Missed goals/deadlines?

Exile87

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
First off, sorry I haven't been around here lately! Since I stopped posting on the LOTD thread, I've been pretty much absent from the forums. I missed you guys!

Back on topic...

I started my current WIP in mid-November. I was making good progress and planned to have it done by mid-February...aka today. Unfortunately, I did not make that goal. I'm only six/seven chapters from finishing, too! They're shorties...on average six pages double-spaced, so I'm soooo close!

Have you ever missed your own goals/deadlines? Moreover, what are you current goals?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Self-imposed? Almost always. Not self-imposed? Hardly ever.

I have to prioritize my writing around other things in my life, and sometimes those other things gain the top priority. If I've got a work deadline or something going on that needs to be taken care of or whatever, those things come first. Sometimes it's even something like "I'm trying to get through a beta read as quickly as possible and it's taking longer than I thought."

Don't beat yourself up over it too much. You're still making headway, and sometimes things get in the way. I see a goal as an aim to reach for, but if I don't make it, that's okay, too. I set a new goal and keep trying. The trying is the most important part, IMO.

Unprofessional goals specifically. Again, I'm really great about getting things done on time when it is a

Exile87

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm not beating myself up! Just wanted to discuss the subject! hehe

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I go by my personal deadlines too and sometimes its because I have a professional deadline that takes priority. Or sometimes a personal matter that must take priority. We do a history quarterly at work so that always must be finished first no matter what.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the first draft of my first book in six months (June - December 2009). It's been fourteen months since then and I might have a quantity of finished work equal to one full-length novel, but it's spread across three stories.

Of course, for some of this time I was revising and sending out query letters for the first book (which have so far failed to get me an agent, so I've taken a break from that).

But some of the slow progress has been due to depression; I've had a job situation that started last summer and has gotten worse, and writing about a group of people with glamorous jobs in a city I love to visit isn't as much of an escape as one might think.