PDA

View Full Version : Looking for beta reader for young adult sci-fi

Zoombie
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey all!

I'm editing my way through Debris Dreams, my young adult science fiction. I think it's pretty damn good, but who cares what I think! I need a beta-reader to help chainsaw it into quality.

But what is Debris Dreams? I'm glad you asked!

Debris Dreams tells the story of Drusilla Xao. Dru has never been to Earth, but she cannot wait to go. She spends her time on the Hub - a space station that hangs almost 1.5 million kilometers above the Earth's surface - waiting for the new year, where the Space Elevator (a massive orbital elevator that will cut the huge costs of traveling too and from the earth to almost nothing) is being constructed. Her parents, you see, are part of the work crew and they had her when the project began.

Dru counts the days between now and then, as on the Earth, she won't need worry about a blowout killing her, nor how the wrong movement at the wrong time could kill those around her. But more than that, she wants to finally meet Sarah Cayer, her long distance girlfriend, in person.

However, Dru's dreams are shattered when terrorists called the Lunar Separatist Movement sabotage the elevator. They have long resented Earth's control over their lunar colonies, and see the elevator as a way to turn control into direct oppression. The elevator explodes, spreading a halo of debris into Earth's orbit and dropping 500 miles of half-finished elevator cable onto Africa, killing millions.

Now, Dru and her fellow teenagers (being the only spacers without vital duties to fulfill) are conscripted into the war to bring the terrorists to justice. The only thing keeping Dru sane in a world gone quite insane is her continual correspondence with Sarah, and her continued hope to one day set foot on Earth.

The novel deals with long distance love, isolation, friendships formed and lost, and the harsh realities of war, whether they're fought with pulse lasers or clubs.

I'm looking for someone who actually knows very little about science. This is supposed to be accessibly hard science fiction. I've already got a science adviser :D Basically, I need to know if I explain enough, if the explanations flow with the voice and story, are the explanations are understandable, and what I can remove without degrading the experience.

I want to avoid shoving the science into the readers face, and rather have it be a natural and necessary part of the story.

If you are interested in reading this, PM me!