fill-in-the-blank query

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't consider this a fill-in-the-blank query. It's a form to fill out, but the "description" part is there for your pitch just like in the query.

I expected this to be a thread that talked about a mad-libs-like query where you fill in the MC's name and stakes at certain points of the paragraph and the rest is pre-made for you ;) (Something like this: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2008/03/query-letter-mad-lib.html)

Raquel

Registered
Reaction score
That seems like a good place to start Sage. Thanks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I can see how having a unified submital form would make things simpler. But it doesn't leave much room for a voice or writer skills

http://www.zackcompany.com/how-to-query-us.html

It leaves as much room as any other query. This is all stuff that should be in every query, just through common sense. You still have to write the details that make a query good or bad.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I've come across online forms before, it's not unusual, but it's also not common. Just go with it.
You can still use your voice, and your query, they just want to control the information and how they get it.
No biggy.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
My only complaint about those form letter queries is that it's a pain to dissect my query letter into pieces for them or rewrite stuff in the 2 paragraph or 3 sentences format they want. My query letter has been put through the ringer and worked to death. It has gotten me plenty of requests for partials and then to fill out their form, I have to pull it all apart.

I understand why they do the forms, but from a writer's standpoint querying is already enough work as it is because they all have differing submission guidelines.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to say one agency asked two questions I thought were just plain silly on their fill in the blank form. One was to write down the title and author of the last book you read. What is this high school? Are you checking to see if I actually read? I have small children, so mine would likely be along the lines of Dr. Seuss to be honest. Between running my business, caring for my kids and my own writing endeavors I have little time for pleasure reading these days. And the last book I did read, I totally forgot the author so I had to go look it up. He's a new guy, not a classic (gasp! and eyeroll)

Then they wanted me to choose my favorite sentence from my 99K word novel. So I had to go perusing my novel looking for a favorite sentence of the many sentences I have written, all of which I've become particularly fond.

I almost didn't query them because I thought they might be a pain to deal with but they've sold a lot of books so I went ahead and filled out their form.

Raquel

Registered
Reaction score
That does sound like a giant pain Sandsurfgirl. Hope you get something from it.