, denied their first amendment rights.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No it is a consistent argument because they're all taking money from the government and should not then be allowed to advocate for their causes with the extra funds they have because of the "generosity" of our government.
I will concede that is a consistent argument.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Their non-partisan arm? Thanks for the chuckle.

What do you mean by this? Have you ever worked with a non-profit? There are rules about what they are allowed to do, depending on what non-profit designation they have.

I absolutely do not want an entity receiving government funds engaging in the lobbying of said government. Color me crazy.

Churches are tax exempt (therefor making them beholden to the government) and cannot endorse candidates, etc. I don't care what loopholes Planned Parenthood utilizes to make what they do "legal", I still disagree with it, and have said so about a half-dozen times in this thread.

Yes, you've said that. I don't understand WHY you disagree with it. They get government funding for their health care services. Why do you have a problem with them having a COMPLETELY SEPARATE non-profit designation which does NOT get government funding doing other things? The money they get for their 501c3 does not go to their 501c4 or PAC. They are kept completely separate.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I pointed to churches as well, who are tax exempt and therefor banned from supporting political candidates, etc. By the nature of their tax status churches are to an extent, denied their first amendment rights.
Churches skirt this all the time, both on the left and the right. Perceived moral issues bleed into political issues, whether it's liberation theology or abortion prevention.

The LDS church, for example, contributed money for the support of California's Prop 8, and urged its members to do the same. They saw it as a moral issue, but it was also a political voter initiative.

Many conservative pastors use their pulpit to rail against Obama. The Rev Jeremiah used his to rail against Bush and corporate America.

Few, except some libertarians, want to do away with tax exempt status for churches.

The point is that there are aspects of politics that are intertwined with society, and no non-profit can escape that. That's why there are rules, to a least limit political influence, and PP is in compliance with those rules. Planned Parenthood is no different that any other group. Except, in the services they provide. And that's why they're being singled out by conservative groups.

If one wants to say that no group should be tax exempt, period, including Planned Parenthood, that's one thing. But to single out Planned Parenthood while pretending that church ministries and other groups are different, is hypocrisy. It's just another battle in the long term conservative strategy to limit abortions in any way they can.