Query again or not?

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I am querying for my first finished novel now. When I sent out my first round of queries, I got some great feedback from a few agents that resulted in big revisions on my manuscript and my query letter. I wasn't offered representation from them on the revisions but was given some more feedback from a couple.

Well, there are a few agents who just never responded, which I take to be a no. However since I made huge changes to things and even my query letter is different, should I just send it to those ones again? Or should I let it go and assume they just aren't interested?

If they somehow remember my initial query and then see that I'm querying again will I be put on the author's naughty list? LOL

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I would say that if your query and manuscript have seen major changes, it would be okay to query again. I've heard it said that you should mention it in your query: "Blah, blah blah, the manuscript has been significantly revised since I last queried you, would you be interested in seeing it again?"

The worst that can happen is another rejection, remember.

Zola

Registered
Reaction score
This is just my opinion - I have no inside information at all. But I would suggest querying everyone else you wanted to query first, and then going back to people you already queried at the end of the process. You wouldn't want to query them a month or two later with the same book, even if it was heavily changed. But 5 or 6 months later, I don't think they would remember you. And even though I know many agents would SAY don't query me again with the same project, the reality is if they rejected it on the query stage, they know very little about your project and may have rejected it simply because of the way the query was structured, NOT because they actually wouldn't like your book.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I read on an agent blog that she remembers when people re-submit and it reinforces her opinion that she's glad she rejected the query.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I have a partial out to an agent who remembered my first query six months later. I'd thought she never got it, but she had. Fortunately, it was a slightly more positive than negative memory, and she asked to see more.

Every agency is different. It might pay off to obsessively research who is cool with nudges and re-submissions, and who doesn't want to see your name in an email EVER AGAIN.

Filigree

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Well, it depends. If you're sure it's a rejection, move on. If you think it got lost in the mail/cyber-space, send it again with a letter that explicitly states that you aren't sure if it ever reached the agent. Don't mention it's been redone. If someone doesn't ask you for a rewrite it's rude to give one to them anyway.